Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Wink Test drove x35i X1 from service dept loaner!

Oh yeah - what a BIG difference going from a basic stripped down s28i to an almost fully loaded M Sport line x35i !

My previous post of a stripped down s28i was just awful - steering, handling, performance and features were about to turn me away until.....

I got to drive a service dept loaner X1 x35i and absolutely loved it!

This X1 had just about everything: M sport line with 19" M wheels plus Technology, Cold Weather, Lighting, and Premium packages.

The M Sport line really adds some nice touches inside and out.

Some items I found worth mentioning:
  • Steering wheel was the very nice M wheel with thicker padding.
  • Body kit was amazing - makes the X1 look massive - fuller - well built...
  • Engine exhaust note was an impressive rumble that means business
  • Panoramic moon roof was great compared to my standard moon roof in my 335d.
  • AWD traction felt great especially taking curves - felt like road magnets. Now I know why AWD traction (X Drive) is so good on dry, wet, snow conditions - they really like to stick onto the road!
  • Driving it was just as impressive - off the line quick and revs very nicely to speed.
  • Steering was amazing - felt just like my 335d. Guess the HPS was the trick to satisfying a BMW driver!
  • BTW: This x35i can get you in trouble with the police because I found myself going over 80MPH on the freeways without even noticing.
  • It didn't have the upper speed passing power like my 335 diesel but then for a gasoline engine, it has it's benefits.
  • The suspension was a concern (Sport suspension with run flat 19" tires) but not even close to how stiff my 335d is!
  • Very smooth and bumps were not harsh even with the 19" wheels. Makes my 335d with 18" sport suspension feel much rougher...

The terrible part was the loaner I was driving was up for sale with less then 4000 miles on it - oh the temptation.....

So sorry to lose the diesel, but I am going to Munich next spring to get an X1 or 328x GT. Haven't decided yet...
Derek did meet me when I was returning the X1 today and showed me the 3 GT they were showcasing this weekend.

Thanks to my favorite dealer: Shelly BMW in Buena Park I am now stuck with decisions....

The only issue I had was the Navigation would not show true time traffic info. See my last photo - if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7441.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	394445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7436.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	394446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7437.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	394447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	394448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7439.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	394449  

Last edited by Pat_X5; 08-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: x1 x28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
The only issue I had was the Navigation would not show true time traffic info. See my last photo - if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.....
You have to change to a different view (you're on the default one) - I think it is gray map with traffic (something like that).
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
yes you need to set it to show the real time traffic.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM

Ah, thanks!
Appreciate uncovering the mystery....
It's always nice to have folks that have answers for those that are lost...
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Shelly is a great dealer for purchase (I prefer Crevier for service). You can get a great deal on a 2013 M Sport from them if you don't mind not having paddle shifters. I custom ordered mine from them since I wanted paddles.

The performance on curves could be attributed to Performance Control torque vectoring (exclusive to M Sports on the US).
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Shelly is a great dealer for purchase (I prefer Crevier for service). You can get a great deal on a 2013 M Sport from them if you don't mind not having paddle shifters. I custom ordered mine from them since I wanted paddles.

The performance on curves could be attributed to Performance Control torque vectoring (exclusive to M Sports on the US).
+1 nospam

I am glad there are people like you that have the same level of sophistication & specific needs I have.

Never thought the X1 M Sport line would be such an improvement over the standard lines.

Over the past BMWs, M packages were stiff seats, stiff suspensions, bigger wheels and thinner tires. So I never really gave it much thought on my past BMWs as they were geared more for the track racer and kidney busting rides.

Not now....

Now on the X1s I have to say the M sport line brings out more of the original BMW feel that I became addicted to: steering response, handling, traction, DTC/DTS for safety, minimal body roll, slap your back against the seat acceleration.

My first BMW being an E53 (2000-2006 X5), it came with such performance and drive connection to the road that I had to have the same from all future cars. Biggest attraction was the steering and handling which hydraulic systems made it possible combined with the AWD system. It is interesting to note that the E53 had a fixed 40%/60% front/rear torque distribution (pre X Drive). Stunning to see how you can't even try to flip the car while taking on corners from a higher center of gravity (COG) vehicle. Most cars back then that were of the SUV type were easy to flip over due to the high COG. When BMW made that E53 that was virtually impossible to lose control in turns, evasive maneuvers, and on slippery conditions, I was hooked !

That being said, back to 2013 - the X1 s28i base car was no match for my specific needs - big turnoff with that particular build. So I had to have that connected drive feel from a hydraulic steering rack which the x28 and x35 offer.

I must say that the s28i is only for "Buick/Cadillac" drivers looking for that disconnected, numb, sloppy steering, and no feedback driving. In other words, not exciting. The s28i is a car that will get you from point A to point B without any fanfare.

So having test drove the x35i, I am having a tough time deciding between the x28i and x35i.

Oh my the decisions I am facing...

And yes, Shelly BMW (and Irvine BMW which is owned by the same person) is great to deal with - especially if you have purchased from them before. It's also great to get a low price right off the bat when you have previous purchase history with them.

As a matter of fact, my CA (Derek Dicker) said if I wanted almost any car for European Delivery which I do want to do next spring that he can offer $500 over European Delivery Invoice which means I would save over $5000 from US MSRP ! Plus I would add in the incentives so what a deal Shelly can do. They are very Internet savvy and know that why try to play games when they know they can draw in customers like us who want the lowest bottom line.

Last edited by Pat_X5; 09-01-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
My experience is that any dealer you have previously purchased a BMW from is going to give you the best deal. On my 2013 X135 i got about 20% off due to dealer loyalty.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
My experience is that any dealer you have previously purchased a BMW from is going to give you the best deal. On my 2013 X135 i got about 20% off due to dealer loyalty.
Noticed you are in Irvine.
Was your dealer Irvine BMW ?