Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Steering wheel vibration at idle

a few days ago I started to feel a heavy vibration in my steering wheel at idle while in gear sometime worst then others, I also noticed what sounds like the turbo or air intake whistling much louder on acceleration. With the windows open you can hear the humming of the vibration that after awhile hurts your head. lol, Not sure what is causing it but it is beyond annoying. Has anyone encountered this before.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Ads by Google
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The turbo noise you report is probably the source of the vibration too I'm guessing. I don't think we've heard of too many issues with the N55, at least vs the previous N54 (I had the fuel pump issue with my '08 335i). Time to take it in for a check -- hopefully it's not too serious.

Are you at a complete stop when you feel the vibration? The only thing I've noticed on mine (2011 535i), is at some times, if I'm moving slowly, like inching forward during a turn, I feel what seems like engine "pulsing", basically at idle, and I can sometimes feel it in the steering wheel. The idle is perfectly steady, but there's this hard-to-describe pulsing, like disconnected power pulses instead of a continuous stream of engine power.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks mark, I have an appt for service on mon. It vibrates at a stop as soon as the RPMs go up the vibration goes away, I also feel what you were talking about.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
Thanks mark, I have an appt for service on mon. It vibrates at a stop as soon as the RPMs go up the vibration goes away, I also feel what you were talking about.
Any update on this? I have the same since I bought my car and thought all BMWs are like that

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
When my engine (and probably more importantly - the AT fluid) are quite cold, like just after first starting in a cold morning, and I am in D but don't yet move with the brake fully engaged - I also feel quite strong vibrations. It's been so since day one, and as my 528xi is the first AT car I ever owned, I took it for a normal thing (basically it's a torque-braking scenario, only with increased resistance of the cold/dense fluid in the AT and the engine being prone to cold-shaking... After warming up, it goes away.

Isn't it normal?

Last edited by MoldCAD; 12-22-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
Any update on this? I have the same since I bought my car and thought all BMWs are like that
I have been to 2 dealers and thay can't find the cause . The last service center played with the RPMs and it's less noticable but it's still there. Their trying to play it off as normail, but can reproduce it on a new car.. I think I'm going to try to lemon it at this point.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
I have been to 2 dealers and thay can't find the cause . The last service center played with the RPMs and it's less noticable but it's still there. Their trying to play it off as normail, but can reproduce it on a new car.. I think I'm going to try to lemon it at this point.
BMW is like that, trust me. My 2K miles F10 is the same! its not as smooth as a MB or Lexus, when ideling I feel some vibration on the steering wheel, felt it even more on the 640xi Gran Coupe that I tested 5 months ago.

Not sure why BMW can't make a good engine mounts to absorb the vibration maybe its by design so the driver will feel connected otherwise BMW enthusiasts will complain about numb and isolated steering

Personally it started annoying me and I wish it was smooth as MB or Lexus, now I keep the auto start/stop on so when I stop at a traffic signal the car goes off and I get rid of the vibration

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
BMW is like that, trust me. My 2K miles F10 is the same! its not as smooth as a MB or Lexus, when ideling I feel some vibration on the steering wheel, felt it even more on the 640xi Gran Coupe that I tested 5 months ago.

Not sure why BMW can't make a good engine mounts to absorb the vibration maybe its by design so the driver will feel connected otherwise BMW enthusiasts will complain about numb and isolated steering

Personally it started annoying me and I wish it was smooth as MB or Lexus, now I keep the auto start/stop on so when I stop at a traffic signal the car goes off and I get rid of the vibration

Just saw this thread and I have almost the same issue... what my dealer, the service manager and an engineer they flew in all told me is that it is a harmonics issue with the engine. No solution is available!!!! It is the "luck of the draw" if your car experiences it or not and mainly happens with on x-drive versions. (I also have a 2013 535xi).

The solution they offered is to get a non x-drive version... can you believe that?????
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
i had the same problem. 2011 535xi, Went to the dealer for service and they said "repeated cold starts and driving short distances can lead to an increased frequency of misfires due to wet spark plugs". spark plugs were replaced under warranty and problem has seem to be gone. hope this helps, best of luck.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 325XiT
Same on Mine

I have a CPO 2013 535XI and I just started noticing the same vibration and it is typically when the car is cold and goes away as soon as the RPMs go up. When I take it in for the next service I will have them take a look at it.