Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi 6MT Sedan
Question Special Machine to remove Run Flats?

I'm getting ready to get my run flats removed and replacing them with non run flats. Is there a special machine needed to have them safely removed and to insure there is no damage to the rims?

Below is a quote from another post which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
There are tire machines made to remove run flat tires along with conventional go flats. My friend owns a tire shop and he purchased the machine. The older machines will destroy your rims if they try to get the tire off with it.

Last edited by BDSBMer; 08-31-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Any reputable tire shop can do this, whether run flats or not. They all have the proper equipment to change tires without rim damage.......you hope! even with the proper equipment, human error comes up unfortunately from time to time!

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 08-31-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
Any reputable tire shop can do this, whether run flats or not. They all have the proper equipment to change tires without rim damage.......you hope! even with the proper equipment, human error comes up unfortunately from time to time!
Yup! Had my 19" scratched at BMW service once, got really pissed as I assumed being the dealership it was the safest place to have them done. Nope!! They did repair after I made a fuss but lesson learned, anybody can screw up a rim if they are not paying attention. It's up to you to inspect before leaving and facility.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Having the proper equipment and experience to mount/dismount RFTs was a problem with some shops 10 years ago when BMW first started equipping some models with RFTS, but should not be an issue now.

The safest course may be to simply ask the shop if they have handled BMW RFTs before having the work done.

Tom
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Take pictures of your Rims before new tires.

Take pictures of your Rims before new tires.
I had a bad install on an E46 and it didn't involve runflats at all.
They had a new low profile tire machine and the dude didn't know
how to run it . This can happen anywhere.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
It does take a machine built to change run flats - most good shops have them, the corner garage may not at they run about 20k, but the guy running it can still mess up a wheel. One of the bigger shops near me has the right machine and still scratched the **** out of my rim last time and just gave it back like they did nothing wrong. The dealer has not scratched any wheels when I have gone there, but they did mess one up once, but when I got there to pick them up, it had been replaced with a new one, so at least they own up to their actions, but charge a lot more also.

Either way, take good pictures talk to the place you get them done about scratching them and if they will be fixing it if they scratch it before you let them start work.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It does take a machine built to change run flats - most good shops have them, the corner garage may not at they run about 20k, but the guy running it can still mess up a wheel. One of the bigger shops near me has the right machine and still scratched the **** out of my rim last time and just gave it back like they did nothing wrong. The dealer has not scratched any wheels when I have gone there, but they did mess one up once, but when I got there to pick them up, it had been replaced with a new one, so at least they own up to their actions, but charge a lot more also.

Either way, take good pictures talk to the place you get them done about scratching them and if they will be fixing it if they scratch it before you let them start work.

Does both....
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 AM

Thank you all!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Exclamation Is it just me or is replacing run flats full of potential issues?

Just went to a tire shop and they said the run flats could be ruined when removed!! Anyone ever heard that one???? Here's some others I read about this week!

- Replacing run flats will void warranty - My dealer said not true. Do I need it in writing?
- Suspension is setup for run flats - dealer said no
- Special machine required to remove - At least a newer one
- Goo vs spare - goo no good; spare needs tools and tie downs
- Wheel may not be able to handle non run flats - older cars
- Scratched rims - hope the tire changer's in a good mood
- Run flat tire may be ruined when bead is broken -?
- Hope there's no more!

Last edited by BDSBMer; 09-02-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Special Machine to remove Run Flats?

I replaced the Run Flats when my 335i was few weeks old and and two years later replaced the OEM shocks with Koni FSDs.

My car is serviced by BMW Manhattan, which is owned by BMW North America.
They are aware of the mods and warranty service has never been an issue.

I find the way the car drives now, both in terms of handling and ride quality, to be far superior to the way it came from the factory with the horrible RFTs and the poorly sorted out stock suspension.

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I replaced the Run Flats when my 335i was few weeks old and and two years later replaced the OEM shocks with Koni FSDs.

My car is serviced by BMW Manhattan, which is owned by BMW North America.
They are aware of the mods and warranty service has never been an issue.

I find the way the car drives now, both in terms of handling and ride quality, to be far superior to the way it came from the factory with the horrible RFTs and the poorly sorted out stock suspension.

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks CA! Glad to hear it all worked out. I may have to see about getting it done at my dealer or at least a shop with experience with run flats!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSBMer View Post
Just went to a tire shop and they said the run flats could be ruined when removed!! Anyone ever heard that one???? Here's some others I read about this week!

- Replacing run flats will void warranty - My dealer said not true. Do I need it in writing?
- Suspension is setup for run flats - dealer said no
- Special machine required to remove - At least a newer one
- Goo vs spare - goo no good; spare needs tools and tie downs
- Wheel may not be able to handle non run flats - older cars
- Scratched rims - hope the tire changer's in a good mood
- Hope there's no more!
Good grief...where do we start?

Yes, I've seen RF tire beads damaged (torn) upon (both) mounting and dismounting due to:
a) outdated equipment
b) inexperienced tech.

In this case, the shop is responsible for the damage - tire replacement!

1. What warranty? BMW doesn't warrant the tires...the individual tire manufacturer does. Read your warranty booklet.
2. Suspension? Those who have fitted non-RFs report an improved ride.
3. Mounting machine? Modern mounting machines designed for RF tires with trained techs are highly recommended.
4. Goo? Not one TPMS manufacturer recommends the use of goo sealant.
5. Wheels? Only certain wheels designated as "EH-2, or EH-2 plus (extended hump)" should be used with RF tires. RF tires should not be fitted to non EH-2 wheels.
6. Scratched wheels? Older mounting equipment with inexperienced techs = possible wheel damage. Bridgestone/Firestone company stores seem to have the latest equipment and experience in dealing with RFs IMO.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Good grief...where do we start?

Yes, I've seen RF tire beads damaged (torn) upon (both) mounting and dismounting due to:
a) outdated equipment
b) inexperienced tech.

In this case, the shop is responsible for the damage - tire replacement!

1. What warranty? BMW doesn't warrant the tires...the individual tire manufacturer does. Read your warranty booklet.
2. Suspension? Those who have fitted non-RFs report an improved ride.
3. Mounting machine? Modern mounting machines designed for RF tires with trained techs are highly recommended.
4. Goo? Not one TPMS manufacturer recommends the use of goo sealant.
5. Wheels? Only certain wheels designated as "EH-2, or EH-2 plus (extended hump)" should be used with RF tires. RF tires should not be fitted to non EH-2 wheels.
6. Scratched wheels? Older mounting equipment with inexperienced techs = possible wheel damage. Bridgestone/Firestone company stores seem to have the latest equipment and experience in dealing with RFs IMO.
Thanks for your input. These are just things I read both here and on other forums and I'm trying to see what is true/false! The warranty I was referring to was not for the tire but the car itself!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: E92 328i
CALWATERBOY thanks for that post with the vid. Only a few days ago I tried to remove one of the Bridgestone RFT's on my 2012 328i and realized my 20 year old Corghi rim clamp was not the right tool for the job! Sure, I've mounted/dismounted Hoosier 12" slicks and lots of low profile street tires...even pulled the Firestone RFT's from my Z06...but it was not going to work on the Bridgestone's. After watching the Coats video....I see why....LOL

Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
95% of tire shops can

some older shops can't remove 19"
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Dang. Watching that video, I wouldn't be surprised if a tire shop charged a lot more to work with those rims on that machine. I could change three tires on a conventional rim in the time it takes to do that one - given the multiple, multiple operations. Time is $.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Dang. Watching that video, I wouldn't be surprised if a tire shop charged a lot more to work with those rims on that machine. I could change three tires on a conventional rim in the time it takes to do that one - given the multiple, multiple operations. Time is $.
While that Coats is absolutely the right way to change out RFT's, there are lesser machines that can do a fine job PROVIDED the operator knows what he's doing.

Even with my old dinosaur of a rim clamp machine, I can do standard tires without issue, very wide R comp's require the aid of another pair of hands to help do what that Coats does automatically, however even with another pair of hands I could not compress the Bridgestone RFT sidewalls enough to drop the beads into the mounting groove on my V spoke 152's. This is probably the first tire I cannot do on this machine.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal3 View Post
... however even with another pair of hands I could not compress the Bridgestone RFT sidewalls enough to drop the beads into the mounting groove on my V spoke 152's. This is probably the first tire I cannot do on this machine.
AH! Thanks. There's the key. I didn't consider how stiff the sidewalls on the run-flats must be. Thanks for the detail. Perfectly understandable.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
my favorite tire shop uses hunter equipment... i've seen the coats gear in action too.

fascinating how the new changes work. here's a hunter auto 34
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index2.cfm?v=67&cat=7
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
my favorite tire shop uses hunter equipment... i've seen the coats gear in action too.

fascinating how the new changes work. here's a hunter auto 34
http://www.hunter.com/videos/index2.cfm?v=67&cat=7
That is the ****! Leverless is the key. No more manually prying tire beads. Wow.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Modern mounting/dismounting equipment makes it more difficult for the installer to damage wheels. There are many claims that mounting machines are "touchless," but that's not entirely true.

There's always the "operator/tech" (human) factor. Things can always go wrong...your wheels can still get damaged, and unfortunately they often do except in the most conscientious shops.

Hunter is certainly a leading edge equipment manufacturer as is Corghi (Italy), but you can find obsolete equipment in many small garages. Sometimes skilled operators can overcome the age of the equipment, but not always.

Prior to my recent retirement I had the privilege of a personal relationship with Hunter's product development manager (he's since left the company) and frequent communications with Corghi. I had Hunter equipment in my technical center (GSP 9700 "road force" machines and their best mounting machines).

I can understand how even the "best" ...most expensive mounting machine can damage wheels if not used properly (my Gen 'Y' engineers certainly managed to do it. ).

ALWAYS take note of the condition of your wheels: dings, dents, gouges, scratches...with the service center people prior to tire/wheel service, with the (tire) dealership.

Make notes and compare AFTERWARDS as you pick up your car.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:

ALWAYS take note of the condition of your wheels: dings, dents, gouges, scratches...with the service center people prior to tire/wheel service, with the (tire) dealership.

Digital cameras in cell phones are a very convenient way to take pictures of each wheel's condition before the car is serviced...just in case.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Modern mounting/dismounting equipment makes it more difficult for the installer to damage wheels. There are many claims that mounting machines are "touchless," but that's not entirely true.

There's always the "operator/tech" (human) factor. Things can always go wrong...your wheels can still get damaged, and unfortunately they often do except in the most conscientious shops.

Hunter is certainly a leading edge equipment manufacturer as is Corghi (Italy), but you can find obsolete equipment in many small garages. Sometimes skilled operators can overcome the age of the equipment, but not always.

Prior to my recent retirement I had the privilege of a personal relationship with Hunter's product development manager (he's since left the company) and frequent communications with Corghi. I had Hunter equipment in my technical center (GSP 9700 "road force" machines and their best mounting machines).

I can understand how even the "best" ...most expensive mounting machine can damage wheels if not used properly (my Gen 'Y' engineers certainly managed to do it. ).

Actually, not true at all. Something has to hold the wheel on the table, whether using inside or outside clamps, or whether nylon sleeves are used or not. Also, when prying the bead over the duckhead the pry bar will very often push the 'beak' into the wheel edge even if the distance is set up right.
But I know you know all that.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Actually, not true at all. Something has to hold the wheel on the table, whether using inside or outside clamps, or whether nylon sleeves are used or not. Also, when prying the bead over the duckhead the pry bar will very often push the 'beak' into the wheel edge even if the distance is set up right.
But I know you know all that.
I'm holding back. The table clamps can leave "itty bitty" marks on the inside of the wheel if nylon sleeves aren't used. This wouldn't bother most people as you'll never see them, but then again there's...
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i sedan
I agree but I had a local well known shop mount my then new tires on the AG m359 rims I bought. According to him, it was flawless except for one small, small dent, which came from the factory. The paint was perfect so that I was my assumption. Needless to say I had these black lines develop on the outer edge of the rims from the person, who mounted the wheels. Really disappointed. I didn't inspect them before I left. Yes my mistake. Noticed it that same night.