Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Alan, not to thread jack, but wanted to add some comments / observations / thoughts.

I drove an LCI 550 earlier this week. It was an MSport, but had no 704
Suspension.

I found that I really liked the ride and handling. Didn't push it that much (this is Houston, we have no roads with turns) but it felt competent and planted. Way more composed than the base suspension in pre-LCI cars. And with better body control than my 2011 with DHP unless it was in Sport / Sport Plus.

Overall, it felt more BMW like.

I feel like this is a great step in the right direction and is perfectly acceptable for the 5 series. We should be happy we can also get the 704 suspension as well as DHP.

The steering was better, but still not the same as the older hydraulic systems. It is heavier than, say, Audi or my Porsche Cayenne. Gave decent feel though.

Overall, even before your mods your choice was a great setup. Afterwards it should be perfect! Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I am glad its not just me that felt this way about the LCI. At first I thought i would be bored getting the LCI since its essentially the same car as my 13 but it actually feels like a completely different car. Much more enjoyable to drive. One thing I've noticed that always bugged me about my 535xi was the steering felt artificially heavy in sport mode and the turning ratio was very slow. I had to move the wheel quite a bit for the car to turn the amount I would expect it to and that made spirited driving less enjoyable for me. Now with the LCI i find the steering very good and on point. Its not as stiff as my old car and the turning ratio is def. quicker. I would make some tight turns expecting to really crank the wheel but surprised that i didn't have to turn it as much to make the same turn! The car just feels sharper all around compared to my old car.

Any chance we will be pulling you back into a BMW in a near future?

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 09-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Quick iphone app pic from this morning before going to work. Once i have time I will do a legitimate photo shoot of the car.
[...]
AC Schnitzer Springs
20" Morr VS8.2 with Michelin PSS Tires
Supersprint Quad Exhaust
From your list of mods already done, I left those above I like best. The right-rear pic of your 550 is absolutely, utterly sexy

Congrats, man - and I envy you. No matter how low I drop my F10, or how expensive exhaust I fir to it - it will still be just a tank with the little 4-banger in it

And yet, I somehow love it too!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM

^^ all that matters is that you also have a beautiful car. Doesn't matter whats under the hood! At least you won't be best friends with the local gas station like i will be lol

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Yeah, if only it had 450 HP under this pretty hood...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
Took delivery of my LCI 550i today =) *Mini Review*

Have you ever run into any ground clearance issue? I was at my friends house the other day and managed to scrape my front bumper on his drive way... Wasn't an issue before the acs springs...
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I am glad its not just me that felt this way about the LCI.
Alan
I'll be doing an event with BMW on a race track next week with among others the M6 GC, M6 Coupe and the Alpina B7. I hope these are 2014s but I doubt it.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nison View Post
Have you ever run into any ground clearance issue? I was at my friends house the other day and managed to scrape my front bumper on his drive way... Wasn't an issue before the acs springs...
It comes with the territory.... Once you drop it you will have to be more aware of driveways and how you approach them. I've always had lowered cars so I am use to driving a certain way but there are times where I see a driveway and just go "oh hells no" and park the car elsewhere. I've seen bone stock cars scrape so not surprised if you did with your car. For me its worse because of my front lip so I have to be extra careful.

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Yeah, if only it had 450 HP under this pretty hood...
The way you have to look at it is that your 528i is an extended range F10 designed for long distance cruising.

We are a community of F10'ers.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive

Sounds like I need a lowered car driving course from you in order to drive my car

I did some research before I put the springs on, looks like My car with acs springs is just .2 inch lower than my Audi A4 so I didn't pay much attention to it...

Now I feel anxious whenever I go onto any drive way.

Quote:
It comes with the territory.... Once you drop it you will have to be more aware of driveways and how you approach them. I've always had lowered cars so I am use to driving a certain way but there are times where I see a driveway and just go "oh hells no" and park the car elsewhere. I've seen bone stock cars scrape so not surprised if you did with your car. For me its worse because of my front lip so I have to be extra careful.

Alan
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM

You should be fine without a front lip. Just make it a habit to enter suspect driveways at the widest angle possible. Never straight in at one.

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Congrats buddy! I definitely looks sharp, just like your previous F10. Great write up and information!

Did you post a review since the ACS springs have been on?

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Not yet. Didn't drive on them enough to really get a feel for it yet. By this weekend I'll post something up. All i know is that with the ACS springs installed the ride quality stayed the same as stock!

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
I am glad its not just me that felt this way about the LCI. At first I thought i would be bored getting the LCI since its essentially the same car as my 13 but it actually feels like a completely different car. Much more enjoyable to drive.....
Alan
I too am glad it's not just me. When I posted my initial perceptions comparing my LCI M Sport (non 704) to the 2013 I was accused of putting lipstick on a pig and met with other such skepticism. . My thoughts were simply that it matched up quite well to its predecessor but the improved steering and road feel gave the LCI an edge.
Anyway, I knew the car felt better to me, but it's good to hear you BMW veterans voice similar thoughts.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I drove a 2014 LCI 535i Luxury Line yesterday. Steering was clearly improved. Steering in Sport was better than Sport in my 2011 550i with DHP. The LCI 535 does feel like a completely different car. Its driving dynamics were excellent and much improved.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:

Alan

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Congrats buddy! I definitely looks sharp, just like your previous F10. Great write up and information!
^^^ THIS!

I wanna 550 now.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX

Quote:
Any chance we will be pulling you back into a BMW in a near future?

Alan
It's very possible. Waiting on the F80 to roll out... . I gave up my new car slot when we traded in the F10 for the Cayenne. My wife knows I laid down for that one so I think she'll let me get whatever I want in a little while. Currently planning on a Fall 2014 Euro Delivery to coincide with our anniversary. Our honeymoon was in Munich during Octoberfest.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jaguar F-Type S
Quote:
Waiting on the F80 to roll out...
Iím with you, but waiting on the F83 M4 convertible. Some of the photo renderings I have seen look really good. I sure hope BMW improves the interior a bit (better quality materials) to separate it from the ďso soĒ 3 series. I donít know if I can go backwards in interior quality. Otherwise I would have to move to a 6 series or stick with the 5. Come on BMW, donít let us down!

2014 Jaguar F-Type S Ebony/Jet
Previous:
2012 535i M Sport Alpine White/Oyster & Black
2011 328i Convertible Mineral White/Oyster & Black
2006 325i Convertible Alpine White/Tan
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Ivory white interior. My old car had black nappa and now the new car has Ivory white nappa. Huge difference for sure and it took me awhile to get use to it. Its growing on me the more I drive the car. I'm thinking I should have went with Mocha instead but we'll see. Ivory combo gives the interior a different upscale look.
I have to agree - I got Oyster/Black on mine and it might be the only choice I regret. My last two have had black interiors and I did want a change. It's very nice, certainly - but whenever I look at a light interior like that, I think "luxury" not "sporty".

Mine was a car I found on the lot, and it was a sweet deal on a remaining '13 - and I'm fine with it. Might have been nice if it had saddle brown, or whatever the darker brown was on the 2013s (I already forgot).
Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Congrats, Alan! Have been in and out of town lately so haven't driven my car much, but did the other day and was astonished at how truly perfect it is. Now with 704 added back I'm starting to consider the thought of getting the ultimate "perfected" version which I'd assume the LCI should be. Re: the steering wheel, I agree about the designs relationship to the F10's interior, however do you notice how much thinner it is than the previous M Sport wheel? Or is it unnoticeable? I hated that about it as to me "bigger is better" and the pre-LCI M Sport wheel was the ultimate in chunky/plush thickness.

Also, do the LED headlights make a noticeable difference in output/brightness at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Alan, nice mini write up, short and to the point, just the way I like it and finally a concrete comparison between the two suspension.
To be fair, Alans previous car didn't have 704 suspension, however as I said in my own review, as Alan noted, the difference isn't "night and day" between the pre-LCI 704 and LCI non-704 anymore, BUT the difference is still there in tightness and sportiness/road feel.... it's not super extreme, but decently noticeable (enough for one to ensure sticking with 704 if that's what they're after). However, that's considering stock LCI which Alan's is clearly not anymore! That wheel gap looks perfect!
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Alan,

Just saw your pics. Your car looks great!

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It's very possible. Waiting on the F80 to roll out... . I gave up my new car slot when we traded in the F10 for the Cayenne. My wife knows I laid down for that one so I think she'll let me get whatever I want in a little while. Currently planning on a Fall 2014 Euro Delivery to coincide with our anniversary. Our honeymoon was in Munich during Octoberfest.

Lucky you. As much as I love my 550 my heart is with the F80 M (manual please!)

My daughter closed the door on that one when she was born. There isn't a need for two cars in the family just yet so one car needs to act as daddy's toy and family mobile

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I have to agree - I got Oyster/Black on mine and it might be the only choice I regret. My last two have had black interiors and I did want a change. It's very nice, certainly - but whenever I look at a light interior like that, I think "luxury" not "sporty".

Mine was a car I found on the lot, and it was a sweet deal on a remaining '13 - and I'm fine with it. Might have been nice if it had saddle brown, or whatever the darker brown was on the 2013s (I already forgot).
I just spent a few hours detailing the car and one of the things I had to do was apply what Phil over at detailers domain recommended to me. Leather Masters Protection Cream. It acts as barrier layer between you and your leather so it won't stain as easily. Goes on wet but dries a nice matte finish that is invisible. I am starting to really like the Ivory interior especially at night. Once the door opens the lighter color interior looks so much more inviting and luxurious compared to my cave like 535. Highly recommend that cream if you want to clean/protect your light color interior.

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Congrats, Alan! Have been in and out of town lately so haven't driven my car much, but did the other day and was astonished at how truly perfect it is. Now with 704 added back I'm starting to consider the thought of getting the ultimate "perfected" version which I'd assume the LCI should be. Re: the steering wheel, I agree about the designs relationship to the F10's interior, however do you notice how much thinner it is than the previous M Sport wheel? Or is it unnoticeable? I hated that about it as to me "bigger is better" and the pre-LCI M Sport wheel was the ultimate in chunky/plush thickness.

Also, do the LED headlights make a noticeable difference in output/brightness at night?

To be fair, Alans previous car didn't have 704 suspension, however as I said in my own review, as Alan noted, the difference isn't "night and day" between the pre-LCI 704 and LCI non-704 anymore, BUT the difference is still there in tightness and sportiness/road feel.... it's not super extreme, but decently noticeable (enough for one to ensure sticking with 704 if that's what they're after). However, that's considering stock LCI which Alan's is clearly not anymore! That wheel gap looks perfect!
The steering wheel is noticeably thinner than the last version. Its still thick but not as thick. The one thing that I do like more about this new wheel is that it has a more simplistic design which allows you to see the paddles behind it and dash cluster much more clearly than before. On the old wheel the paddles were pretty much 90% covered up where as now its being showcased as being part of the steering wheel.

As for the LED headlights I def. can't say they are brighter than my CBI Xenons that i had in my 535. If anything they are about the same or has slightly less light output. Not a huge difference but or maybe the color of the light output is whats tricking my eyes. The color is very unique to LEDs and look nothing like my old setup. I will need to spend more time behind the wheel to really comment about their performance. Either way to me they are a must have on the LCI. They look AMAZING and really makes the front end look so much more aggressive when they are on.

When more 704 cars start to arrive I am going to go test drive one at my dealer just to see how it compares to my ACS'ed/m550d RSB car. As of right now I am extremely happy with the way the car rides and handles. My goal isn't to have the stiffest riding F10 because the roads here are just horrendous but I want something that has both comfort and good handling. Right now my car feels exactly as I would expect it to. Once my m550d 16mm sway bar shows up it should bring it one more notch closer to the sport side.

Alan

Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
My heart is set on the M4 as well. I do hope it has enough luxury features. I've been spoiled that last 5 years on extremely nice interiors and options.
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member