Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Dreaded DSC/DBC/FTM and Startup Malfunction with car stalling

This started to happen last week when I was driving. All of a sudden I felt my back wheel kicking while cruising at around 45mph, then dash and idrive lit up like Christmas tree, with DSC/DBC/FTM and startup assistance disable (pic below). I pulled into the gas station, stop the car, did a Idrive reset and it all went away. However, couple of days later as I was driving on the freeway I felt the back wheel jolted again, like if DSC was trying to activate on one wheel. Keep in mind I wasn't going over any slippery patch and road was bone dry. After I got off the freeway and sitting at the light not moving, my car suddenly just died and all the same malfunction came back on again and I had to restart the engine. I've search through many forums and seems like this problem might be related to either wheel speed sensor or DSC Hydro pump? My question is, most of the people that experienced this issue doesn't have their engine turn off while not moving. This is concerning to me since I don't want to experience my car just shut off its engine while I am driving. Could it be possible that DSC ECU have the ability to shut off the car? Could this also be related to crank sensor? But then again my car feels fine, no check engine light or hesitation. Took it to a local Indy shop and they can't duplicate the problem and can't find any fault code? Any suggestion or has anyone experience something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829_064822.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	394619  
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
I'm not sure why your engine would have died. That's strange. But, BMW does get very Nanny State when the car has a fault. For example, when my water pump died, the car limited my engine's output just as I was turning on to a busy highway.

A few weeks ago I put my car on a dyno, and as soon as the computer saw the back wheels turning and the front wheels sitting still, it had a minor meltdown, throwing codes very similar to what you are seeing. I say similar, because I didn't take notes.

But based on that, I think you're wise to suspect a wheel speed sensor with an intermittent problem.

When the wheel jolted, could you tell which wheel it was? I'd suspect that wheel first, since a failed sensor might be seen by the computer as a locked up wheel.

If the same sensor is used on all four wheels, then you could buy a single replacement and try it on each wheel until the problem goes away.

Good luck!

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
I'm not sure why your engine would have died. That's strange. But, BMW does get very Nanny State when the car has a fault. For example, when my water pump died, the car limited my engine's output just as I was turning on to a busy highway.

A few weeks ago I put my car on a dyno, and as soon as the computer saw the back wheels turning and the front wheels sitting still, it had a minor meltdown, throwing codes very similar to what you are seeing. I say similar, because I didn't take notes.

But based on that, I think you're wise to suspect a wheel speed sensor with an intermittent problem.

When the wheel jolted, could you tell which wheel it was? I'd suspect that wheel first, since a failed sensor might be seen by the computer as a locked up wheel.

If the same sensor is used on all four wheels, then you could buy a single replacement and try it on each wheel until the problem goes away.

Good luck!

Frederic

Took the car out to the car wash today and it happened again as I was pulling into the touchless car wash. Car just died and all the DSC/DBC/FTM malfunction came on, but no ABS or check engine light. Restarted the car, warning stayed on until I shut down, however now my car drives like crap, feels very sluggish and no power at all. Idle sounds ok so at this point I am at a lost. As for the jolt, the first time I felt it, it seems to come from rear passenger side. I am starting to think it could be the eccentric crank sensor or maybe even a failing water pump? But then there's no engine light or check engine code. I have an appointment with a shop on Tuesday to have it look at, hopefully my car will even make it there.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Yeah, that doesn't sound like the wheel sensor anymore. But I haven't a clue what it might be.

Good luck, and let us know what the final diagnosis is!

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Battery recall. It's a faulty connection at your fuse panel.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine View Post
Took the car out to the car wash today and it happened again as I was pulling into the touchless car wash. Car just died and all the DSC/DBC/FTM malfunction came on, but no ABS or check engine light. Restarted the car, warning stayed on until I shut down, however now my car drives like crap, feels very sluggish and no power at all. Idle sounds ok so at this point I am at a lost. As for the jolt, the first time I felt it, it seems to come from rear passenger side. I am starting to think it could be the eccentric crank sensor or maybe even a failing water pump? But then there's no engine light or check engine code. I have an appointment with a shop on Tuesday to have it look at, hopefully my car will even make it there.

Codes, laddie....your fate it is the codes!

Just as not every medium got talent, not every mech can read 'em all....be certain they are one with Munich....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM

With the faulty fuse panel connection recall, more often than not the car stores no shadow faults what so ever. So if there are no codes, you know what the problem is.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
This is what it sounded like to me also. N4S
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM

So I took it into the indy shop I usually go to. They drove it for 20 miles the first time, then 30 miles the second time and only got the car to stall once but no fault code was in the system and the car drove normal after restart. However, there was one time when the crank sensor malfunction came up on the fault code but it only came up once and disappeared after. Based on that, I am having them replace the crank sensor and go from there. Seems to be a phantom problem and what's frustrating is that when I took it to the shop, the car stalled at the light and DSC/DBC/FTM/Start up all came on and stayed on with reduce power while driving. Also, I noticed the idle was a little rough and there were jolts to the car once in a while on my way there. I am really hoping crank sensor is the culprit here, last thing I want to do is replace this and that and still doesn't address the real issue. Keeping my fingers crossed at this point..

Last edited by ScBlacksunshine; 09-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
touche' .... almost same issues with mine .... NO issues since the recall was completed .... its worth an hour of your life .. and its FREE !!! "FD" was spot on when he commented on my post os the same issues !!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabimmer View Post
touche' .... almost same issues with mine .... NO issues since the recall was completed .... its worth an hour of your life .. and its FREE !!! "FD" was spot on when he commented on my post os the same issues !!!!
Does the battery recall apply to 2006 E90 325i as well, outside of warranty period?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i
the warranty has no bearing ... as for your model, i cannot answer your question .... i emailed BMW/NA, and they sent me a confirmation that my VIN had not been corrected and directed me to a dealer ... which btw, i had already done... the moment this issue was brought to my attention ... or you could just call customer service ...
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
So I took it into the indy shop I usually go to. They drove it for 20 miles the first time, then 30 miles the second time and only got the car to stall once but no fault code was in the system and the car drove normal after restart. However, there was one time when the crank sensor malfunction came up on the fault code but it only came up once and disappeared after. Based on that, I am having them replace the crank sensor and go from there. Seems to be a phantom problem and what's frustrating is that when I took it to the shop, the car stalled at the light and DSC/DBC/FTM/Start up all came on and stayed on with reduce power while driving. Also, I noticed the idle was a little rough and there were jolts to the car once in a while on my way there. I am really hoping crank sensor is the culprit here, last thing I want to do is replace this and that and still doesn't address the real issue. Keeping my fingers crossed at this point..

FYI....not a diff procedure.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
haaaaaaaaa!...the good old marketing mix calwaterboy.

Who was it said that he new half of his group's advertising was not working...yep, but he didn't know which half. Was it Procter and Gamble?

yea yea...shouldn't encourage you.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Does the battery recall apply to 2006 E90 325i as well, outside of warranty period?
No it's for later models. Like 09+