Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
tires wearing out faster on outside

I have 2011 x3 35i and it has 29k. I see that outside (inch and half) portion of all tires seem to wearing out faster than middle and inner side of the tires
I am wondering what could cause this? any ideas. thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Same with mine. Lots of 2011 owners have posted the same issue with their tires. I've read everything from bad perch springs, to alignment issues and camber settings are the cause. My outside edges are at 2/32, while the middle is at 4/32. Getting new tires put on next month and hope to get it figured out.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 09-06-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM

I can visit a dealer in the area and ask him to check it out. Not sure if is going to help me as they most probably will say everything is ok. I will at least try.
Anybody else that have got their dealer figured it out this problem.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Just went through this with my 2011 x3 3.5i
Had a rebalance of my tires. Alignment looked good.
Looking to see if this corrects the wear and the pulling issue.
I was experiencing a tire wobble @ 50 mph and a right pulling. So far the rebalancing has seamed to fix these problems.
The dealer noted thAt this is part of the normal wear of the car tires. Not sure if I buy that as my 2005 x3 tires lasted 45k before needing to be changed.
I also think that the run flats wear out faster.
Not sure if I will be replacing these tires with run flats or not.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
deleted

Last edited by The X Men; 09-07-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsane View Post
Just went through this with my 2011 x3 3.5i
Had a rebalance of my tires. Alignment looked good.
Looking to see if this corrects the wear and the pulling issue.
I was experiencing a tire wobble @ 50 mph and a right pulling. So far the rebalancing has seamed to fix these problems.
The dealer noted thAt this is part of the normal wear of the car tires. Not sure if I buy that as my 2005 x3 tires lasted 45k before needing to be changed.
I also think that the run flats wear out faster.
Not sure if I will be replacing these tires with run flats or not.
I just came from the dealer yesterday. I had what sounded like a muted drum role when the car was in motion. It turned out the front tires were "feathered" and were wearing out faster on the outside. The dealer rotated them to the back of the vehicle and noted that the back tires were starting to wear on the outside as well. I also have a 2011 X3 35i and it has about 19,000 miles on it.

If I replace the tires, I'm thinking about switching to Michelin non-runflats although the dealer advised against that. I figure if I get a flat tire, which hasn't happen in years (knock on wood), I would just get the car towed. Or maybe just invest in a spare tire with the money I save from not buying the Pirellis. While the outside tire wear doesn't have anything to do with the tire itself, I believe the compounds used on Michelins will at least last longer under the same circumstances and most likely will give an even better ride. I have had great luck with Michelins in the past.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
It's the negative camber on the tires that causes them to wear faster on the outside.
Very common on all my BMWs I have owned - it is worse with RFT and wider tires.

You have some options:
1. If you don't intend to drive fast, and drive only on city streets, have the alignment changed to neutral camber by a tire shop.
2. Not altering the natural BMW camber, change out to non RFT and go square (same widths on all wheels) and choose non directional rotation tires so that you can rotate them in a criss cross pattern.

I do option 2 on all my BMWs.

The BMW camber is so that it flattens out at high speeds. If you drive a lot on the autobahn, tire wear is more even.

And if you are getting 29K out of RFT, that is great! I used to replace mine under 25K due to high noise and rough ride with the early generation RFT.

My current 335d has a set of square (changed from staggered) 18x8" style 197 BMW factory wheels w/ Conti DWS I rotate every 6K - so far I have gotten 25K out of them and tons of tread left!

When it's time to return my BMW, will be putting back on the factory equipped style 195 with staggered RFT with just a hair over 5/32" left....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7397.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	397343  
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I agree with above, every BMW seems to wear like that - my X5 was pretty bad, think the heavier they get the worse it gets, and AWD won't help.

I can't say enough about Michelin tires, they are so much better than the stock crap, even the Michelin runflats!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Thanks for the responses.

I'm with you Pat_X5 regarding option 2. I do a lot of mixed highway and city driving so I think the Michelins may hold up better. I'll just plan on rotating the tires with each oil change (I don't let the oil interval exceed 10,000 miles and personally prefer a 7500 mile interval).

Tire Rack has a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s for the X3 for $242 per tire vs $355 for Pirelli. If the tire lasts longer, the ride would be better, and its cheaper, then its a "win-win" all around.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
It's the negative camber on the tires that causes them to wear faster on the outside.
Doesnt negative camber means when the top of the wheel leans into the centre of the car? Shouldn't the inside of the tire wear faster in this case?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Very common on all my BMWs I have owned - it is worse with RFT and wider tires.

You have some options:
1. If you don't intend to drive fast, and drive only on city streets, have the alignment changed to neutral camber by a tire shop.
2. Not altering the natural BMW camber, change out to non RFT and go square (same widths on all wheels) and choose non directional rotation tires so that you can rotate them in a criss cross pattern.

I do option 2 on all my BMWs.

The BMW camber is so that it flattens out at high speeds. If you drive a lot on the autobahn, tire wear is more even.

And if you are getting 29K out of RFT, that is great! I used to replace mine under 25K due to high noise and rough ride with the early generation RFT.

My current 335d has a set of square (changed from staggered) 18x8" style 197 BMW factory wheels w/ Conti DWS I rotate every 6K - so far I have gotten 25K out of them and tons of tread left!

When it's time to return my BMW, will be putting back on the factory equipped style 195 with staggered RFT with just a hair over 5/32" left....
I have owned couple of 5 series and they never had that problem. I am wondering why +/- camber on this car should affect the tire. The tires should wear out evenly by designing the car in such a way.