Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Replacing brakes with OEM pads - Goops & Anti squeal compound question

Getting ready to do my first brake job. I'm using all OEM BMW parts to replace original OEM parts.

I don't have any anti squeal compound but I DO have the following:
Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125...queal+compound
The description says it 'silences brake noise' but does that mean I can use this in place of anti-squeal compound?

ALSO, What is the best anti squeal compound recommended?

I also have Permatex Copper Anti-Sieze to use on the rotors and other parts that tend to lock up or corrode easier.

I've got the PB Blaster ready in case I have trouble getting anything off.

Am I going to need any other goops for this job?

Last edited by niceguymr; 09-10-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguymr View Post
Getting ready to do my first brake job. I'm using all OEM BMW parts to replace original OEM parts.

I don't have any anti squeal compound but I DO have the following:
Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125...queal+compound
The description says it 'silences brake noise' but does that mean I can use this in place of anti-squeal compound?

ALSO, What is the best anti squeal compound recommended?

I also have Permatex Copper Anti-Sieze to use on the rotors and other parts that tend to lock up or corrode easier.

I've got the PB Blaster ready in case I have trouble getting anything off.

Am I going to need any other goops for this job?
I only use, and highly recommend, the BMW paste. It is very thick and has graphite, copper and aluminum powder in it. Whatever you use BMW warns not to get any on the caliper piston boot.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
I only use, and highly recommend, the BMW paste. It is very thick and has graphite, copper and aluminum powder in it. Whatever you use BMW warns not to get any on the caliper piston boot.
I would like to get this, but I'm hoping to do my brakes this weekend and it takes me almost a week to get anything from these places unless I want to spend a small fortune on express shipping.

Can you think of anything good that I can get on Amazon Prime? or from a local AutoZone or Pep Boys?

Last edited by niceguymr; 09-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I would like to get this, but I'm hoping to do my brakes this weekend and it takes me almost a week to get anything from these places unless I want to spend a small fortune on express shipping.

Can you think of anything good that I can get on Amazon Prime? or from a local AutoZone or Pep Boys?
I have a bunch so if you'll PM me an address I'll put 4 packets in the mail tomorrow. If the idea of sending me your home address creeps you out just send me a work address. I'll mail them at the post office so you'll have them by this weekend.

No charge.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
This forum stands above all others in helpfulness and good common sense. Long may it continue.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
I have a bunch so if you'll PM me an address I'll put 4 packets in the mail tomorrow. If the idea of sending me your home address creeps you out just send me a work address. I'll mail them at the post office so you'll have them by this weekend.

No charge.
Your kindness and generosity are most appreciated. PM Sent
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Your kindness and generosity are most appreciated. PM Sent
Got it.... you are very welcome. No need to pay me. They are petty cheap and it will be my pleasure to help. I'll get them in the mail first thing tomorrow. Coming from the Gainesville area.... hopefully you'll have them by Friday.

Last edited by usaret; 09-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I used the CIC brake anti squeel--it's orange/red in color. And so far, no issues. But--BMW doesn't recommend lubricating the caliper guide pins, so I just cleaned them and ever so slightly lubed them.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Nice gesture.
Next time,in the absence of the official stuff, try putting a thin bead of hi temp silicone in an X pattern on the back of each pad. It will dampen and disrupt vibration which causes squealing. Before I install pads, I like to give the face of the pads a very light sanding to break any glaze left over by the manufacturing process. Make sure the sliders on the calipers are clean. I use a bit of antiseize on them to allow free travel of the pads.