Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: GT 535i
Front Dome/Map Interior Lights

I've bought some interior LED lights meant to replace the stock yellow bulbs. So far, I've managed to replaced all interior lights except the ones located on the front dome/map housing.

I've researched the internet and got reference pictures and DIY guides. There is so far nothing I can find that is specific to 5GT F07 and the closest reference is for F10.

I don't think the front dome housing is the same as F10 nor F01. My question really is.... has anyone successfully changed the light bulbs located on the front dome housing? If so, any tips or pictures please?

Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
This is mission critical!!! First thing: Ignition OFF!

I did change mine a week ago on the F07. There are two metal clamps under the dome light towards the wind shield.
So the trick is to pull the whole housing out (downwards) at the wind shield FIRST. Use a platic strip or something so you dont damage the interiour. I just used my fingernails

SECOND, after it is hanging lose at the front push the whole dome light then towards the wind shield. It has two platic hooks at the end and they only slip out of the roof frame by pushing the whole dome light towards the wind shield.

The procedure is critical. I damaged somehow the electronic circuit board in the dome light (static sensitiv) and the whole thing stopped working after I installed the led lights.
My reading/map lights stopped working, the make up mirror lights where dead and my sun roof did not open anymore and the whole thing was just blown and produced alot of error logs.
The circuit also controls the back seat fond lights, so the map lights there stopped working too. I first thought I blew a fuse but they where all fine.

BMW replaced the part on warranty (I had much luck), else they can charge up to $500 to replace the whole unit (incl. labor and new coding).

When you are not sure you can do the job, see a local BMW dealer and ask how much it is to replace the light bulbs. Maybe this avoids some grief and saves some money

Last edited by FredM; 09-01-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 AM

I can from some reference pictures of F10 front dome housing that there are two front metal clips facing the windscreen but for the life of me, I couldn't locate them. I tried pulling down the housing (the part facing the windscreen) as far down as I could, used torch and everything but I don't see those metal clips. This is really frustrating.

Is it a case that you can forcefully pull down the front housing facing the windscreen down like 1cm before you can see the metal clips? This I think is the final step that I couldn't get it right. If I can sort this out, then I think it is just the two center metal clips left to take the entire housing down.

Do you happen to take a picture of the entire housing by any chance? Is it exactly the same as the F10 front dome housing?

Unfortunately, the BMW dealer here won't help out even if you offered to pay for labour fees. Sighs.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddie View Post
I can from some reference pictures of F10 front dome housing that there are two front metal clips facing the windscreen but for the life of me, I couldn't locate them. I tried pulling down the housing (the part facing the windscreen) as far down as I could, used torch and everything but I don't see those metal clips. This is really frustrating.

Is it a case that you can forcefully pull down the front housing facing the windscreen down like 1cm before you can see the metal clips? This I think is the final step that I couldn't get it right. If I can sort this out, then I think it is just the two center metal clips left to take the entire housing down.

Do you happen to take a picture of the entire housing by any chance? Is it exactly the same as the F10 front dome housing?

Unfortunately, the BMW dealer here won't help out even if you offered to pay for labour fees. Sighs.

Thanks for your help!
reddie, maybe you missunderstood. You dont see the metall clamps. All what I wanted to point out is that the unit is clipped in by the metal clips. You see them when the unit is released and is hanging lose or hanging out. When you see them, they are released and nothing more is to do at the front. Later when you push the unit in again the metal clips will just snap in again after you put it together in back order again.

Getting it out:
Pull it down at the front, move it out from the plastic clips at the end
Getting it in:
Slide it in with the plastic clips at the end, snap it in with the front metal clips

It should be the same as on the F10. I can not provide any pictures cause I am afraid to remove my unit again and I did not take pictures before

I found this PDF (Page 6-8, Steps 1 to 8) how to remove that thing:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=721665

Last edited by FredM; 09-01-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
See previous F07 thread - All interior bulbs replaced with LED. I had no problem replacing all interior bulbs, EXCEPT dome lights. Took car to dealership and they did it for me! I vaguely remember paying around $30 because I broke one of the clasps/clamps and they had to glue it back together.
I actually wouldn't suggest replacing the dome bulbs because between breaking clips and shorting out circuit boards (yikes), it just isn't worth the gamble of the DIY.

Also, might want to consider LED 194/T10 strips for the footwell because it provides way more illumination than a bulb.

Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F07
if its any help I have attached the pics of the light cluster removed so you get an idea of where the clips are...good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	395989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	395990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	395991  

Last edited by vincenzo; 09-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks Vincenzo, that's very helpful indeed.

It's really the two front clips that I seriously have problems taking off. If only I've seen this pictures... cos I've ordered the original BMW led lights and will have the service center change it for me tomorrow. This is unfortunately the only way BMW will change the lights for me. Sighs.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
GT = hi&bye

What do the original BMW led lights look like? Can you post a pic? Are they much more expensive than a standard 194/T10 bulb?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM
GT = hi&bye

Also, do the original BMW led bulbs give off more illumination?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Hi guys! I kept wanting to take a picture of the BMW original LED lights but kept forgetting. Finally, I got to do it.

Here's a picture of how it looks like. It's not as bright as other 3rd party lights but decent.

Picture taken using iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	407241  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM
GT = hi&bye

Hard to tell, but judging from the pic, the illumination seems to be very similar.
Only difference is the BMW OEM bulb is at least 5x more expensive!
Go figure!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
Hard to tell, but judging from the pic, the illumination seems to be very similar.
Only difference is the BMW OEM bulb is at least 5x more expensive!
Go figure!
As I mentioned before, the only reason why I've got the original BMW LED lights is because this is the only way BMW HK will replace the front dome lights for me. They will not accept a service fee to change 3rd party lights. It's only the front dome lights having the original lights. The rest of the LED lights are 3rd party and easy to change. Not taking any chances with the front dome. Just too difficult.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
GT = hi&bye

Oh, ok. That makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I think anyone who wants to do this mod should visit the dealer for replacement of the map/dome lights. Rather be safe than sorry!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
if its any help I have attached the pics of the light cluster removed so you get an idea of where the clips are...good luck
Vicenzo, do your pics show the trim bezel removed from the larger housing/assembly? If so, why remove the trim bezel? Can you pop the trim bezel off first and gain access to be able to release the metal clips?
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM

rogueshot,yes the trim bezel is removed - you need to remove this to be able to access the metal clips that are pressed to release the light cluster.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
rogueshot,yes the trim bezel is removed - you need to remove this to be able to access the metal clips that are pressed to release the light cluster.
sorry for being slow but if you remove the trim bezel first and can access the metal clips, do you still pull down on the front edge of the whole console to drop it down before sliding it towards the windshield to free the side clips? or with trim bezel removed are you able to release the metal clips without puling the front edge down with force?
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM

no worries mate - so basically i removed the bezel then released the 2 clips at the back (circled in red) and then the 2 on the side (circled in green) - you have to then pull the cluster down with quite a bit of force (circled in blue)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	407764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	407765  

Last edited by vincenzo; 11-16-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM

also, when i removed the cluster i used some good trim removal tools - see attached picture...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51xkbZyyGcL._SX450_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	407768  
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
no worries mate - so basically i removed the bezel then released the 2 clips at the back (circled in red) and then the 2 on the side (circled in green) - you have to then pull the cluster down with quite a bit of force (circled in blue)
Perfectly clear now! thanks!