1997 328ic Check Coolant Light On - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740IL
1997 328ic Check Coolant Light On

After turning the engine off, the "Check Coolant Level" light displays, and I blow off coolant. I have filled the tank to the black mark on the outside, and it still displays. I have filled it above the mark thinking that it was still too low, and it blows off coolant and still displays the warning. I don't seem to lose coolant when filled to black mark on the tank. My BMW mechanic told me that it will not display if filled above the mark, so I tried it. When the coolant is filled to the mark and the cap is off, the tank appears to be completely empty with the engine running ,but refills to the correct level. The temperature gauge runs right in the middle, and the engine doesn't feel unusually warm, but living in the desert, I am concerned with overheating. Whatever the cause, I still would like to keep the warning display from coming on. The car has 147k on it, but have owned it about a year, so I am still learning. Do I have a normal situation with the coolant level, and could a sensor or cap be defective? The cap looks to be in good shape. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
The coolant level sensor in the bottom of the coolant reservoir uses a foam float with a magnet in it. With age the foam deteriorates and the float sinks to the bottom of the reservoir giving a low coolant indication when there's actually plenty of coolant. Replacing the sensor is the fix and you may as well do the reservoir with it.

With 147K miles if you haven't already done a cooling system overhaul you're way overdue. The plastic parts in the cooling system (water pump impeller, radiator end caps, coolant reservoir, thermostat housing, fan, etc.) get embrittled with heat and age and tend to fail suddenly. Most of us do the overhaul every 60K-70K miles as preventive maintenance.

Check out the "cooling system 101" sticky.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search