Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Suspension THUD/THUNK normal on an F10???

I hear a thud and thunk from my suspension when I go over large uneven surfaces. It almost feels (and sounds) like the heavy wheel and RFT just plops down when going over these surfaces. I assumed that was a normal sound with these heavy rolling-rock RFTs and heavy wheels on the F10.

Should I bring my vehicle in to the dealership to trouble shoot this? Is this noise not to be expected?

THIS thread on F10 post made me question it. I believe the dealership told him that they needed to replace his shock. It went away temporarily for him; however, came back after a while.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tularockstar
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
It's definitely not normal. You should experience no thump and/or thud from the suspension.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
You've had your car for a while, right? Has it made this sound all along? As far as "rolling rock RFT's", what pressures are you running? My 2011 535i is set at 34 front, 37 rear, or thereabouts. Sound like you might be over-inflated (not causing the "thud", just saying from your comments about the tires).

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Where do you hear it coming from, the rear of the car or from all 4 corners?

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
I just purchased my 2011 550i today and noticed the thump/thud on the way home. It seems to be coming from the rear. As BigDeep1 mentioned, it happened when going over uneven surfaces (about 70mph on a strip of highway that has a slight rise, then a fairly sudden fall and at about 50mph under the same circumstance).
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M6, B7, LX570, CGT
F10 has one of the stiffest chassis, but it makes all sorts of noises, feels very refined and luxurious when driving on smooth paved road, as soon as it gets rough, oh man, not a nice car to be in, then again, maybe I'm just too used to the LS
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I've never heard anything like that. However, I have the passive suspension. What kind do you have?
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 AM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
Suspension THUD/THUNK normal on an F10???

I recently have been getting a hard thump from the rear at certain times usually at higher speeds at a step in the road from construction or at slower speeds on a speed bump.
It doesn't matter what the setting is for the suspension. Comfort mode still will create the thump in the rear.
It feels like something is stuck in the suspension not allow it to bounce properly.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
i got both of my front shocks replaced under warranty for the noise.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535
I have a 2011 535 and have and do still experience this problem. Happens most often when the rear wheels are crossing over a speed bump, it doesn't happen every time. Sounds like the rear end just fell out of the car. I reported it during my first service appointment but they were unable to recreate the condition. So I just hold my breath each time I approach a speed bump. Pretty embarrasing when you have someone riding in your 70K car and it makes such a THUD!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
I had an issue where some of the junk in the little kit mounted to the trunk lid came loose and was rolling inside the kit, I removed it, and haven't had an issue since. Have you guys looked at the kit to see if the parts inside came out of the holders they were fitted into?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
I hear a thud and thunk from my suspension when I go over large uneven surfaces. It almost feels (and sounds) like the heavy wheel and RFT just plops down when going over these surfaces. I assumed that was a normal sound with these heavy rolling-rock RFTs and heavy wheels on the F10.

Should I bring my vehicle in to the dealership to trouble shoot this? Is this noise not to be expected?

THIS thread on F10 post made me question it. I believe the dealership told him that they needed to replace his shock. It went away temporarily for him; however, came back after a while.
I have no thuds....go to dealership.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Festaholic

I too would say that the noise comes from the rear. Describing it as the "suspension falling" when going over large uneven surfaces is a great description. I am also amazed at how choppy the car feels when accelerating when driving on a bad bumpy road. It feels like the rear skips and jumps. My old mustang did this, but it had a rear live axel.

My gut tells me that this is just inherent to the F10. I have an appointment with the dealership on Thursday. It will probably be a waste of my time.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Thanks BMGUY. The locking lug key was loose...hopefully that was it. The ride does still seem choppy, but the noise seems to be gone.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
I am not experiencing any thud/thunk on my car at all. I just took a 68 mile trip tonight and it was remarkably smooth and quiet on all road conditions.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530d SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
I too would say that the noise comes from the rear. Describing it as the "suspension falling" when going over large uneven surfaces is a great description. I am also amazed at how choppy the car feels when accelerating when driving on a bad bumpy road. It feels like the rear skips and jumps. My old mustang did this, but it had a rear live axel.

My gut tells me that this is just inherent to the F10. I have an appointment with the dealership on Thursday. It will probably be a waste of my time.
I would ask for a technician to join you for a drive where you can demonstrate the noise. Mine and the previous poster on F10.5Post definitely had noise from the front of the car and both drive F11s. The rear suspension is self levelling on the F11 so quite different from yours but the front is the same. We drive these expensive cars and I don't expect any type of knock but in my case BMW think they have found the problem. I'll see when I pick the car up on Saturday as they are replacing a front suspension wishbone.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Festaholic

Honestly, my noise was not that bad. I wanted to make sure that nothing was structurally wrong.

I just heard back from service that they could not find anything wrong. Oh well, that is all I really wanted to know.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535ix MSport w/ Dot
I've had it, it sounds like you're going over a log. I took it in and they told me couldn't replicate

It often happens when I go over the crown of the street at 30-40mph and the suspension suddenly drops down.
It's very annoying and it happens about 10% of the time over the same bump at the same speed, you have the active suspension, ARS?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
I've had it, it sounds like you're going over a log. I took it in and they told me couldn't replicate

It often happens when I go over the crown of the street at 30-40mph and the suspension suddenly drops down.
It's very annoying and it happens about 10% of the time over the same bump at the same speed, you have the active suspension, ARS?
Perfect description. Fully agree.

I do not have ARS.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550newbie View Post
Thanks BMGUY. The locking lug key was loose...hopefully that was it. The ride does still seem choppy, but the noise seems to be gone.
Your Welcome...
It took me a long time to find that - I didn't know there was a compartment up there so that made it really funny when I found it....

I hope that is a perm fix for your situation
tk
Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530d SE
The technician couldn't see anything obviously wrong but he changed the tie rod end and the lower wishbone (the one the shock absorber attaches to). He test drove the car and said he didn't really think there had been a difference. I've been out for an extended test drive and I think it is slightly better. Now the only time there is a knock is if the surface of the road suddenly dips and it sounds like the shock extends to its fullest and knocks at that point. The technician has offered to come and pick the car up from my house to take it back to BMW if I am still not happy. Think I may take him up on the offer.