Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Thinking about replacing my Pirelli Scorpion STR with Contiental PureContact

So my wife's 2008 X3 is approaching 70k miles on original Scorpion STRs - I'm honestly quite impressed by how long they've lasted. There's even still another 1/32" to go before I need to change them, so I've been taking my time to research the different tires available on Tire Rack.

Based on the customer surveys, the Continental receives significantly better scores in various measures INCLUDING:
Hydroplaning Resistance
Wet Traction
Cornering Stability
Dry Traction
Steering Response
Snow & Ice Traction
Ride Comfort
Noise Comfort
Treadwear

The Continental is listed as a "Grand Touring All Season" vs the Pirelli as "Highway All Season".

I cant really see any reason not to by the Continentals when on top of the higher ratings across the board, you save about $200.

Can anyone give me a good reason to buy the Scorpion besides "BMW spends gazillions of dollars in research tire performance for each vehicle and the Scorpions STR (Michellin Pilot HX MSM4 & Bridgestone Turanza EL42 also) were picked because no other tire will work perform better"

This is my wife's daily driver (work, kids, etc.). She drives about 1500 miles per month, half of which are one the highway, and half of the highway time is stop and go. We live in South Florida so no snow, and plenty of rain. She's a very soft, non-aggressive driver which explains why her original tires and brakes have lasted this long.
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
I stuck with Pirelli because they were just hitting the wear bars at 90,000 miles and the carcass stayed true the entire way. I've bought way too many tires over the years that had sidewall undulations, (which I consider a defect but mfg don't) or developed a radial pull or vibration long before the tread wore out. My worn out Pirellis were still as smooth as glass, ran straight and true, and had zero sidewall undulations the day they were pulled off. I already have 27,000 miles on my second set and they are performing just like the ones that came on it. The Pirelli Scorpions are also made in Germany which I find comforting.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
I stick with Scorpions due to their great handling on dirt roads. Replaced my 1st set on 60K and am on 40K on the second set. As usaret said, not a single sidewall problem (and a lot of potholes on those dirt roads I use a lot).
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I am getting close to needing to replace my Scorpion STR's. They were the original model on the '05 X3 3.0, so I will use them again I think.

Dealer wants $1200. No way. But even NTB, etc. want $1000. I know you can buy them online a lot cheaper, but is there anything special needed (balancing, re-setting gauges, etc.) if you just order them and put them on yourself? I read somewhere that one just doesn't change a Bimmer tire without doing a few extra things.

Not real mechanical, so would it just be more cost-effective to go NTB? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Conti ExtremeContact DWS is what I went with. Much nicer ride than the Scorpions.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 Blue & silv.325ci
Have second set of Scorpions as well and am about to replace after around 60,000 miles. Have liked the Scorpions, but at 196 vs the 150 each plus included hazard protection for the Continental through Tire Rack, may reconsider too. Do travel in snow and rain and not much off roading. Will be interested in additional pros/cons of the two since am due for new tires before the snow flies.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
expectencystick with the Pirellies i installed aftermarket tires and the result BMW uses Pirelli for a good reason!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM

^ what tires did you install, and were they the correct size?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Any opinions out there for the Pirelli P Zero Nero? They can be had for around $150 per tire. I ran a set on an Audi A4 back almost 10 years ago and they were fantastic, but curious about any recent X3 experiences?