Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Suspension Feeling Loss - Should we Petition

Hi All,

So for those of you who owned an e90 and now own an f30, you know that the f30 has lost that love and feeling. The love I am talking about is the suspension. Even those who have DHP the complaint is the suspension is more loose than the e90 (which didn't have the concept of DHP).

I have an X-drive, and in the e90 the road handling was tight - never a complaint. In the f30, it feels loose (like an Altima) and almost dangerous.

What is BMW known for, amongst other cars in it's class (Audi, Lexus, Benz)? It's the suspension. Any car can go fast, any car can go quick, and any car luxurious. BMW is not known for being technologically innovative and tends to follow others. So if the suspension of the 3 series is the same as the other cars, why buy a BMW over those cars? Where is the competative edge? We could spend a lot of time discussing that, and the purpose of this thread is not to do so.

The question, especially since I have never done something like this before, should we start a petition to submit to BMW to make DHP standard, and bring the suspension back to what it was in the e90 (for all models)? For those concerned about the feeling when you ride over rough road, we have many festors who have fixed it by simply updating the shocks and tires (e.g., CaptainAudio). So this is not exactly a hard fix. Essentially, the pendulum swung the other way, and it's killing one of BMWs main competative advantages.

So, should we get a petition going? If we get 1000 signatures, or more, BMW might just listen and fix it (probably during LCI).

Best

PETITION

Petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bmw-suspension.html

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.

Last edited by furby076; 09-15-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Hi All,

So for those of you who owned an e90 and now own an f30, you know that the f30 has lost that love and feeling. The love I am talking about is the suspension. Even those who have DHP the complaint is the suspension is more loose than the e90 (which didn't have the concept of DHP).

I have an X-drive, and in the e90 the road handling was tight - never a complaint. In the f30, it feels loose (like an Altima) and almost dangerous.

What is BMW known for, amongst other cars in it's class (Audi, Lexus, Benz)? It's the suspension. Any car can go fast, any car can go quick, and any car luxurious. BMW is not known for being technologically innovative and tends to follow others. So if the suspension of the 3 series is the same as the other cars, why buy a BMW over those cars? Where is the competative edge? We could spend a lot of time discussing that, and the purpose of this thread is not to do so.

The question, especially since I have never done something like this before, should we start a petition to submit to BMW to make DHP standard, and bring the suspension back to what it was in the e90 (for all models)? For those concerned about the feeling when you ride over rough road, we have many festors who have fixed it by simply updating the shocks and tires (e.g., CaptainAudio). So this is not exactly a hard fix. Essentially, the pendulum swung the other way, and it's killing one of BMWs main competative advantages.

So, should we get a petition going? If we get 1000 signatures, or more, BMW might just listen and fix it (probably during LCI).

Best
I am in - I currently have an E90 LCI 2011 335d and feel the same!

I test drove a F30 328d (I love diesel) and found it soft, disconnected, and swaying around turns. It doesn't have that solid turn into torque feel anymore. The steering is awful - muted and disconnected from the road.

I then test drove a X1 s28i and it was more awful - no feel no connection no nothing - felt like a 80's Caddy or your grandpa's Buick....
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line

Quote:
While the suspension does for sure feel softer than it should, especially on the xDrive models, its a long way from feeling "dangerous."

It's also a long way from feeling like an Altima (which I had the displeasure of driving as a rental just last week).

I agree that there are some concerns about the nuances of the F30, but it still remains an excellent car, and remains significantly better than most of its competition.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
I am in - I currently have an E90 LCI 2011 335d and feel the same!

I test drove a F30 328d (I love diesel) and found it soft, disconnected, and swaying around turns. It doesn't have that solid turn into torque feel anymore. The steering is awful - muted and disconnected from the road.

I then test drove a X1 s28i and it was more awful - no feel no connection no nothing - felt like a 80's Caddy or your grandpa's Buick....
Try X1 with xdrive. I believe those still get HPS. I drove one at UDE, really liked it as compared to F30
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
It didn't take a petition to get the older steering rack back into the 2001 E46. Doubt one is needed (or will help) here, either.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Where is CA? I haven't seen him on here on a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328

Key words: those who owned an e90 and now own an f30. In BMW's eyes, we are ok with the softer suspension if we bought the car and they've made their money. Why would they bother going back to a stiffer suspension when we "approved" of the current suspension by purchasing the car? So they can hear us complain about it being too stiff? I get the main point of the OP but come on....

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I remember reading the same thing, E90 owners saying their car was to soft compared to the E46.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I remember reading the same thing, E90 owners saying their car was to soft compared to the E46.
Anyone who thought that an E9x with sport suspension and Bridgestone RFTs was soft is more likely to have previously owned a Conestoga Wagon than an E46.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Anyone who thought that an E9x with sport suspension and Bridgestone RFTs was soft is more likely to have previously owned a Conestoga Wagon than an E46.

There he is.
Quote:
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPITT View Post
Key words: those who owned an e90 and now own an f30. In BMW's eyes, we are ok with the softer suspension if we bought the car and they've made their money. Why would they bother going back to a stiffer suspension when we "approved" of the current suspension by purchasing the car? So they can hear us complain about it being too stiff? I get the main point of the OP but come on....

A properly tuned suspension does not have to be overly stiff to handle well or to minimize body roll. A properly tuned suspension should be firm but not harsh, should not have excessive body lean when cornering and should be able to handle poor road surfaces without becoming unsettled.

It seems that BMW over compensated for the overly harsh E9x sports suspension (which as i discovered could be easily fixed) and went too far on the other direction with the F30. I suspect that the F30 body roll issue could also be easily fixed without giving up the good qualities of the suspension.

Good handling and decent ride quality do not have to be mutually exclusive.

IMO if you spent your hard earned money on a car and have issues you should make your voice heard.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Re-Badged

The e9x M3 was perfect in terms of everyday drivability and a nice firm suspension. EDC makes it even better, I think. You get the best of both worlds.
Quote:
Old 09-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The e9x M3 was perfect in terms of everyday drivability and a nice firm suspension. EDC makes it even better, I think. You get the best of both worlds.
Exactly

A good suspension is firm, but not overly harsh, and has enough compliance to keep the contact patches on the road (they are called contact patches for a reason) and not upset the car when road imperfections were encountered. The E9x sport suspension would bottom out, damage tires and rims (Pothole Explosions) and bounce around on road imperfections. This had apparently been corrected on the F30 which is from all indications an excellent car. Now BMW needs to address the body roll issue which I suspect is not a big deal to correct. Koni FSD dampers will probably do it if and when they become available for the F30. it will be interesting to see of the 4 series has the same issue.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

You left out the part about living in the NYC which has moon craters in their roads.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You left out the part about living in the NYC which has moon craters in their roads.
With the Koni FSDs and the Conti DWS tires that is no longer an issue. Also the "Pothole Explosions" were not exclusively a NYC issue as I encountered them on interstates, in Vermont and in upstate New York.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-01-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: Grey
If you don't like the way the F30 feels instead of signing a petition why don't you..... Buy something else? I promise there's life outside BMW lol. If you absolutely positively HAVE to drive a BMW check out the 1/2 series. I think BMW did a great job with the F30, but if you don't like the way it feels there are plenty of options out there.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
I don't think a petition is necessary. If every F30 owner that has a concern with the suspensions writes a letter to BMW (even via its website), I'm sure they will take notice.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
If you don't like the way the F30 feels instead of signing a petition why don't you..... Buy something else? I promise there's life outside BMW lol. If you absolutely positively HAVE to drive a BMW check out the 1/2 series. I think BMW did a great job with the F30, but if you don't like the way it feels there are plenty of options out there.
Exactly - life's short - go drive something that makes you happy....

I have driven my 328xi Sport-line daily driver almost 2K miles since purchase. The car would not be my choice to autocross, but it was my first choice as an excellent means of spirited transportation. I appreciate the lissome performance and very balanced compliant suspension. On the same road that destroyed no less than 3 tires and rims on my former e93 335i MT - my 328xi negotiates confidently, safely, and quickly. I often drive from DC to West Virginia and I can confront challenging conditions. Through fast tight sweepers and switch-backs the car just sticks.....really quite competent, if not confidence inspiring. In the real world, my 328xi is fast, compliant, comfy, economical, and fun - I am impressed.

BTW the only serious criticism of the car I have are the less than confidence inspiring standard lights but I readily remedied that situation with Phillips X-treme Power H7s for low/high beams and Osram H-7 all-season fogs.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
With the Koni FSDs and the Conti DWS tires that is no longer an issue. Also the "Pothole Explosions" were not exclusively a NYC issue as I encountered them on interstates, in Vermont and in upstate New York.

CA

I don't want to rehash this too much as we've been on this topic at least since I joined the board almost 6 years ago but there's no doubt on bad roads the E90 with Sport suspension is too stiff. The changes made to the suspension in 2011 have made this less of a problem and cars without ZSP ride pretty well. I have a 2011 E90 with 17" wheels and base suspension and the car handles great and for the most part rides well. It's busy over many bumps but I don't have the explosions I experienced in my 2008 with 16" wheels on sharp edged holes.

However the F30 Sport Line is far more composed and sophisticated. It rolls a bit more but has plenty of grip and is neutral. I'd say it's more grown up but less visceral. F30's with xDrive are far too soft IMO and that's a shame but there's no doubt that this means nothing to the average 3 series shopper while many complained of the E90 ride.

Edit: Regarding Furby's idea. Waste of time. BMW doesn't care and the sales volume says they are right.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 09-01-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I don't think a petition is necessary. If every F30 owner that has a concern with the suspensions writes a letter to BMW (even via its website), I'm sure they will take notice.
I'm sure they'll jump on it...as they have with the RF tire issue which is a contributing factor to their low JD Powers satisfaction survey results (IQS Survey). Munich doesn't care...they march to the tune of their own drummer...owner opinions be damned.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Exactly - life's short - go drive something that makes you happy....

I have driven my 328xi Sport-line daily driver almost 2K miles since purchase. The car would not be my choice to autocross, but it was my first choice as an excellent means of spirited transportation. I appreciate the lissome performance and very balanced compliant suspension. On the same road that destroyed no less than 3 tires and rims on my former e93 335i MT - my 328xi negotiates confidently, safely, and quickly. I often drive from DC to West Virginia and I can confront challenging conditions. Through fast tight sweepers and switch-backs the car just sticks.....really quite competent, if not confidence inspiring. In the real world, my 328xi is fast, compliant, comfy, economical, and fun - I am impressed.

BTW the only serious criticism of the car I have are the less than confidence inspiring standard lights but I readily remedied that situation with Phillips X-treme Power H7s for low/high beams and Osram H-7 all-season fogs.
Are these what you used for the headlight bulbs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-H7-X...556b68&vxp=mtr

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Re: Suspension Feeling Loss - Should we Petition

Quote:
Hi All,

Best
I think it's just an incorrect choice of words, but altima is nowhere near an f30 even in comfort mode - I say that as altima is my other car. I also have dhp and xdrive. The only difference and that too very minor would be my tires - I have regular summer performance tires, not runflats.

But, im in for the petition for suspension. Its already too good, if it can be better, im in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM

I agree that for many if not most buyers if body roll is the price to pay for the elimination of the pothole explosion, bent rim and shredded tire issue it is a valid trade off.

My point has always been that it is easily possible to have the best of both worlds and there does not need to be a trade off. I am confident that reducing body roll would not be difficult and that as long as the ride and handling aren't compromised and are possibly even improved nobody is going to complain.

I don't agree that BMW doesn't care. I have spoken to people from BMW North America and have attended events where they solicited owners opinions of their cars. They were very aware of the fact that many people had issues with the harsh E9x suspension.

As I stated earlier the F30 is from all indications an excellent car and in many ways better than the E90. That does not mean that there is no room for improvement or that owners should not express their concerns to BMW.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
I don't want to rehash this too much as we've been on this topic at least since I joined the board almost 6 years ago but there's no doubt on bad roads the E90 with Sport suspension is too stiff. The changes made to the suspension in 2011 have made this less of a problem and cars without ZSP ride pretty well. I have a 2011 E90 with 17" wheels and base suspension and the car handles great and for the most part rides well. It's busy over many bumps but I don't have the explosions I experienced in my 2008 with 16" wheels on sharp edged holes.

However the F30 Sport Line is far more composed and sophisticated. It rolls a bit more but has plenty of grip and is neutral. I'd say it's more grown up but less visceral. F30's with xDrive are far too soft IMO and that's a shame but there's no doubt that this means nothing to the average 3 series shopper while many complained of the E90 ride.

Edit: Regarding Furby's idea. Waste of time. BMW doesn't care and the sales volume says they are right.
The sales figures indicate that they are gaining "new" customers...that's the result of BMW's marketing efforts. They certainly can't grow with an ageing (and "traditional, savvy" customer base).

Newer customers (1st time buyers) don't have a clue about what the "BMW driving experience" used to be. They are not drivers...but status seekers. They seek comfort, electronic options that will "keep them connected" to their world. Power and performance are rapidly becoming obsolete requirements and BMW knows this.

BMW will continue to throw their enthusiast owner base a few "bones," marvelous cars at a huge price, but these cars will be a fraction of BMW's sales.

BMW, Munich knows very well that their most loyal, enthusiast base will all be dead in the next decade or so. Then they can offer a FWD M3 and nobody will notice!

The "Ultimate driving machine" is slowly sinking into the sunset IMO.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:

My 2006 330xi suffered from the "pot hole explosion". It was the one thing I disliked about the vehicle. It was inexcusable and no one should be apologizing for it.