Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: V8 Jeep
Cool 1984 533i is for sale in my town. Little help PLEASE!

This is unfortunately the second time I am writing this and I have an exam to study for so pardon my haste : /

A 1984 533i came up for sale in my town.
Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ZGQXR

Below is the ad the owner wrote.

*For Sale*

Rare 1894 BMW 533i 5-speed

Produced only in 1983 and 1984, the 533i was the top of the line bmw sedan with a price tag of more than $30,000. Its 190 hp straight 6 reputedly made the 533i the second fastest sedan sold in America.

I bought this car in 2003 from a private owner in Avon (A town near me). In addition to routine maintenance, it has new struts and strut towers, tie rods, bushing, starter, water pump and pretty much anything else that came along. New Radiator, fuel injector and heater core in 2009, Michelin in 2011, new pads/rotors in 2012 and new starter and two break calipers this year.

A nearby car shop has serviced the car since I bought it from one of its customers. Engine has been fed Mobil 1 synthetic oil since.

Add-ons include: K&N airr-filtration, anti-sway bars, 16" wheels, and Blaupunkt "Las Vegas" am/fm/cd system.

Comes w/ original manual.

Power steering and windows, leather interior, power sun roof, and On-board system monitoring.

There is bubble rust that needs attention. The AC runs cool air, the rear left door wont unlock or open. No parking brake. Cruise Control did work but mechanic forgot to reconnect it when re installing dash.

It's "Twin: is for sale right now in Virginia w/ 156k miles for $6,500. I think $4,5000 is a fair price

The car has 200k miles on it. The current owner is the 2nd owner. He is between 6-70, very modest and nice but doesn't know much about mechanics. I brought my father along (He is an aerospace engineer) and he mentioned several problems. For 1, the real differential was covered in oil and the engine sounded like the fuel pump was on its way out. I ran this car by a friend who is into Euro-mechanics and he said that $4,500 is very steep, and 2k would be fair. My brother, who is also big into cars, said $3,000 would be decent. The frame will need some body work too.

I am rushing to finish this post right now. If anyone can provide advice, I'd really appreciate it. Also, advice on how to haggle a price is great too. He seems to think the car is rare and I find it unlikely that he can be convinced otherwise._a_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0909131856.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	396078   Click image for larger version

Name:	0909131857.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	396079   Click image for larger version

Name:	0909131857b.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	396080   Click image for larger version

Name:	0909131857c.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	396081   Click image for larger version

Name:	0909131858.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	396082  

Ads by Google
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombolini View Post
This is unfortunately the second time I am writing this and I have an exam to study for so pardon my haste : /

A 1984 533i came up for sale in my town.
Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ZGQXR

Below is the ad the owner wrote.

*For Sale*

Rare 1894 BMW 533i 5-speed

Produced only in 1983 and 1984, the 533i was the top of the line bmw sedan with a price tag of more than $30,000. Its 190 hp straight 6 reputedly made the 533i the second fastest sedan sold in America.

I bought this car in 2003 from a private owner in Avon (A town near me). In addition to routine maintenance, it has new struts and strut towers, tie rods, bushing, starter, water pump and pretty much anything else that came along. New Radiator, fuel injector and heater core in 2009, Michelin in 2011, new pads/rotors in 2012 and new starter and two break calipers this year.

A nearby car shop has serviced the car since I bought it from one of its customers. Engine has been fed Mobil 1 synthetic oil since.

Add-ons include: K&N airr-filtration, anti-sway bars, 16" wheels, and Blaupunkt "Las Vegas" am/fm/cd system.

Comes w/ original manual.

Power steering and windows, leather interior, power sun roof, and On-board system monitoring.

There is bubble rust that needs attention. The AC runs cool air, the rear left door wont unlock or open. No parking brake. Cruise Control did work but mechanic forgot to reconnect it when re installing dash.

It's "Twin: is for sale right now in Virginia w/ 156k miles for $6,500. I think $4,5000 is a fair price

The car has 200k miles on it. The current owner is the 2nd owner. He is between 6-70, very modest and nice but doesn't know much about mechanics. I brought my father along (He is an aerospace engineer) and he mentioned several problems. For 1, the real differential was covered in oil and the engine sounded like the fuel pump was on its way out. I ran this car by a friend who is into Euro-mechanics and he said that $4,500 is very steep, and 2k would be fair. My brother, who is also big into cars, said $3,000 would be decent. The frame will need some body work too.

I am rushing to finish this post right now. If anyone can provide advice, I'd really appreciate it. Also, advice on how to haggle a price is great too. He seems to think the car is rare and I find it unlikely that he can be convinced otherwise._a_
If you want to drive this car everyday expect to repair some things. The rust issue could be the most troublesome. You need to thoroughly evaluate the cars condition, then you can determine its value versus other similar cars that are also on the market. Saying the engine sounded like the fuel pump is bad is a new one on me, since there are two, one in the gas tank and the other under the car. If you are serious about buying it, find a mechanic who is familiar with these cars and have him carefully look it over. Then ask him what it would cost to make it a good safe car. Deduct those costs from the asking price and you will have some sort of starting point. 29 year old cars are not projects for beginners, so you may want to keep looking.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1984 BMW 533i
moment of weakness has passed!

Did you ever find a 533i you liked? It was a weak moment when I put mine up for sale and I took it off the market soon after you and your dad looked at it. Now has 209k and is running strong. New SS exhaust last week. This month is my 10th anniversary of ownership, and barring major unheavals, I plan to keep it for many years. I hope you found one for yourself and have joined the BMW community. Great people. Great cars. Merry Christmas!