Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Congrats Alan and thanks for the review.
Any comments on the steering? How does the EPS compare to your xi's HPS? Apparently the lci's steering has been re-tuned for more feel and with your new car having the driveline and suspension stacked in favour of the EPS car it would be interresting to hear if it equals or surpasses the steering feel in the HPS car. Things as road feel, linearity, weight, on-center feel and return to center force would be interresting to hear about.
I've never driven the pre lci F10 with EPS so I can't compare it to the LCI but comparing it to my hydraulic setup in the old car I like the EPS better. Its nicely weighted and doesn't feel artificial like it did in my Xi. On center feel is excellent and frankly if i didn't know the car had EPS I wouldn't even know by driving it.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM

One HUGE thing i completely forgot to mention about the LCI is the SIDE BOLSTERS!

I really forgot how much I missed them from my 335i until i got into the new car. I immediately set the side bolsters to snug around my body and now the seats are perfect. The comfort seats before were awesome and now with the side bolster adjustment it just makes it over the top. I found my perfect seating position right away in this car where it could take me days to find it in other cars

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I've never driven the pre lci F10 with EPS so I can't compare it to the LCI but comparing it to my hydraulic setup in the old car I like the EPS better. Its nicely weighted and doesn't feel artificial like it did in my Xi. On center feel is excellent and frankly if i didn't know the car had EPS I wouldn't even know by driving it.
This is very good news. The main reason I asked is that the new M3 will likely have EPS and any progress made by BMW is encouraging. Taken the relatively poor feel of the F10's HPS as well as pre lci EPS I wonder if maybe the car has received not only an EPS re-tune but a new steering rack as well? Maybe realoem.com can shed some light. Ayhow I would guess (hopefully) that the F80 will have a brand new steering rack, different form both the F10 and F30.

Last edited by solstice; 09-11-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
You are right about ivory popping with grey. That is why i went with it instead of mocha. No regrets just yet and I am liking it more and more.

I did notice on my limited drive last night that the light output from the LED headlights/fog lights didn't seem as bright as my old CBI xenon setup. It could be that the factory has them pointed really low by default and I manually adjusted my xenons to be slightly higher up giving me more range. I'll try to do that with the LEDs and report back but from what i could tell they do seem a little dimmer. The color out put is very white from both the fogs and headlights. Not a hint of yellow at all.
I had Ivory in a 750i, it can be a bit of pain to keep up with but, much like a black car when it's clean it looks really good. it does get kind of a nice patina to it too.

I appreciate the honesty about the brightness. I didn't get the LEDs because I got too good of a deal on a left over 13 to give ordering a 14 much thought but, I was curious about them because most of what I've heard about them revolves around cosmetics and not the actual performance.

Every BMW I've had the headlights have been aimed really low from the factory. Hopefully just aiming them a bit higher will help.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 09-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Quote:
You are right about ivory popping with grey. That is why i went with it instead of mocha. No regrets just yet and I am liking it more and more.

I did notice on my limited drive last night that the light output from the LED headlights/fog lights didn't seem as bright as my old CBI xenon setup.
Alan,

How do the light rings in the headlights compare?

These seem to be crazy bright when the headlights are off. As far as the LED headlights in general, I feel like they give a very nice spread of light but I can only compare to my non-BMW vehicles.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Actually i find the new LED lights halo rings not as bright as the pre lci ones. They are bright but not like the old car was imo. The good thing is that with the LED lights the halos are lit much more even where as my pre lci one they were super bright right at the 6 oclock position

Alan

Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Great review Alan L. We were on the Don Juan together and I picked my 528-x up last night. Today I've moved my essentials into it, installed the rear fog light switch, changed to clear side reflectors, removed all the stickers on the windows and the hideous airbag warning labels from the visors, swapped to non run flats which then made me wash the whole car. It's been a busy day for us both. Good luck and many happy miles!

And did you notice the visual volume display (volume indicator for the deaf), so nice to finally have a BMW with it. I might even get used to the volume in the right side of the wheel before they change it back.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
And did you notice the visual volume display (volume indicator for the deaf), so nice to finally have a BMW with it. I might even get used to the volume in the right side of the wheel before they change it back.
I am sorry but if you are deaf, what does it matter what the volume is?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Good for you, Alan. My 535i is absolutely awesome, so I can just imagine how nice the 550i is.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It honestly shouldn't matter, but somehow it does. Guess we're all victims of subtle psychology.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
And did you notice the visual volume display (volume indicator for the deaf), so nice to finally have a BMW with it.
Never knew why a visual indicator of volume level was needed. I recently test drove an LCI 535i and noticed the volume bar, luckily, only visible for a second or 2 while adjusting the sound. I wish BMW would stop adding "silly" things just to keep up with the likes of other vehicles and their owner's "have to" haves. A BMW is not a Lexus, and (hopefully) never will be -- and doesn't have to be. Leave it be and enjoy it as a BMW, that's my view.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-11-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Never knew why a visual indicator of volume level was needed. I recently test drove an LCI 535i and noticed the volume bar, luckily, only visible for a second or 2 while adjusting the sound. I wish BMW would stop adding "silly" things just to keep up with the likes of other vehicles and their owner's "have to" haves. A BMW is not a Lexus, and never will be -- and doesn't have to be. Leave it be and enjoy it as a BMW, that's my view.
I wouldn't say I pined for it when I had my car. But I did like it when I saw it in action today.

Certainly not strictly necessary. Unless you're trying to turn it up to 11.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You don't really want to roll down the road blasting everybody out because you can't hear how loud you really are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It honestly shouldn't matter, but somehow it does. Guess we're all victims of subtle psychology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I wouldn't say I pined for it when I had my car. But I did like it when I saw it in action today.

Certainly not strictly necessary. Unless you're trying to turn it up to 11.
That's the way I feel.. It's not really needed and I've never pined for it, but because I've got it on my other cars, I've kind of subconsciously looked for it.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto:
Well, from what Alan L and Sonicendeavour are saying the LCI rides better than pre-LCI. However....it looks like the LCI is still not up to your standards. Furthermore even if the car had come with the controversial M Sport suspension, you still would have modified it. I wonder if four or five enthusiasts drove your car after the completed mods would prefer the drive to standard or even M Sport suspension. Finally it would be interesting if a trilogy of professional drivers from the top mags had a go with your set-up and gave a full write-up.

I do admire your bold, adventurous quest to tailor the car to your driving needs and wants but I can't help suspecting that the end-result is like an idiosyncrasy. I think only with professional driving instruction can one begin to discern the difference between an improvement in the driving dynamics of the car and weaknesses due to the shortcomings of the driver.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i Msport
Question LCI - what?

OK, I hate to sound like an idiot, but what does LCI stand for? I've never seen so many acronyms as there are in this forum - makes it hard for a newbie to know what is going on! Is there a glossary somewhere?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
Well, from what Alan L and Sonicendeavour are saying the LCI rides better than pre-LCI. However....it looks like the LCI is still not up to your standards. Furthermore even if the car had come with the controversial M Sport suspension, you still would have modified it. I wonder if four or five enthusiasts drove your car after the completed mods would prefer the drive to standard or even M Sport suspension. Finally it would be interesting if a trilogy of professional drivers from the top mags had a go with your set-up and gave a full write-up.

I do admire your bold, adventurous quest to tailor the car to your driving needs and wants but I can't help suspecting that the end-result is like an idiosyncrasy. I think only with professional driving instruction can one begin to discern the difference between an improvement in the driving dynamics of the car and weaknesses due to the shortcomings of the driver.
Alan was comparing an LCI non 704 to a pre LCI non 704.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.

Last edited by jagu; 09-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1100 View Post
OK, I hate to sound like an idiot, but what does LCI stand for? I've never seen so many acronyms as there are in this forum - makes it hard for a newbie to know what is going on! Is there a glossary somewhere?
Life cycle impulse - Face lift.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1100 View Post
Life Cycle Impulse - basically the mid-life refresh for a model.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Haven't noticed the volume thing yet but now I am curious.....

The weather has been nice the last month and a half but the two days I have car stuff to do its high 80's and extremely humid. Of course the impatient side of me didn't want to wait to install wheels so imagine a guy in slacks and dress shirt swapping wheels drenched in gallons of sweat..... not fun at all lol

Took two pics of the ACS springs and the massive calipers I painted gloss black. More review of the springs after i put some miles on them. I literally just picked up the car and drove it less than 4 miles home.

The brakes are massive on the 550. Does anyone know for sure that they are bigger than the 535 brakes? I painted both cars calipers gloss black and these just look massive compared to the 535's

Last edited by Alan L.; 09-11-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Here is a pic of the ivory interior with black anthracite trim on a very cloudy day. Doesn't look as yellow in person.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix
Congrats on the new car and great review..

Enjoy the Car....
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5, F13 650i, F01 B7
I like the steering wheel better than the one in my M5.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
The brakes are massive on the 550. Does anyone know for sure that they are bigger than the 535 brakes? I painted both cars calipers gloss black and these just look massive compared to the 535's
Judging from the extension beyond the rotor and the same slight cutout around the hub, the calipers look to be the same size as my LCI 535i. Yeah, they are massive. There's a slight difference in the shape of the cover plate and a couple of the cutouts so they may not be exactly the same calipers, or possibly they use multiple vendors.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 09-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Nice write up Alan, glad you're enjoying your new 550 and all that HP. What's sad is I have a garage full of wheels, tires, black perfomance grills, tint. venture shield, and I just got my ENET cable for all the coding I'll be doing. I'm still missing the one important piece, the car is built and waiting to be put on a boat. You'll have to let us know about the handling with the lowered springs. One thing I can say about the 704 in the 535 that I did the ultimate drive in and the one on my X5 is this. The car feels like a tank. It literally feels a thousand pounds heavier and it makes the tires feel 16" wide, yet it handles like it weighs a 500 lbs. I feel like the car is glued to the road. I know this is all just my perception. I'm not going to be lowering mine so I have to like it the way it is stock. I'm betting with your new springs it'll be pretty dang close if not better than the 704, especially with the extra weight of that V8. Can I ask you which tune you had on your 535? stage 1 or 2? I had the dInan stage 2 on my 335i and loved it. I loved it so much that I spun cylnder 5 & 6 main bearings at 42,000 miles. The tune was installed at 20K. BMW said I had to pay 16K for a new motor that it was the tunes fault, Dinan stepped up and paid, however I think the piggyback route would be bettter this time. trying to decide BMS, COBB or Procede. I just want to make sure I can clear codes and uninstall quickly, and that its a good tune, not one that just bumps the boost up.

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i Msport
Great assessment Alan. From your photo, the Space Grey on the LCI appears to be darker than the pre-LCI. Is this correct or is it just the lighting that made it look that way? Also, what 20" wheels did you end up with?