Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 sport
No words from Insurance company (ICBC) yet and they told me they are still looking into this.

All I remembered is that it's a slow velocity impact because I was very firm on the brake for a few seconds (it was downhill and I was braking already) and I basically saw myself slowly rolling into the F150. He did a cold turkey stop on me because a car just stopped and turned left without a signal light all of a sudden. His ABS beat my ABS.
Then all airbags were popped.

Thanks every body for the reply...I actually got a PM from BMW North America here! I'll give them a call and see how it goes from there and keep you guys updated!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
thats because they dont want to go to court lol
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joho View Post
No words from Insurance company (ICBC) yet and they told me they are still looking into this.

All I remembered is that it's a slow velocity impact because I was very firm on the brake for a few seconds (it was downhill and I was braking already) and I basically saw myself slowly rolling into the F150. He did a cold turkey stop on me because a car just stopped and turned left without a signal light all of a sudden. His ABS beat my ABS.
Then all airbags were popped.

Thanks every body for the reply...I actually got a PM from BMW North America here! I'll give them a call and see how it goes from there and keep you guys updated!
what tires you got?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Shouldn't have happened! Those pix show virtually no damage -- more like a parking lot ding than a rear end collision. The problem is of course you hit the truck in the rear -- no matter what he did to make that occur (short of backing into you) so it will be "your" fault. I have an '06 too (the "sport" package makes no difference in airbag deployment) so am very interested in how this shakes out. Please keep us informed as to what happened. Sorry for your problem!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
what tires you got?
I'm using Pirelli PZero nero....brand new last December with less than 10k on it. Should be able to grip but not so sure on downhill and rainy day now...
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM

So I finally got a call from ICBC....my car is a write off. according to the adjuster she said it's mainly because of the airbag. The F150 does have a trailer hitch that got under my bumper but it wouldn't cause a write off if not all airbags popped.
I'm asking them to send me the estimate report and I'll be calling BMW about it. This is very upsetting given that this is my first accident on this car and it's done. Been a proud Bimmer owner for over 10 years (this is my second bmw) and now i'm not sure if I want to own another BMW.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:37 AM

I'm very sorry that your insurance co is writing off your car. I have no idea what replacement costs would be for all the car's airbag, but it must be very expensive. I was in an accident several months ago with my '06 X3 with 110k miles when a 92 year old man decided to drive out of a bank parking lot as I was driving by in clear view and broad daylight. It caused $6,500 in damage. I was almost certain they'd total it out, but my body shop explained they only do that when repair costs exceed 50% of the car's value - he had valued mine at $14,000, which I honestly thought was a bit high.

Definitely get that estimate report and also ask what the insurance co valued your car at. It's quite possible that they are deeming it more of a liability due to the airbag glitch than the actual repair cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	397663  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM

Sorry for pic glitch - I attached 2 photos off my iPhone and it only uploaded the 2nd picture (the other guy's car). This one was my damage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	397664  
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
On my repair I think the Air Bags alone were ~$7000 of the $15,500 total that they paid for the repair.

Steve
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Update:

I called BMW and put a file in, when I asked if I can send my estimate report to the rep to show them if its not the stupid airbags my car will be fine, they said no.
Nobody ever gets back to me at all.
As a BMW fan of over a decade, this is it. As much as I like the drive and feel, maybe I should stay away from BMW. This experience is horrible.

I got my license plate back from insurance company and guess what? The front license plate is not even dented! And yet the airbags popped and killed my 2006 X3.
Unfortunate, but I don't like how BMW did not get back to me at all.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joho View Post
Update:

I called BMW and put a file in, when I asked if I can send my estimate report to the rep to show them if its not the stupid airbags my car will be fine, they said no.
Nobody ever gets back to me at all.
As a BMW fan of over a decade, this is it. As much as I like the drive and feel, maybe I should stay away from BMW. This experience is horrible.

I got my license plate back from insurance company and guess what? The front license plate is not even dented! And yet the airbags popped and killed my 2006 X3.
Unfortunate, but I don't like how BMW did not get back to me at all.
You need to post this on a social media site like Facebook to draw some attention to this. Try posting pics and your story at: https://www.facebook.com/BMWUSA?sk=wall&filter=1
Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM

get a hold of these guys http://jalopnik.com/
a lot of die hard car enthusiasts there, have been known to move mountains
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Do X3 have sensors/black boxes that record things like speeds/impact sensors triggered for the last couple of seconds before the point of impact?

If it does, might help your case, not necessarily from a litigation point of view, but from a look-here-is-proof-that-your-car-is-defective regardless of whether the accident was your fault.