Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Car has become "noisy" after detail!!

I know, a bizarre title. However, a couple of weeks ago I finally had my 2005 X3 detailed, and now every time I drive over the slightest road imperfection I hear all kinds of annoying squeaking and "chirping" noises. Up to that point, the car sounded rock solid and quiet, albeit dirty!

I have a theory. I think they must've applied some sort of rubber protectant on the door/window seals, and now when they rub against the door or window glass, it creates this noise. If that's the case, and I really can't imagine it being anything else, what's the solution? I assume I need to clean this stuff off of the rubber surfaces, but with what? I even thought of sprinkling some talcum powder on them....

I've waited a couple of weeks, hoping that whatever it was would rub off or be absorbed, but it hasn't. Any ideas??

Last edited by fastm3; 09-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Thank for all the ideas guys.

I cleaned all the rubber door and window seals with Goo-Gone and alcohol, hoping to completely remove whatever crap the detailer put on. Then I applied Gummi Pflege on all the seals. Haven't driven the car yet, but I'll let you know if it helped in the next few days. Certainly hope so, because the noises were driving me up the walls!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Car has become "noisy" after detail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastm3 View Post
I know, a bizarre title. However, a couple of weeks ago I finally had my 2005 X3 detailed, and now every time I drive over the slightest road imperfection I hear all kinds of annoying squeaking and "chirping" noises. Up to that point, the car sounded rock solid and quiet, albeit dirty!

I have a theory. I think they must've applied some sort of rubber protectant on the door/window seals, and now when they rub against the door or window glass, it creates this noise. If that's the case, and I really can't imagine it being anything else, what's the solution? I assume I need to clean this stuff off of the rubber surfaces, but with what? I even thought of sprinkling some talcum powder on them....

I've waited a couple of weeks, hoping that whatever it was would rub off or be absorbed, but it hasn't. Any ideas??
The "noises" are normal. The vehicle flexes as it travels Up an down hills and such. The sound was probably there before and you just never noticed it. Maybe it feels new after the detail and you're just more attentive.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Member No. 470379
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Mine get "creaky" when they dry out. I've had great success with this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...er-protectant/

Nothing else I've tried works as well. It's very thick and creamy like hand lotion and it smells good too. I put it on with my fingers to make sure I get into every part of the door seal covered. Mine still look like brand new.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
The "noises" are normal. The vehicle flexes as it travels Up an down hills and such. The sound was probably there before and you just never noticed it.
Believe me bro, noises drive me crazy, so I'm constantly attuned to the slightest noise. There isn't a noise that I don't notice. I always admired the fact that of my 4 cars, the X3 was always the most solid feeling and sounding, despite the fact that it has the most miles.

I think the detailer put some crap on the seals to supposedly "protect" them, or he put wax on the metal parts that touch the seals. Anyway, after my treatment mentioned above, I'm glad to report that the noises are substantially reduced, perhaps by 80-90%. I might hit the seal again with some more Gummi Pflege, or try out usaret's Meguiars product.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Last edited by fastm3; 09-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.