Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Angry Powered tailgate operation

The powered tailgate can be opened and closed using the key fob. Height of opening can be set via i-drive. It can also be stopped manually (i.e with your bare hands) during operation. That's great except one needs to understand it's operation fully...

Just recently, I opened the tailgate with the remote but had to stopped the tailgate manually in a hurry to prevent it from scrapping against a wall pillar. The opening was good enough for me to retrieve my stuff and so I proceeded to close the tailgate with the remote. To my horror, it continued to open instead and the one thing I had prevented it from happening became a reality! I could do nothing as I was carrying stuff with both hands. Besides, it all happened so quickly . Ended up with a dent and scratched lower edge! Curse and swear like crazy!

The only explanation is that the the computer remembers the tailgate had not reached the pre-set position when it was manually stopped. Hence, it will continue to open the tailgate instead when reactivated before it can be closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	394543  
Ads by Google
Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 AM

On another note, does anyone fix a rubber/pvc trim along the lower edge of the tailgate?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
I have 3M "clear bra" film along the edge of the rear hatch.

Interesting that your hatch closes with the key fob (remote). In the USA, that is NOT enabled from the factory and must be coded yourself with special software/equipment.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM

The car came with Comfort Package comprising rear-view camera and automatic tailgate. From now on, I must remember to leave enough clearance at the rear.
The 3M film may have prevented the scratch but not the dent. Still, I may consider your suggestion. BMW sells those clear films: 4 strips of 1m length for around USD22. Did you also fix those film along the door edges? Compare to the rubber trims that I read about, the clear films seem like a neat solution.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
It came as part of a clear bra package - front bumper, up the hood and fenders 18", headlights, front of mirrors, door edges, rear cargo loading sill.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
The only explanation is that the the computer remembers the tailgate had not reached the pre-set position when it was manually stopped. Hence, it will continue to open the tailgate instead when reactivated before it can be closed.
Whoa that is quite a dent there! With the slow speed of the tailgate, and also since it'll stop when it gets resistance - it amazes me how a dent like that happened! I would think it would have stopped again or at least not be fast enough to allow for such a dent.

I had my 2012 35i coded to do the same thing (or at least I think it's the same) with my fob and correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the tailgate close when you hold the tailgate button down on the fob - regardless of whether it is completely open? I honestly can't remember and now I need to try it. Hah! Now come to think of it, I think it'll just go in the direction that it was moving until it reaches full open or closed (like you said). However, it'll only move while the button is pressed. The only time I don't have to keep the button pressed is when I press it momentarily to open when it's fully closed.

I've made it a habit to close the tailgate only with the two buttons on the tailgate to close/lock or use the fob if I'm further away. I tell you it saved me a little bit once. One time I had my fob in my trousers right pocket and when stopped, I guess I leaned on the fob and next thing I know my tailgate was opening. Rather than have to come out of the car, I was able to close it immediately with the fob sitting in the driver's seat. Whew!

They really need to code this standard in the US cars.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Hi JSY. I know for sure the tailgate can be closed by pressing and holding the button on the fob. After your comments, I decided to investigate further. Here are my findings:

1. From its closed position, if the tailgate is activated open using the button on the fob, it will continue to open all the way to its preset height. Once it has stopped, pressing and holding down the button on the fob will start closing the tailgate. However, if one releases the button, it will stop closing. Pressing and holding the button down will resume closing the tailgate. BUT If pressed momentarily, it will re-open the tailgate!

2. I re-enacted the scenario I experience on that fateful day. The tailgate is manually stopped on its way up. Pressing and holding the button down shuts the tailgate! Confirmed that several times. Then I tested by pressing the button momentarily...THE TAILGATE GOES UP!

In short, what must have occurred was accidentally slipped my finger off the button, triggering the opening command instead. What a painful lesson!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport
Quote:
Hi JSY. I know for sure the tailgate can be closed by pressing and holding the button on the fob. After your comments, I decided to investigate further. Here are my findings:

1. From its closed position, if the tailgate is activated open using the button on the fob, it will continue to open all the way to its preset height. Once it has stopped, pressing and holding down the button on the fob will start closing the tailgate. However, if one releases the button, it will stop closing. Pressing and holding the button down will resume closing the tailgate. BUT If pressed momentarily, it will re-open the tailgate!

2. I re-enacted the scenario I experience on that fateful day. The tailgate is manually stopped on its way up. Pressing and holding the button down shuts the tailgate! Confirmed that several times. Then I tested by pressing the button momentarily...THE TAILGATE GOES UP!

In short, what must have occurred was accidentally slipped my finger off the button, triggering the opening command instead. What a painful lesson!
Is what you describe a feature only found in non US X3's?

Current Ride: 2014 X3 35 M Sport/AW/Chestnut/Fine Line Wave/Cold Weather/Driver Assistance with Top View/M Sport/Dynamic Handling/Premium/Technology/Concierge/Rear Manual Shades/Premium Sound/Auto High Beam
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 PM

I thought BMW packages are fixed irrespective of where it is made.
My X3 came from US. The automatic tailgate is part of the Comfort Package. My issue and investigations concern the button on the keyfob when used to open/close the tailgate. Opening from the closed position is straight-forwad as I just press and hold the button till it unlatches. The automatic tailgate will continue to open up to its preset height. On the other hand, closing the tailgate after it has reached its preset height requires me to press and hold the button till it "slams" shut. If the button is released before the closing cycle is complete, the tailgate will stop moving. When the tailgate motion is somehow stopped in between open and shut position, its subsequent response will depend on how I press the button. If pressed and held down, it will continue to close. If it is pressed for about 1 sec i.e. momentarily, it opens instead.

Out of interest, I would appreciate if you can check and describe the behaviour of your automatic tailgate based on my scenarios. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
All F25 X3s are manufactured in the US, using components from suppliers around the world. Most F25s are assembled in the US (exceptions that come to mind are India, Indonesia, and Malasia, where F25s are assembled locally from CKDs). Many F25 features can be controlled through software, and can vary by country/region. In the North American market, closing the tailgate using anything other than the button on the tailgate is disabled. Some in NA have altered the coding to enable the key fob capabilities that exist in the rest of the world.

Someone in EU or OZ could better compare their default tailgate behavior to what you experience in HK.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 AM

No CKDs in HK. All cars, including BMWs, are fully imported.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I tested mine, it is a US car that does not close the hatch from the remote, but I coded it to enable the feature. On mine, I need to hold the trunk button for about 2 seconds to start it opening, if I stop the tailgate manually like you did in your scenario then if I push the trunk button momentarily, nothing happens. If I hold the trunk button until it starts to move again, it will always close unlike what happened with yours where it went back to opening more.

I tried it a bunch of times and whether I stop it with the button or by hand, it always closes after stopped when opening.

Rob
Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 AM

Thank you. I will check with my dealer to see if the remote control should behave like yours. Actually, I had not realised that one can code or recode the software till I joined the forum. Was it easy? Does doing your own coding void the warranty in US?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 AM

I would really appreciate US X3 owners with automatic tailgate function via remote keyfob to verify my enquiry. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Does doing your own coding void the warranty in US?
If the changes you make result in damage and BMW finds out you changed the coding, then yes BMW will say warranty voided.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Coding the tailgate

I coded my X3 to close using the fob and had all kinds of problems, too many permutations to list here. Eventually the tailgate just quit lifting altogether.

I took it to the dealer telling them the tailgate quit working, no mention of any coding, they fixed the problem, replaced the "lifters".

I put my coding harness away and will not use it again.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Thank you gfeiner and erkbiz.
I should clarified my enquiry...I mean to ask you guys who have the comfort package and when the tailgate is forced to stop by hand on its way up, can the automatic tailgate subsequently be open further by pressing the button on the fob for 1 sec?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Thank you gfeiner and erkbiz.
I should clarified my enquiry...I mean to ask you guys who have the comfort package and when the tailgate is forced to stop by hand on its way up, can the automatic tailgate subsequently be open further by pressing the button on the fob for 1 sec?
Yes.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Yes.
Thank you. Now that I know it is part of the Comfort Package, I have myself to blame then. But the operations manual did not point that out. Instructions are clear on closing actions. I thought the tailgate, after it is opened (irrespective of height), can only close and not open with the fob.