Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: z4
Inside trunk/boot latch plastic broken

Hi All,

Hope you can help me!

I normally drive with the roof-close/open latch inside the car ("the latch") kept up, thereby maximising boot space. That metal frame with the cloth/plastic material and handle are set back in the boot space, so that if I want to put the roof down I can't until I put the latch down.

I've had the car a couple of years (it is now 3yrs old) and this summer have had plenty of roof down action. Unfortunately the latch sometimes gets stuck in one of its retracted / extended positions and the last time I moved it from one to another, the 2 plastic parts connecting the material to the metal frame snapped off from each other on one side of the latch. Nb there are 2 attachments of the metal frame to the cloth/grey material.. one on the left and the other on the right.

I've taken a look and there is a male and a female plastic part which are designed to clamp around the grey material as well as silver/chrome metal frame, thereby connecting the frame to the grey material. Unfortunately on one side of this latch, it has now disconnected so the left side of the material is no longer connected to the metal frame.

It isn't a big deal as the other is still attached and doesn't impact the retracting / extending of the roof, but I'd like to fix it if possible. It looks like I can fit it myself by clamping them together, but the fix is only temporary as it looks like the male part has snapped from the female part.

Any ideas on how to fix, if I need a new part or should I get a mechanic to take a look? It is such a basic problem and nothing to do with the roof operation or anything, I just want it fixed.

Maybe clamp the 2 plastic parts together, with the metal frame and cloth in between as they should be, and apply super-glue to get them to hold??

Thoughts welcome - I hope I've described the problem ok?

Thanks!

ukpolak
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Right here http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...lips+that+hold

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Hi All,

Hope you can help me!

I normally drive with the roof-close/open latch inside the car ("the latch") kept up, thereby maximising boot space. That metal frame with the cloth/plastic material and handle are set back in the boot space, so that if I want to put the roof down I can't until I put the latch down.

I've had the car a couple of years (it is now 3yrs old) and this summer have had plenty of roof down action. Unfortunately the latch sometimes gets stuck in one of its retracted / extended positions and the last time I moved it from one to another, the 2 plastic parts connecting the material to the metal frame snapped off from each other on one side of the latch. Nb there are 2 attachments of the metal frame to the cloth/grey material.. one on the left and the other on the right.

I've taken a look and there is a male and a female plastic part which are designed to clamp around the grey material as well as silver/chrome metal frame, thereby connecting the frame to the grey material. Unfortunately on one side of this latch, it has now disconnected so the left side of the material is no longer connected to the metal frame.

It isn't a big deal as the other is still attached and doesn't impact the retracting / extending of the roof, but I'd like to fix it if possible. It looks like I can fit it myself by clamping them together, but the fix is only temporary as it looks like the male part has snapped from the female part.

Any ideas on how to fix, if I need a new part or should I get a mechanic to take a look? It is such a basic problem and nothing to do with the roof operation or anything, I just want it fixed.

Maybe clamp the 2 plastic parts together, with the metal frame and cloth in between as they should be, and apply super-glue to get them to hold??

Thoughts welcome - I hope I've described the problem ok?

Thanks!

ukpolak
I think the plate is called "trunk devider". A week ago mine has been replaced with a new one since one of the hinge broke, i.e., the black plastic hinge came apart. They are very weak designed cheap plastic pieces, upper and lower pieces are heated joint. Initially I thought I was drilled holes and put together by screws, but the BMW service told me they are under the warranty. Show to the local dealer, they will replace the devider unit for you without any cost. By the way, it was part of my fault for the damaging the hinge. I pushed the devider a little too hard for closing, it was too much luggage under the devider. So, don't push it like closing the trunk!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: z4
Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it :-)

Unfortunately I am just out of warranty (3.5yrs old where UK warranty is for 3 years).

I've looked online and other people have drilled through the parts and fitted a short screw through the new hole and secured it with a bolt. It's a bit of a hassle but then BMW will only replace the whole shelf / divider and not just the faulty part, unfortunately.

Is this covered under any extended (3yrs +) warranty I may be unaware of?

It seems like this is a common problem as the part is very breakable but of course gets lots of use when extending and retracting the roof.

Thanks!