Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
China made the BMW rim style 309

Please anyone know any information about this. I bought 4 rim style 309 19 inch, outside looking good as BMW standard, the back side of the 3 rim with the us made and one rim with China made, the back side coating a little bit different colour. I'm a bit worry about this china made. Is the any BMW parts like rims are made in the china. I'll post some picture soon.
Many thanks

Last edited by XRIDE; 09-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
As long as the part is made to the BMW standards, what difference does it make? Many of the parts on your BMW is not made in Germany, is the X3 in Vietnam assembled in India?

Last edited by The X Men; 09-01-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Make sure it's genuine BMW.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
As long as the part is made to the BMW standards, what difference does it make? Many of the parts on your BMW is not made in Germany, is the X3 in Vietnam assembled in India?
I thought all x series are produced and assembled in the US. As my contract says, my x3 produced in the US for German market and they import it to Vietnam. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Make sure it's genuine BMW.

It's a good video. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRIDE View Post
I thought all x series are produced and assembled in the US. As my contract says, my x3 produced in the US for German market and they import it to Vietnam. Thanks.
That might very well be true, I am not sure, that's why I am asking. I know that all X3 sold in India is made in India starting last year..
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The X3s assembled in India, Indonesia, and Malaysia are what are commonly called CKDs - Complete Knock-Down kits. While the components are manufactured in various places, including Germany, Austria, and South Carolina, the actual assembly is done in the destination country. There are typically major tax advantages in doing so, which has a direct impact on the purchase price of the vehicle - a fully assembled imported vehicle would be taxed much higher than a vehicle that is imported in pieces and assembled in-country.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
The X3s assembled in India, Indonesia, and Malaysia are what are commonly called CKDs - Complete Knock-Down kits. While the components are manufactured in various places, including Germany, Austria, and South Carolina, the actual assembly is done in the destination country. There are typically major tax advantages in doing so, which has a direct impact on the purchase price of the vehicle - a fully assembled imported vehicle would be taxed much higher than a vehicle that is imported in pieces and assembled in-country.
So China does not assemble X series but they probably make parts like x3 rim?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 PM

China stamp on the rim

Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM

BMW has had wheels manufactured in China in the past, so it is plausible that your wheels were made for BMW in China.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
China stamp on the rim

[/QUOTE]

These look like very different wheels from the back.....
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 AM

Is it me or does the finish looks different in the hub area.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
I also see United States stamped on there too!
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Slight variation in design. China one has ledge along the edge of the spokes. Nothing to worry about since it is on the inside. If its bought from a reputable company, you should be able to check it out. Car parts manufacturing is now spread out all over the world.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
Slight variation in design. China one has ledge along the edge of the spokes. Nothing to worry about since it is on the inside. If its bought from a reputable company, you should be able to check it out. Car parts manufacturing is now spread out all over the world.
I bought it from getBMWparts.com as detail below

Part Number

Wheel, alloy style 309, 8.5x19

Wheel, alloy style 309, 9.5x19

I'm asking them for where the original parts coming from.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM

I don't see a problem here. I understand why the concern was raised, but I don't see a problem.

Next to the word China on the rim is ZCW, the manufacturer of the wheel. BMW is unlikely to tell you who their suppliers are, but ZCW is happy to tell you who their customers are. From their website: "ZCW is a subsidiary company of Zhejiang Wanfeng Auto Wheel Co.Ltd, one of the largest wheel manufacturers in the world. Wanfeng build high quality wheels for many top OEM car manufacturers around the globe, including BMW, Fiat, Ford and many more. ZCW aftermarket wheels are made with the same quality and attention to detail that these clients demand." BMW has parts manufactured all over the world, and has had wheels manufactured in China in the past. I have no doubt that they still have wheels manufactured in China.

getbmwparts.com is the internet parts department of a BMW dealership in Silver Springs, MD. Internet or counter, they're not going to be selling aftermarket parts as OEM - Heaven help them if they were ever to do such a thing, and BMW were to catch them at it. I have every confidence in getbmwparts.com's integrity.

Based on what I've seen, it is my opinion that Xride has genuine BMW wheels, some of which were manufactured for BMW in China, and some of which were manufactured for BMW in the US.

If the wheels had been bought on eBay, I would be willing to consider a different opinion.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I don't see a problem here. I understand why the concern was raised, but I don't see a problem.

Next to the word China on the rim is ZCW, the manufacturer of the wheel. BMW is unlikely to tell you who their suppliers are, but ZCW is happy to tell you who their customers are. From their website: "ZCW is a subsidiary company of Zhejiang Wanfeng Auto Wheel Co.Ltd, one of the largest wheel manufacturers in the world. Wanfeng build high quality wheels for many top OEM car manufacturers around the globe, including BMW, Fiat, Ford and many more. ZCW aftermarket wheels are made with the same quality and attention to detail that these clients demand." BMW has parts manufactured all over the world, and has had wheels manufactured in China in the past. I have no doubt that they still have wheels manufactured in China.

getbmwparts.com is the internet parts department of a BMW dealership in Silver Springs, MD. Internet or counter, they're not going to be selling aftermarket parts as OEM - Heaven help them if they were ever to do such a thing, and BMW were to catch them at it. I have every confidence in getbmwparts.com's integrity.

Based on what I've seen, it is my opinion that Xride has genuine BMW wheels, some of which were manufactured for BMW in China, and some of which were manufactured for BMW in the US.

If the wheels had been bought on eBay, I would be willing to consider a different opinion.
Thank you so much for your explanation, I feel relief and confidence now. Cheers
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
They should keep to the same rim design for the same product number. Otherwise it is confusing and worries customers unnecessarily.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 320i
Quote:
Thank you so much for your explanation, I feel relief and confidence now. Cheers
Congrats drive with confidence
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 AM
#1 OEM BMW Parts Source

Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Mein Auto: 2002 Dinan 330ci
Yep, genuine BMW parts actually are manufactured all over the world. All F25 X3's are manufactured in SC, but the individual components that make the vehicles up are brought in from various manufacturers worldwide.

Rest assured, anything purchased from us - or any other BMW dealer - is a 100% genuine part designed and approved for your BMW by BMW.

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Jason@Tischer; 09-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Jason,

It is great that you replied directly to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
Yep, genuine BMW parts actually are manufactured all over the world. All F25 X3's are manufactured in SC, but the individual components that make the vehicles up are brought in from various manufactures worldwide.

Rest assured, anything purchased from us - or any other BMW dealer - is a 100% genuine part designed and approved for your BMW by BMW.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
They should keep to the same rim design for the same product number. Otherwise it is confusing and worries customers unnecessarily.
Yes you're right. Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
Yep, genuine BMW parts actually are manufactured all over the world. All F25 X3's are manufactured in SC, but the individual components that make the vehicles up are brought in from various manufactures worldwide.

Thank you for coming in and reply my post. I'm your customer, assume that the rim made in China is meet BMW Standard but I'm not really happy with It. Most people prefer US made rather than china made, why you give me the rim with china made? Can I change it? I would pay the shipping cost from Vietnam to the US for an exchange. What do you think?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM
#1 OEM BMW Parts Source

Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Mein Auto: 2002 Dinan 330ci
Quote:
Thank you for coming in and reply my post. I'm your customer, assume that the rim made in China is meet BMW Standard but I'm not really happy with It. Most people prefer US made rather than china made, why you give me the rim with china made? Can I change it? I would pay the shipping cost from Vietnam to the US for an exchange. What do you think?
These wheels were special-ordered for you from BMW. If we were to try and replace it, the next ten that we order might be the same way - we really have no control over it. The important thing to remember is that these wheels are genuine BMW products and meet the same standards that parts made in Germany, the USA, etc. meet.

As I and others have stated, parts for BMW's are manufactured all over the world. The country that the wheel was made in really isn't an indication of build quality. The wheel was manufactured by a reputable, BMW-approved manufacturer that just happens to be located in China.

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Jason@Tischer; 09-05-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:30 AM

Personally, I would rather have a matching set, all US made or all China made, not a mix bag, especially when the rims are different on the back side.