Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
New AGM battery- Disconnect for vacation?

I read that AGM batteries do not discharge much when storing the car for a month or two. Did I dream this?

How do I turn off car theft alarm to decrease battery drain?

2008 E-93 335i Convertible (ED) (Keeper)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)

Last edited by Stevarino; 09-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Put a trickle charger on it while you're out, and don't disconnect anything.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can't turn the alarm off but you can turn the tilt sensor off by holding the lock button on the remote until the clown nose under the rear view mirror lights up solid for a couple seconds.

Whether this will do anything to save power or not, I can't say.

It's best to put the battery on a tender for an extended time like a month or two rather than disconnecting it. Either way is fine but leaving it connected won't do any harm. AGMs can recover from a deep discharge better than normal, non-agm batteries. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just take a nice long drive when you come back.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM

I should have added that a battery charger is not an option.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)

Last edited by Stevarino; 09-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
I should have added that I live in a condo and a battery charger is not an option.

I will be gone 45 days. I think a fairly new AGM can handle 45 days.

I will report when I get back.
Well, 45 days is a while. I would disconnect it. BUT!!!!! When you disconnect the battery, you won't be able to open the trunk when you get back....there will be no power to pop it.

So you have to find some way into the trunk once you open the car, like folding the rear seats down.

Another option is to code the car for transport mode which disabled all convenience features and reduces sleep times of various modules within the car. It also limits engine speed and the key fob operation.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
My experience with AGM batteries is that if they fall below 11 volts or so, they will not recharge with a standard charger - it requires a second (conventional lead-acid) battery as a buffer and a set of jumper cables. There's a guide on the Optima website. I'm not 100% sure that their batteries behave same as BMW, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 09-02-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 PM

When I get back a dead battery is not a problem.

I have a jump start battery that I can use if the car battery is dead.

I am just trying to figure out what is best for the car and the battery.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)

Last edited by Stevarino; 09-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Another option is to code the car for transport mode which disabled all convenience features and reduces sleep times of various modules within the car. It also limits engine speed and the key fob operation.

How do you do that?

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Someone with INPA setup or BT tool. Other software can also do this.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Well, 45 days is a while. I would disconnect it. BUT!!!!! When you disconnect the battery, you won't be able to open the trunk when you get back....there will be no power to pop it.

So you have to find some way into the trunk once you open the car, like folding the rear seats down.

My 2008 I know has a trunk key. I will look at the X3 today to see if it has a key opening. The transport mode idea I am still researching.

Thanks for the inputs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
A battery tender costs way less than a battery

A battery tender costs way less than a battery
(and any hassle you have with getting the car operational)

A intelligent battery tender such as a ctek 3300 or better is the defacto
standard. It also does all the common types of batterys.
Letting the battery go flat is not good for its long term or other health.
Most of the cars here don't have an AGM battery I think they only put themi
the convertibles and other fully loaded vehicle. I would bet 80 percent here
have regular lead acid batterys

Last edited by ctuna; 09-06-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: Silverado
AGM batteries generally have a much lower self-discharge rate than their flooded counterparts. However, they also have much lower internal resistance. That means they will continue delivering current well beyond what a flooded battery's high internal resistance will allow. If an AGM battery is fully-charged and disconnected from your car (or any other current draw), it will hold voltage longer than a flooded battery. If an AGM is connected to a current draw (like your car), it can be more deeply-discharged than a flooded battery, depending on how big the draw is and how long the car discharges it.

Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries near a full state of charge, not recover deeply-discharged batteries. Asking that task of an alternator can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails. Pilgrim is correct that many battery chargers will not recognize or charge deeply-discharged batteries, so parallel charging may be needed in those instances.

If a plug-in battery charger is not an option, a quick disconnect would prevent discharge, but may also result in the loss of all your presets. Some folks use solar-powered maintainers, but it is important to make sure those have proper amperage and voltage regulation.

Perhaps someone else can provide more insight on this, but I believe every 3-series since 2006 requires battery registration during replacement, although I'm not sure if that means they have AGM batteries or not.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM

How the battery discharges on its own is not the issue, it's the car waking itself to perform various self tests while car is "sleeping" that will drain the battery.

All user settings like radio presets, seat positions, even AC setting are stored in the key fob. The only thing you need to set after reconnecting a battery is time and date and reinitialize the steering angle sensor. This happens after driving a few hundred feet and making a few turns.

Last edited by fdriller9; 09-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM

Since I cannot use a battery tender where I park, I intend to disconnect both batteries.
Thanks for the inputs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
My experience with AGM batteries is that if they fall below 11 volts or so, they will not recharge with a standard charger - it requires a second (conventional lead-acid) battery as a buffer and a set of jumper cables. There's a guide on the Optima website. I'm not 100% sure that their batteries behave same as BMW, but I wouldn't bet against it.
Optima batteries suck, I got one several years ago, for my boat, and when the battery would drain down, take it to auto zone and they would check it and said its no good, I got a new battery every year for 3 years till the warranty was up, guy at auto zone said he would never buy an optima batter for that reason, when they are dead you can never get them to come back
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Never had problem one with my Optima batteries in my diesel truck. They were clearly superior to the OEMs I had before. It all depends on the luck of the draw. Had clearly better power density then the series 65's that were in there.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: Silverado
While I understand individual experiences can vary and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had hondo402000, luck has very little to do with whether or not someone has battery issues. Many of the “bad” batteries returned under warranty to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. In fact, we became the title sponsor of the ChumpCar World Series, in part, so we could give these “dead” batteries a second life. We've filled entire fields of ChumpCar races with batteries someone else mistakenly believed were no good and returned under warranty.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM

After action report-Battery storage

Just got back from vacation. Gone for 35 days. (45 days were planned. Vacation cut short due to fires west of Sydney, Australia.)

Before leaving:

1. Pumped tires up to 60 psi.
2. Changed oil & filter
3. Washed cars
4. Added fuel stabilizer then drove 20 miles and topped off tank.
5. Wrapped windshield wipers in Saran Wrap.
6. Disconnected battery and wrapped cable in electrical tape.

Upon return:

2014 X-3:

1. Opened driver door with FOB key.
2. Released hood and hooked up jump start battery.
3. Unlocked all doors after car power up.
4. Disconnected jump start battery.
5. Connected car battery.
6. Started car.
7. Drove for 40 miles.
7. EVERYTHING NORMAL!

Will do 2008 335i tomorrow.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)