Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Do we need dealers?

I would do a better job ordering my car myself through Bmw website if that would be possible. After spending a month waiting for my car to go into production, it finally did today BUT I had to call my dealer and REJECT it because some of my packages got lost in translation between my original order - the dealer - and the factory. It has become clear today, after seeing it on under my account on the bmw website that something went wrong. And I have to wait another month or more for my new order. That makes me think... Wouldn't be nice to sit at your computer, select your options, take a break for few days, edit it later, add what you what and or remove what you don't and finally place your order and pick it up from your dealership in few weeks? BMW pays dealership for service. Isn't what they just should be doing - service? Why do we need to pay the dealer additional share? Just thinking.
'96 318 Ti - Sold @ 157,000 miles
'95 318 Ti - Retired @ 265,000 miles
'84 633 CSi - Sold @ 250,000 kilometers
'74 3.0 CSL - Sold @ 225,000 kilometers
'70 2002 Tii - Sold @ 175,000 kilometers
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Tesla thinks that we don't need dealers, and some Teslas will out-accelerate an X3 0-60.

This time, have the dealer print you out a copy of the Order Acceptance. It's a Vehicle Inquiry Report that will detail everything that has been ordered.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Do we need dealers?

What exactly went wrong? What did they order/not order for this mix up?
Ask the dealer if they can set you up with a loner if you don't have a second vehicle. If it was 10000% sure it was their fault.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by guyver626; 09-01-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
What exactly went wrong? What did they order/not order for this mix up?
Ask the dealer if they can set you up with a loner if you don't have a second vehicle. If it was 10000% sure it was their fault.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
1. The Fineline Wave Wood Trim was replaced with Fineline Sienna Wood Trim
2. Rear View Camera with Top View disappear from Driver Assistance Package

I know the BMW is planning on selling the electric i3 directly to the consumers this year and the next year in the US, and that the dealers across Europe and the US are preparing to protest it. I just can't wait to buy my BMW or any other car directly through the website, BMW, Amazon, Best Buy or whatever, and skip that Middle Man who can't properly enter new order into the system but still wants to take a percentage of the total price. All he supposed to do is to dedicate few minutes of his boring life to me and place a new order exactly as I wanted. Is it a dyslexia, Attention Disorder thing, or lack of computer knowledge, in that case he shouldn't be working in Internet Order Department.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Tesla thinks that we don't need dealers, and some Teslas will out-accelerate an X3 0-60.

This time, have the dealer print you out a copy of the Order Acceptance. It's a Vehicle Inquiry Report that will detail everything that has been ordered.
I heard that and I like what Tesla is doing, the whole thing electric cars, and directly to consumer sales. I'm not really looking for speed, it's nice to have extra power but I prefer pure BMW fun and enjoyment of driving. Also, I have developed a little back problem so sedans are not for me anymore.

The problem with Vehicle Inquiry Report is that all the elements of the order get scrambled, mixed up. What I mean, let's say you are on the BMW website and select your packages and extras in some organized way (Same with TrueCar, Edmunds, or AutoByTel), and when the dealer shows you his Vehicle Inquiry Report, everything on this list changed its location - for example the Wood Trim appears buried within the M Sport Package elements. Do I need to check what's within this package - no I don't - it's a package - I just make sure the M Sport package is on it, I did my research few months ago, and memorized my packages and few extras. We have been checking the list 3 times, and each time there was something missing on it.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC_BMW View Post
I would do a better job ordering my car myself through Bmw website if that would be possible. After spending a month waiting for my car to go into production, it finally did today BUT I had to call my dealer and REJECT it because some of my packages got lost in translation between my original order - the dealer - and the factory. It has become clear today, after seeing it on under my account on the bmw website that something went wrong. And I have to wait another month or more for my new order. That makes me think... Wouldn't be nice to sit at your computer, select your options, take a break for few days, edit it later, add what you what and or remove what you don't and finally place your order and pick it up from your dealership in few weeks? BMW pays dealership for service. Isn't what they just should be doing - service? Why do we need to pay the dealer additional share? Just thinking.
At the start of the Internet turning into a shopping mall The Automobile Dealership lobby marched on Washington, DC. They knew that the car manufacturers could cut them out of being the middle man. I think everyone knows that when you buy a car on the Internet - Tesla is an exception- you're buying one from the dealer and not the manufacturer. One very positive thing the Internet has done from a consumer perspective is cut out the nonsense that sleaze ball dealers used to regularly play games with price. Now it's so easy to figure out what near true costs are to dealers which enables better negotiating. I know many us don't like having to deal with car salespeople, but having a local dealer is very convenient. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to test drive cars and go somewhere close for service. When we do find a good dealer the whole process can go smoothly.

Sorry to hear about your problems.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 09-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Here is my "wish" for true internet sales...

I want to be able to build my car online.
Place order and pay for online, or process financing online.
The car would be shipped to a local dealer for prep, and the deliver process much like they do now. They would still service the car.
We could also shop local dealer inventory, and "pick" what we wanted without having to leave our home. I like what Chrysler Group (Dodge/Jeep etc..) do, you can search dealers inventory, and view a window sticker, this way you can see exactly what a dealer has. This is a "live" snap shot of inventory too, its very accurate and even tells you what cars the dealer has on order, and is in transit. When looking for our BMW, the BMW dealer website new car inventory was terrible, not up to date, and basically useless. When I was calling around to see what everyone had, they basically wouldn't help me over the phone, I was told to come on in to see what they had, kind of 1990's to me.

The only difference, the sales price would be an open book, everyone gets the same price. Why should I pay more or less then the next guy for the same thing? We don't do that for any other tangible good that I can think of ???

The dealership would still make a set amount of money (commission) per sale, as their "fee" for prepping and delivering to the consumer.

Dealerships should advocate for this, as they can lay off a good portion of the sales, financing, and management staff. It could be a win / win for everyone.

They would also still have the option to stock cars, and sell, but at a manufacturer pre determined price, and that was it, no negotiation necessary.

Just my 2 cents.

But... On the flip side of all of this, why would a dealer advocate for set pricing, when they can take that one "sucker" to the cleaners every now and then and make a killing ? haha
Back when my grandfather purchased his last car, probably when he was around 83 years old or so, my mother went with him to make sure he wasn't taken over the coals so to speak. When they were signing the papers, the person told her, good thing you came with your father, some of the elderly people come in here and wind up paying thousands over sticker, and they don't even know it. To my surprise this was a shocker that a dealer employee actually admitted this !!
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision

Last edited by Durkis; 09-04-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
But... On the flip side of all of this, why would a dealer advocate for set pricing, when they can take that one "sucker" to the cleaners every now and then and make a killing ? haha
Back when my grandfather purchased his last car, probably when he was around 83 years old or so, my mother went with him to make sure he wasn't taken over the coals so to speak. When they were signing the papers, the person told her, good thing you came with your father, some of the elderly people come in here and wind up paying thousands over sticker, and they don't even know it. To my surprise this was a shocker that a dealer employee actually admitted this !!

Sad, but true.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.