Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
2003 x5 Dashboard lights stay on all the time.

Please help. 2003 x5 4.4 We are trying to troubleshoot why all the amber interior lights stay on. We removed the ignition switch, and they still stayed on. We unplugged the LCM and they still stayed on. When this trouble first started, the instrument lights started flashing on and off. Then I found that if I turned the brightness down, they would not flash then. After a couple of days I turned the lights back on brighter, and then they were fine. But driving home last night they had something acting odd, like the current was changing, I then tried to change the brightness on them, but the instrument lights stay on full brightness, and the other amber lights can be dialed up or down door handle lights, heater and defrost lights, stereo as well, the lights under the speedo can be dialed down too. These lights will stay on all the time. Checked wires for cracks, everything looks good, wires are not hard and brittle. I tested all the fuses on each side of the fuse, making sure power was going through every one, all good. Any idea of what I would do next?
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
did you unhook the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer and hook back up ? might be worth a shot.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Just tried it, they are still on. I might add that I did the ignition switch test, by turning it on, then the lights and then the sun visor lights to find disrupted current, seemed fine. But could the switch be bad, or a bad light switch cause it, I unplugged the light switch but it still feeds power to the headlights, so, can it feed power to the instrument cluster as well? I may need to replace both switches, and then see if there is a cure from that. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM

did you try turnning your switch for the headlights to off instead of auto. seems like the dimmer switch is screwed, you could have a couple issues happenning.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM

I did try it in all positions, I took it out and started to take it apart but wasn't sure if it didn't have some springs in it that may go flying, so I reassembled it and slammed it back into position, there was no change.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 AM

maybe its your ignition switch ?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Replaced ignition switch, and still same problem. Does anybody have any ideas, thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Can bad capacitors in the instrument cluster cause the instrument lights, the radio lights and door handle lights to stay on when the key is out of the ignition?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM

I found the problem, the phone case/lid wires were melted together at the hinge and shorted out. It caused all the wires to burn and melt together, we were lucky it didn't catch on fire, because none of the fuses blew. It fed a hot lead back into the interior lights, causing them to continuously be lit. What a pain to find, but that is another spot for BMW guys to look at for future problems, along with the hatch wire loom, good luck on your BMW issues.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM

wheres the phone case/lid located ? thx for the update. this might help other people out. I don`t think I have this with my x5 can`t find one anywhere. dunno
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM

phone is in the console lid. We made an appointment in Boise, Id at Peterson bmw for today, luckily I found the culprit, cancelled it, they said it was the instrument cluster or the general module, ended in an easy fix for me, and cheap, just hours of scratching my head,and tearing every panel out, checking wires and trying to test modules and switches.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM

yeah I don`t have one one less thing to worry about lol