Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Car care for a rookie

Hello Guys. I just bought a 535Xi and very excited about it. I have upgraded form a camry to 535Xi. I want to take good care of my car but being a total rookie, I dont know where to start. To put things in right perspective.I don't even know How a car wash is done let alone waxing and stuff...Ya, That Bad!!
Can somebody tell me where I can find DIY car care videos or info. I don't mind paying a little bit for same. Alternately if there is info here on the website;Can somebody direct me.
I have got autobahn( clear bra) and leather care thru my dealer.
Does that alter the way someone takes care of the car.
I really really appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Thank you
Mike
Ads by Google
Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix M Sport
Congrats on the new car. Take a look at http://www.detailedimage.com/

They have a "Detailing Guide" and a blog which is helpful.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
This site has The Detail Department and Do-It-Yourself H.Q. Forums.

You might have better luck getting answers to your questions in those forums.

Last edited by Norm37; 09-10-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Start with this (My order a few weeks ago):

Items Ordered Price
2 of: Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $9.97
1 of: Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $8.55
1 of: Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax - 16 oz. Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $19.97
1 of: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax 15.2oz Liquid Spray Bottle. Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $9.97
1 of: Meguiar's HiTech Applicator Pad - Pack of 2 Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $3.40
1 of: Meguiar's Ultimate Polish - 16 oz. Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $6.97
1 of: Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $6.61
1 of: Meguiar's X4014 Yellow Microfiber Towel, (Pack of 14) Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $27.95

I use the quick detailer with the Yellow microfiber towels to dust off the car. Keeps me from having to wash the car as often.

I used the liquid wax - came with a applicator pad and black microfiber pad - This was is super easy to apply and removed. Very nice shine.

I have experimented with the liquid Quik wax. Suppose to use after wash. I would buy again.

I have not used the polish yet. Since the car is new, I did not feel it was necessary to apply at this time.

Wash Mitt - Have not used yet - I have been going to the local self-car wash where you spray down the car yourself and use the soapy brush. I like the idea of the spotless rinse capabilities at the self-wash. So far no hard water deposits on my car yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
I have been watching these videos from the //DRIVE CLEAN series.

http://www.ammonyc.com/

The videos are really helpful and his level of detail is boarderline OCD.

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884

Last edited by ae86pwr; 09-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Go to autogeek.com and watch videos
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 528ix sedan
Car care for a rookie

Don't use the soapy brush! They are usually loaded with dirt, tar, etc. you will put scratches in your paint.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
griotsgarage.com

2011 535iX, Imperial Blue, Black Dakota, M-Sport
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Car care for a rookie

I am not a fan of Meguiar's anymore although it is a good start. Since you are a complete novice, I would advise you to start with something simpler. First read up on two bucket technique and grit guards. It basically means you wash your car with two buckets and have a grid that prevents your sponges from sticking to the dirt. Use optimum no rinse car wash. More than 50% of pros use that. You can then use a wax or sealant of your choice. Collinite Insulator Wax beads the most. A sealant like Duragloss 105 or even an Optimum Poli-Seal (done by hand) will be a great basic start. The sealants will last longer than Collinite. Then get duragloss aquawax or a quick detailer. Buy good microfiber. But even Target's Vroom line is Ok. Watch out for the tag. If you do this, you'll get 90% of the way and learn how to put on waxes evenly etc. you can then move up to fancier stuff down the line. A porter cable random orbiter would be that. You'll want to practice on an older car first.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniek View Post
Don't use the soapy brush! They are usually loaded with dirt, tar, etc. you will put scratches in your paint.

I consistently worry about that too. Maybe I will just bring my own mit??? Before I start the wash, I always take the brush and lay the brushes down on the ground and then use the sprayer and I try and wash it as best as I can. - Probably still not good enough.

I appreciate your guidance as I will figure out a new plan.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Don't forget a Porter Cable 7424xp and various buffing pads. It makes everything so easy. Also some Klasse.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
Do some research on the 2 bucket wash. You have to ensure you don't rub grit across the finish. Some even go so far as to do a foam pre wash. I don't go that far, but I am pretty meticulous with my washing method.

The concept is that if you never scratch your vehicle you never have to polish it. I have a very nice flex 3401 polisher with every pad and polish imaginable, but I rarely ever have to break it out because I keep the vehicle scratch free.

I just apply wax every couple months. Real easy to apply and remove using the Flex with some soft pads.

You don't have to go crazy and spend hundreds on "commercial" 2 bucket setups. Just go to home depot or lowes and spend a couple bucks on some buckets. Get a good high quality soap and a really nice micro fiber glove and go for it. Make sure to rinse the glove OFTEN.

Never ever let the glove hit the ground and store in a zip loc when done to further ensure no grit gets on the glove while stored.

Just use common sense and avoid GRIT and rubbing GRIT on your vehicle at all times. That includes when washing or not.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i Msport
I've got one of these foamer things that I bought for washing my Corvette. It really does work well, even with the crappy water here in Dallas. I haven't tried it on my new 550i yet, probably this weekend. I think you can find videos of similar foamers in use - I think I've seen a few of them on YouTube.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/foamaster-foam-gun.html
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
Car care for a rookie

+1 for foam gun.

2011 535iX, Imperial Blue, Black Dakota, M-Sport
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH View Post
I consistently worry about that too. Maybe I will just bring my own mit??? Before I start the wash, I always take the brush and lay the brushes down on the ground and then use the sprayer and I try and wash it as best as I can. - Probably still not good enough.

I appreciate your guidance as I will figure out a new plan.
Yes, a microfiber mitt is very helpful, especially to get under the bumpers and wheel wells as well as loosening dirt that the sprayer doesn't loosen.
Wash the mitt and microfiber towels after each car wash. A double rinse cycle in the washing machine will help to make sure your mitt and towels are free of soap, which can leave a residue that makes them prone to leaving fine scratches.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Watch the video in the dpritchett reply. Very informative!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=704042

Last edited by Norm37; 09-13-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 528
Auto geek will tell you a lot of information on products and video how to's.
Check into Zainobros.com on line for care products.
Everyone has a favorite car care brand, but after doing this for 35 years, I've found their products to be the best.

More important than anything.....you just spent a lot of $$ for a new car. Change the oil at shorter intervals than they recommend.
I do a new car change at 1000 miles, and then every 3-4,000 thereafter with synthetic.
You'd be surprised when you see the dirt and metal shavings that come out in that oil.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Chilling

Mein Auto: F10 2013 550i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSE1956 View Post
Auto geek will tell you a lot of information on products and video how to's.
Check into Zainobros.com on line for care products.
Everyone has a favorite car care brand, but after doing this for 35 years, I've found their products to be the best.

More important than anything.....you just spent a lot of $$ for a new car. Change the oil at shorter intervals than they recommend.
I do a new car change at 1000 miles, and then every 3-4,000 thereafter with synthetic.
You'd be surprised when you see the dirt and metal shavings that come out in that oil.
Totally agree with you Zaino is top end and not 2 pricey, i also change my oil every 3-4k miles instead of the recommended 10-15k.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tularockstar
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
First and foremost rule: only 'hand wash' your new car! Don't believe the lie about the non-touch or brush less car washes. All of them will leave scratches on your car. Best is to hand wash it yourself. But, if you don't have time and/or facility, then find a hand wash place. Also, there are several websites that offer waterless car wash solution, where you only hand wash and detail your car every six months! Then, use the waterless wash in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejn View Post
Hello Guys. I just bought a 535Xi and very excited about it. I have upgraded form a camry to 535Xi. I want to take good care of my car but being a total rookie, I dont know where to start. To put things in right perspective.I don't even know How a car wash is done let alone waxing and stuff...Ya, That Bad!!
Can somebody tell me where I can find DIY car care videos or info. I don't mind paying a little bit for same. Alternately if there is info here on the website;Can somebody direct me.
I have got autobahn( clear bra) and leather care thru my dealer.
Does that alter the way someone takes care of the car.
I really really appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Thank you
Mike

Last edited by tularockstar; 09-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.