Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Exclamation 2007 3.0si Reduced Engine Power after Software Updates to Engine/Trans/TC (Updated)

Went to my trusted shop (unfortunately, 3 hrs from me, near my parents home) to have the software updated on the engine/transmission/transfer case on our 3.0si. It had been misbehaving at low speeds, trans would drop gears randomly.

Mechanic indicated the Autologic displayed that the software had never been updated, so I figured great, out with the old 2007 early N52 era software, and in with the new.

Something is not quite right, and I think it has to do with the engine software update. The transmission is shifting better, it keeps the RPM lower and the shifts are more predictable (no random dropping down gears under light throttle), but... the car is SLOW. Like nearly dangerously slow. Like limp mode slow. I had to push the accelerator HARD on the highway on way home, to crack 90mph, which has never been an issue before. And around town, it is very slow over 30-40mph.

I was waiting for CEL to come on or something, but it has not. Its running smoothly, but its just slow. No power. There are only small hills along the 3hr trip home from PA to DC, and the car had to downshift twice with my foot nearly to the floor, in order to maintain 80mph up the hill. Not right.

Mechanic needs to see the car again in order to inform me of what version of software is now on it (3hr trip...), so I won't be able to get back up there until October, but I was hoping someone else might have seen this issue before. Perhaps reverting back to the old engine software is possible, keeping the updated transmission software?

Frustrating car... I think I just know for certain that I need to buy manual cars from here on out...

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
I had all software updates done on my 07 recently with 68k on it and I'm not having any problem accelerating and driving well over 100mph, although most if not all of my driving is on flat land. Anything below 60mph and I often have to use sport mode to keep any power on the wheels, below 40 going around any corners sport mode is required to hold a lower gear. Using normal D for anything under 40 and there's very little power to accelerate out of or around a corner, the automatic likes to hold a higher gear for better gas mileage I presume.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
The guy didn't test drive it before giving it back to you? Why is he your trusted mechanic exactly? And why is he 3 hours away? Really you can't continue going so far for minor work.

The way to fix this is to be sure this guy either (a) knows exactly what to do to fix it or (b) can give you a loaner car and whatever hotel etc you need for however long he ****s around with it.

Are you sure something like the oil cap or dipstick isn't missing? Or the filter box unplugged? What other work did it have done?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
I had all software updates done on my 07 recently with 68k on it and I'm not having any problem accelerating and driving well over 100mph, although most if not all of my driving is on flat land. Anything below 60mph and I often have to use sport mode to keep any power on the wheels, below 40 going around any corners sport mode is required to hold a lower gear. Using normal D for anything under 40 and there's very little power to accelerate out of or around a corner, the automatic likes to hold a higher gear for better gas mileage I presume.
Before the trans software, the car would hold a lower gear awkwardly long, under light throttle application. Now it is shifting up through the gears more quickly, but kickdown is indeed harder to initiate.

My problem is that in any given gear, the car just has less power than it did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
The guy didn't test drive it before giving it back to you? Why is he your trusted mechanic exactly? And why is he 3 hours away? Really you can't continue going so far for minor work.

The way to fix this is to be sure this guy either (a) knows exactly what to do to fix it or (b) can give you a loaner car and whatever hotel etc you need for however long he ****s around with it.

Are you sure something like the oil cap or dipstick isn't missing? Or the filter box unplugged? What other work did it have done?
I have been going to him for about 8yrs, and have trusted him to do everything from oil changes to transmission swaps. This software update was the only service done to the car during this visit, but I will check under the hood and see that everything is as it should be, but I popped it when I got home and everything looked normal.

It is very convenient to go visit my parents for the weekend and get stuff done to the car on a Saturday

And N52 has an electronic dipstick
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that from the software update all previous driver information stored has been erased and the shift logic for the drivers driving style needs to be relearned again. I do remember someone on this board saying the relearning would go on for about 1k miles. Mine does shift better than it did before the update, but I also think a big part of that was the transmission learning my driving style from a clean slate. I have learned to compensate for the trans weakness by using the SD mode for any acceleration needs under 60mph especially around corners or when cutting in and out of rush hour traffic, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
It is a possibility that the transmission is 'learning' (again) your driving habits after the software upgrade. Also, have you tried driving in sports mode to see if it behaves differently?

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Sounds to me like something went amiss in the programming and the engine is retarding timing in some kind of limp mode to limit power.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Oh if it deleted the adaptations it will take 80-100 miles to relearn.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Car has maybe 250mi on it since the software updates.

I understand that the software is adaptive, and it will learn my driving style over time, and I am NOT complaining about how the transmission behaves now. It is improved IMO, from before.

But the engine is just gutless now. It used to be a 'quick' car, and now its struggling even when it drops a gear and is right in the thick of the powerband, 3-4k RPM.

Still no CEL, and its not throwing any ghost codes. Everything under hood is also where it should be, hah.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Something has got to be wrong somewhere, even right after the updates mine still had tons of power everywhere. I would say you need to get that into a shop somewhere to get the codes read. Just about ever time I've had mine in for a repair the dealer read a buried code for something that didn't light up anything on the dashboard.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Question Gas mileage?

These software updates sound very interesting. Are they supposed to improve gas mileage and have they?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM

I have a small universal code reader, but you are right, it probably cannot see some of the faults a BMW could throw without CEL.

My brain is playing tricks on me, as I think the car feels a bit more responsive now, but that could be it adapting... still feels slow
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM

OK so UPDATE.

Car is currently with my mechanic. He hooked it back up to the AutoLogic and attempted to clear the faults it was throwing.

2FA4 Data Record Number
2A98 Crankshaft - Inlet Camshaft, Reference
2FA3 No Coding

He got the No Coding fault to go away, but the other two remain.

He got on the phone to the AutoLogic blokes in England and downloaded from them the most up to date engine/trans/TC software to ensure what he had was correct, and tried again to code the car. Same result. Faults will not go away, car still underpowered. Still no CEL.

He is pretty flabbergasted as he has coded many X3's and never had this issue come up. He sent our cars files to AutoLogic to have them look around in it for what might be wrong, and has my car for the week in order to try things out that they suggest. Really hoping they can get to the bottom of this strange issue.

Should know more later in the week.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Update, don't know much more. Autologic folks are describing this as a 'parity' issue. Basically, the ECU and the rest of the car are not communicating properly. ECU and sensors in engine are 'fine', thus no codes thrown. But the engine is in some kind of 'safe' mode because the car thinks it is sitting at idle, it is not getting the proper information from the ECU.

Many rounds of coding have not resolved the problem, with the above codes. Searches for N52 cars that have had this issue on the forums have come up fruitless. Quite frustrated.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Update, don't know much more. Autologic folks are describing this as a 'parity' issue. Basically, the ECU and the rest of the car are not communicating properly. ECU and sensors in engine are 'fine', thus no codes thrown. But the engine is in some kind of 'safe' mode because the car thinks it is sitting at idle, it is not getting the proper information from the ECU.

Many rounds of coding have not resolved the problem, with the above codes. Searches for N52 cars that have had this issue on the forums have come up fruitless. Quite frustrated.
It sounds like you're going to have to take it to a dealer.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Yep, think I will be ringing them today.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Final update.

Took the car in to the dealer. This hurt my soul to do, but didn't really have any other choice, and needed the car running on full steam.

Basically, my indy shop in PA corrupted the DME somehow. It was my worst case scenario of course, considering how much it costs to replace. So after trying to update all modules, they discovered the data transmission between the DME and DSC unit was 'disrupted,' and reprogramming of all modules was unsuccessful. DME was found to be corrupt.

And then somehow... BMW warrantied my DME. I have no idea how or why, but they covered it.

So I was out the door having only paid for the programming to diagnose the issue. Car is running on full power now, all modules are up to date. Shifting out of the auto trans is more predictable and smooth (which was my purpose for updating anything to begin with). They put me in a 328i X Drive for the week they had the car, and even washed it.

More than amazed at the dealership experience. And now I will never touch the electrics on the car again.

Moral of the story, be careful who you take your car to for these complex programming jobs. I feel that the battery on the X3 is a bit weak, so perhaps in the initial coding at the indy shop the voltage was allowed to get too low and the DME didn't care for it... but he was then unable to diagnose that the DME was cooked. I asked him initially if this was a possibility and he dismissed it, and tried many times unsuccessfully to program the car. Real bummer, first let down from this mechanic really.

Long post is long, but I wanted to wrap this up, in case someone else has a similar issue.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
2007 3.0si Reduced Engine Power after Software Updates to Engine/Trans/TC

Wow! A positive dealership story!! Glad it worked out

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM

Finally got around to emailing the owner @ the indy shop, wonder what he will say in response, if anything
Old 12-12-2013, 03:23 PM
if the wagon is a rockin

Mein Auto: 328xit
2007 3.0si Reduced Engine Power after Software Updates to Engine/Trans/TC (Upda

Just sent a private message I am in pa went to well respected shop for oil change. Now having all sorts of issues. Took to a second shop was told all control modules were updated which they said was odd. I am wondering if they updated things and screwed things. Set some specifics via pm to see if was same shop?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Replied to your PM, there is no reason that they should have updated modules for an oil change... that is very strange.