Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Well, we can all agree that Alan has taste. The car looks individual and formidable. It is almost as if he is attempting to create a masterpiece out of an already good product! It is commendable that the alterations are both cosmetic and mechanically dynamic. I wish carmags could give reviews on people's mods as an addition to the run-of-the-mill reviews. Alan may well succeed in besting the ride and handling of the 2013/2014 550i M Sport with M Sport suspension. However, I would need it reviewed by professional drivers. I don't think Alan is intending his nascent car for track use, so the review would cover standard driving situations.

Last edited by Steve J; 09-12-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
Judging from the extension beyond the rotor and the same slight cutout around the hub, the calipers look to be the same size as my LCI 535i. Yeah, they are massive. There's a slight difference in the shape of the cover plate and a couple of the cutouts so they may not be exactly the same calipers, or possibly they use multiple vendors.
From what i remembered about my 535's calipers they were also very big but not as angular as the ones on my 550. Def. some difference in the way they look.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Nice write up Alan, glad you're enjoying your new 550 and all that HP. What's sad is I have a garage full of wheels, tires, black perfomance grills, tint. venture shield, and I just got my ENET cable for all the coding I'll be doing. I'm still missing the one important piece, the car is built and waiting to be put on a boat. You'll have to let us know about the handling with the lowered springs. One thing I can say about the 704 in the 535 that I did the ultimate drive in and the one on my X5 is this. The car feels like a tank. It literally feels a thousand pounds heavier and it makes the tires feel 16" wide, yet it handles like it weighs a 500 lbs. I feel like the car is glued to the road. I know this is all just my perception. I'm not going to be lowering mine so I have to like it the way it is stock. I'm betting with your new springs it'll be pretty dang close if not better than the 704, especially with the extra weight of that V8. Can I ask you which tune you had on your 535? stage 1 or 2? I had the dInan stage 2 on my 335i and loved it. I loved it so much that I spun cylnder 5 & 6 main bearings at 42,000 miles. The tune was installed at 20K. BMW said I had to pay 16K for a new motor that it was the tunes fault, Dinan stepped up and paid, however I think the piggyback route would be bettter this time. trying to decide BMS, COBB or Procede. I just want to make sure I can clear codes and uninstall quickly, and that its a good tune, not one that just bumps the boost up.
I was the same way when i got my first F10. I had a house stacked with aftermarket parts before the car arrived. I like to prepare for things and if you are going to do it anyway you might as well do it all one shot to get it out of the way. Thats my reasoning at least lol. Wife tells me I'm nuts all the time when it comes to cars...

For my 535 I had the JBS2. Awesome tune for the money just wish where were more options out there. The only other tune i was considering was the Hartge piggyback but that $1300 was tuff to swallow without any confirmed owners having this installed on the 535 with more gains than the JB S2 tune.

From my understanding Cobb nor Procede have anything offered for the F10 535. I use to have all three tunes for my N54 335 and liked the Cobb the best. Too bad it could be years before anyone comes out with a DIY flash tune for this platform.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKtect View Post
Great assessment Alan. From your photo, the Space Grey on the LCI appears to be darker than the pre-LCI. Is this correct or is it just the lighting that made it look that way? Also, what 20" wheels did you end up with?
Its the picture and program i used on my iphone. The color is the same between the pre lci and lci. I still have my 20" Morr VS8.2 which I just put back on but I do have another set of wheels coming...

Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
Well, we can all agree that Alan has taste. The car looks individual and formidable. It is almost as if he is attempting to create a masterpiece out of an already good product! It is commendable that the alterations are both cosmetic and mechanically dynamic. I wish carmags could give reviews on people's mods as an addition to the run-of-the-mill reviews. Alan may well succeed in besting the ride and handling of the 2013/2014 550i M Sport with M Sport suspension. However, I would need it reviewed by professional drivers. I don't think Alan is intending his nascent car for track use, so the review would cover standard driving situations.
Thank you

This is just something I've always done with my cars and I take pride that I can make something more beautiful than it was originally without being over the top. Those wild spoiler days are long behind me (thank god) and now its all about subtle enhancements that at first glance could be oem but not quite.

To me as long as I am happy with the way this car handles and rides I could care less what other people think or want to call the car. I am more than happy to let someone have a go at my car during a meet or something as long as i get a chance to take their 704 suspension for a drive as well to compare. I would guess with my car now on ACS springs it would feel pretty similar.

Alan

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Never knew why a visual indicator of volume level was needed. I recently test drove an LCI 535i and noticed the volume bar, luckily, only visible for a second or 2 while adjusting the sound. I wish BMW would stop adding "silly" things just to keep up with the likes of other vehicles and their owner's "have to" haves. A BMW is not a Lexus, and (hopefully) never will be -- and doesn't have to be. Leave it be and enjoy it as a BMW, that's my view.
Is BMW the only car manufacturer on the planet that doesn't have visual volume level indicators in all it's cars? Have anyone ever seen a home amplifier that doesn't have it? This isn't silly. It's an absolute oversight. My 2013 X3 doesn't have it and it's quite annoying. Basic reasons for:

Judging correct setting for future use.
Knowing what level won't annoy others- in and outside car.
Having an "anchor" for volume settings.
To aid the deaf like the person who commented in this thread.
To prevent you and others from losing some of your hearing because you have the music playing too high and didn't realize it.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Thank you

This is just something I've always done with my cars and I take pride that I can make something more beautiful than it was originally without being over the top. Those wild spoiler days are long behind me (thank god) and now its all about subtle enhancements that at first glance could be oem but not quite.

To me as long as I am happy with the way this car handles and rides I could care less what other people think or want to call the car. I am more than happy to let someone have a go at my car during a meet or something as long as i get a chance to take their 704 suspension for a drive as well to compare. I would guess with my car now on ACS springs it would feel pretty similar.

Alan
Excellent review Alan!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Hope you don't run into 'battery discharging when stationary'

congrats. car looking good.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM

^^ and if i do i know what NOT to do lol

or maybe I do so I can switch up into a M5 next? Hmm....

Slight update - Ended up ordering the M550d/650 16mm rear sway bar/bushings from ours friends over at Tischer. The bar was in stock so it was a impulse purchase on my part. It was on a 2 month back order the last time i checked with Tischer. Going from a 14mm rear bar to 16 should be pretty significant. Going to hold off on the M5 front bar until i really get a feel for this thing. I dont want the car to feel too firm with the piss poor roads we have here in NY. I have a strong feeling i won't be missing this 704 suspension one bit

Alan

Last edited by Alan L.; 09-12-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 535i
Alan, Curious why you didn't go with xDrive this time? You seemed to be a proponent of AWD in the past.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

I went with the rwd this time around simply because I found myself not driving my car at all during inclement weather. Last year NY got maybe 2 snow storms and most of the snow melted within a week. To me if you are forced to drive to work or a lot no matter what the weather is I would get the xdrive but for me its overkill. I don't drive to work and i don't drive when its risky out. Not because of my driving skill but more so I am worried about the other idiots on the road hitting me. I have a set of dedicated snow tires ready for the F10 so that should be more than enough for me.

Alan

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 530d XDrive Touring
Moar pics of LEDs please!

That squared off, flattened angel eye looks incredible. I would not want to see that coming up behind me. Would get my attention and I would gladly get out of the way. Positively menacing in a very good way.

Well done sir!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I went with the rwd this time around simply because I found myself not driving my car at all during inclement weather. Last year NY got maybe 2 snow storms and most of the snow melted within a week. To me if you are forced to drive to work or a lot no matter what the weather is I would get the xdrive but for me its overkill. I don't drive to work and i don't drive when its risky out. Not because of my driving skill but more so I am worried about the other idiots on the road hitting me. I have a set of dedicated snow tires ready for the F10 so that should be more than enough for me.

Alan
You know, what you say here is so true. I realize there are benefits to AWD unrelated to weather conditions, and I certainly like hammering my 550 around a corner hard without fear of jacking off the road or losing control into oncoming traffic, but I really do wish I could break the rears loose more often and would like to try drifting or simply burning some rubber from a stop from time to time.

I like to lease, so I'll probably give RWD a try next time and then just go back to AWD if I prefer it.

In a few months, I'd love to hear your review of driving the RWD 550 hard and if you'd rather go back to AWD.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Congrats

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
congratulations for you new car, cant wait to see the end product
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Great feedback. Thanks Alan

Anxious to see before/after pics

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi Msport Alpine
Looking great already..looking forward to see it... now u gonna make me want a 550...ohh new sig pls..lol

Pickup on 4/27/2013: "13" 535xi M Sport, Alpine, Beige, Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather, Technology, Dynamic Handling, Driver Assistant Pkg, Paddle Shifters and Ceramic Controls.

Pickup 2/16/2014, 2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium, Cayenne Red exterior/Black interior

Steve
https://www.facebook.com/groups/socal535f10crew/
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 AM

Quick iphone app pic from this morning before going to work. Once i have time I will do a legitimate photo shoot of the car.

Mods on so far...

3D Design front lip
Painted front reflector
BMW Performance Rear Diffuser in Gloss Black
BMW Performance trunk lip
BMW Performance Black Grills
Gloss Black Badge
Gloss Black Calipers
AC Schnitzer Springs
20" Morr VS8.2 with Michelin PSS Tires
Supersprint Quad Exhaust

Still left to do...
Wincos Tint (Saturday)
M550d/650 16mm Rear Sway Bar (Next week)
New Wheels (ETA Nov)

Last edited by Alan L.; 09-13-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
BMW take notice. This is how an M-Sport should look. Perfect wheel gap, wheel size, wheel type and aero bits. Beautiful job as always Alan.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Took delivery of my LCI 550i today =) *Mini Review*

Sharp. Very sharp.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
That wheel gap looks perfect and those exhaust tips and rear diffuser look fantastic! Very nice!

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Sharp. Very sharp.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
You nailed it once again! +1 on Solstice's comment for BMW to take notice.
It makes me wonder how the gap would look if I installed those ACS springs with my 19" wheels vs. your 20 inchers. I read that the ACS springs drop 1.5" in the front and 1.25" in the back. Is that about right?
Again, the car looks really good.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 09-13-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Alan, not to thread jack, but wanted to add some comments / observations / thoughts.

I drove an LCI 550 earlier this week. It was an MSport, but had no 704
Suspension.

I found that I really liked the ride and handling. Didn't push it that much (this is Houston, we have no roads with turns) but it felt competent and planted. Way more composed than the base suspension in pre-LCI cars. And with better body control than my 2011 with DHP unless it was in Sport / Sport Plus.

Overall, it felt more BMW like.

I feel like this is a great step in the right direction and is perfectly acceptable for the 5 series. We should be happy we can also get the 704 suspension as well as DHP.

The steering was better, but still not the same as the older hydraulic systems. It is heavier than, say, Audi or my Porsche Cayenne. Gave decent feel though.

Overall, even before your mods your choice was a great setup. Afterwards it should be perfect! Good luck!

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-13-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
You nailed it once again! +1 on Solstice's comment for BMW to take notice.
It makes me wonder how the gap would look if I installed those ACS springs with my 19" wheels vs. your 20 inchers. I read that the ACS springs drop 1.5" in the front and 1.25" in the back. Is that about right?
Again, the car looks really good.
Thank you guys....

You should def. consider doing it. With the ACS springs and your stock 19's it will pretty much look like KA's car on the 704 but slightly lower. ACS springs is more like 1" drop so its pretty subtle but noticeable. After several hundred miles they should settle slightly lower than where mine is now.