Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Are the automatic sunshade for the F10 auto up and down for the side windows as well? I know it is for the rear but i think the sides are manual which sucks. On the Grand Coupe both the sides and the rear automatically raised and lowered with a touch of a button.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
You are right about the shades; however, shades do not provide the same amount of IR rejection and UV protection. Also, with the shades, you have a layer that is affecting the visual acuity when looking out of the windows. The sun and headlights from behind won't bother you as much but your car will still get hot under the sun and the front side windows are completely unprotected agains UV and IR. On top of that, I have never had any shades in my BMWs and MBs that did not make annoying noises.
Zero annoying noises with my RL, I'll report back after I take delivery of my LCI 5 Series. Also, I'm in NJ so months of high heat is a non-issue here.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Also, with the shades, you have a layer that is affecting the visual acuity when looking out of the windows.
This seems to be especially true with the F10. When my rear side window shades are up, especially the driver's side, I feel like I can't see anything in my blind spots. I have almost no confidence that my blind spot is clear when I turn my head to look, so I end up having to constantly monitor using the rear view mirror and then lean forward a bit to be sure if I'm in a lot of traffic.

But the problem with the rear side window shades is that they are manual. It is a pain to always be raising them after parking and lowering them before driving away. Maybe if they were automatic like the 7 series they'd be more worth the price.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Jamie J.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Are the automatic sunshade for the F10 auto up and down for the side windows as well? I know it is for the rear but i think the sides are manual which sucks. On the Grand Coupe both the sides and the rear automatically raised and lowered with a touch of a button.

Alan
Rear is automatic in mine, but manual on the sides