Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MW/SO M3, X1 28i xDrive
xDrive Suspension Problem Solutions and Ideas Thread.

The softness and other handling issues with the xDrive cars are well documented. t335xi had the good idea to have this be its own thread to try and solve some of these issues.

This is what I know or think I know. There are currently no coil-over kits available for the xDrive cars. According to my SA and parts guy, Mperformance suspension is not available for xDrive cars. I have also contacted Modbargains, EAS and other vendors about this, but they have nothing available either. H&R is the only company I know that has released springs for xDrive cars. If I have any of this wrong or if anything changes please post it here.

I've switched out my stock rims and run flats with a set of squared 18" APEX EC-7 wheels and 245/40 PSS's. This helped the overall ride of the car for the better and it sticks very well during hard cornering, but obviously has not solved the other issues. I thought about putting in the H&R springs, but would rather wait for a coil over system to become available to do it all at once and save on labor. As the thread states, any ideas or new information would be appreciated.

Last edited by minn19; 09-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix

Sounds more like a shock issue than a spring issue.

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 335xdrive
I would love to hear some fix on the suspension. I went into to the dealer to DHP added to my 335xi but because was shipped yesterday over a month in advance i was not able to. I dont regret getting the xdrive because of the area in Germany i moved to. Lots of Steep twisty roads that will be a blast to drive in the summer but horrible in the winter. I did fail at my research on the xdrive i did not notice the xdrive did not have sport suspension when i added the sport mode shame on me. Still really looking forward to my car but i want to fix the suspension.
Side note they gave me a 2014 X1 xdrive fully loaded to drive while waiting on my car and well i hate it. Just not really fun to drive and i cant tell if they want it a car or SUV but my 2008jeep liberty fits my kids(car seats) better and well tbh is funner to drive. Not that i was ever thinking of getting an X1 to begin with but would def not do so after these 2 weeks in it.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Sounds more like a shock issue than a spring issue.

CA

That's the bummer, apparently none are available. I hate it when nobody wants to take my money.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Koni FSDs worked wonders on E93 with sport suspension.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Koni FSDs worked wonders on E93 with sport suspension.

CA

CA, would those or other shocks that say they work for 328i, 335i work on an xDrive? What would the reason be for them not to work on an xDrive. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have never bought and installed a whole new coil over system in any of my cars.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:59 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
CA, would those or other shocks that say they work for 328i, 335i work on an xDrive? What would the reason be for them not to work on an xDrive. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have never bought and installed a whole new coil over system in any of my cars.
No, usually the shocks/struts on the AWD versions of BMWs; especially the 3 series have different model/part #s compared to their RWD counterparts. I'd just wait till Koni comes up with something; preferably the adjustable yellows. You can't go wrong with a shock part that they've made for the past 20 years on all different types of cars. I know it's what I use on all my cars- Miata, MR2, ZHP. Can't go wrong with the Koni yellows aka Sports. Damn I sound like a sales man

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Koni comes up with something for both the AWD and RWD versions. If you check the previous 3 series models they have provided options for both and the newer Diesel options too.

As for a guide on what you can do now, only the H&R springs are available unfortunately.

Here's a link to Turner's RWD updates- http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-project_F30_335.aspx
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I don't know the answer to that question.

When i was first looking for FSDs I was told that they were not available for the E93. I asked if the ones for the E92 would work and was told they would not. When they finally became available i ordered them and found out that it was the same part number as the E 92.

Perhaps if enough people contact Koni they will realize there is demand.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
No, usually the shocks/struts on the AWD versions of BMWs; especially the 3 series have different model/part #s compared to their RWD counterparts. I'd just wait till Koni comes up with something; preferably the adjustable yellows. You can't go wrong with a shock part that they've made for the past 20 years on all different types of cars. I know it's what I use on all my cars- Miata, MR2, ZHP. Can't go wrong with the Koni yellows aka Sports. Damn I sound like a sales man

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Koni comes up with something for both the AWD and RWD versions. If you check the previous 3 series models they have provided options for both and the newer Diesel options too.

As for a guide on what you can do now, only the H&R springs are available unfortunately.

Here's a link to Turner's RWD updates- http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-project_F30_335.aspx
You don't sound like salesman, just enthusiastic about the brand. Its good to hear that they work so well across different brands. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
I don't know the answer to that question.

When i was first looking for FSDs I was told that they were not available for the E93. I asked if the ones for the E92 would work and was told they would not. When they finally became available i ordered them and found out that it was the same part number as the E 92.

Perhaps if enough people contact Koni they will realize there is demand.

CA

I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. Thanks CA.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 3 Series Wagon (F31)
The 328xi (both wagon and sedan) and the 328 have different ride height which is why the suspension parts are not interchangeable . The xi models have more road clearance for snow and moderate off road activity.
It would be nice if someone like Turner would attack this problem and determine what is the best solution ... shocks or springs or both?
BMW CCA #257
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Update err no update.

I talked to my SA and parts guy again about when/if the Mperformance suspension will be released for the xDrive cars. Got the same answer I got 4 months ago...it is coming, soon. Same answer as when the 328 PPK is coming out. I hate when companies don't want my money, that is annoying.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 15 335xi EB2, 14 F150
It's not coming. This is the email I got from my SA 2 months ago.

BMW told us, "There is no M performance suspension kit for all wheel drive F30's and likely never will be". They also confirmed that there is no ongoing R&D process to develop one and that they have many other products they've moved on to at this stage so I'm not expecting one to ever be released. M performance parts are now being developed at the same time as the car, whereas previously it was done after the production version of the car was already finalized. So that basically means if the parts aren't released 6-12 months after the car is available for sale they probably won't ever be made at that point.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM

I think the future will be adaptive suspensions that automatically adjust to changing road conditions and electronic power steering. I have experience with adaptive suspension in BMW, Cadillac and Jaguar. It is amazing technology and truly gives the best of both worlds. The overall firmness is cockpit adjustable but the suspension is constantly recalibrating to adjust for changing road conditions. The Cadillac (GM) system with magnetic shocks is amazingly effective.

Electronic power steering is still being developed and will probably soon rival hydraulic asist steering feel just as "Slushbox" ATs are reaching the performance levels of DCTs.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 3 Series Wagon (F31)
I emailed Turner Motorsport and asked if they had plans for a "suspension package" for the 328xi. As noted above H&R Springs are available now. The following is the answer ....

Yes, planning stages at the moment, but not available yet.
We update our online catalog every day. New items are posted as soon as the information hits our desks.
As soon as any information is available, we will post it the very same day.
BMW CCA #257
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
It's not coming. This is the email I got from my SA 2 months ago.

BMW told us, "There is no M performance suspension kit for all wheel drive F30's and likely never will be". They also confirmed that there is no ongoing R&D process to develop one and that they have many other products they've moved on to at this stage so I'm not expecting one to ever be released. M performance parts are now being developed at the same time as the car, whereas previously it was done after the production version of the car was already finalized. So that basically means if the parts aren't released 6-12 months after the car is available for sale they probably won't ever be made at that point.
That's nice, hate it when info seems to be all over the map between dealerships, SA's, parts and BMWNA. I am inclined to believe your SA as what I have been told by my SA and parts guys at my dealership seems to be incorrect up to now. According to my dealership the 328 PPK was supposed to be out in June/July. We know how that turned out.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs0712 View Post
I emailed Turner Motorsport and asked if they had plans for a "suspension package" for the 328xi. As noted above H&R Springs are available now. The following is the answer ....

Yes, planning stages at the moment, but not available yet.
We update our online catalog every day. New items are posted as soon as the information hits our desks.
As soon as any information is available, we will post it the very same day.
I just talked to Koni USA and the CS feller was less than helpful. Basically blew me off and said that they were not working on xDrive coilovers or any F30 set up for that matter. I also e-mails CKS and am awaiting their response.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
I ran into all of the same problems with availability of performance parts for my E60 xdrive. That's why I asked myself whether I really needed xdrive here in Virginia and decided no. For the few days where I do, I'll take public transit, bum rides from friends, work from home, or worse comes to worst, rent an SUV from someplace for a few days.

I realize it's a different equation in Minnesota though.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
BC Racing makes them now for the F30 XDrive. Only drawback i can see is that they are linear instead of progressive. Probably a rough ride. You can buy KW coilovers in europe for the F30 X drive and they are going to bring them over this fall. H&R I would think are right behind them. I have H&R on mine (mine is RWD) and like them a lot. If I was to do it over again I probably would spend the extra money and get the KW 2 where you can adjust the dampening as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
I ran into all of the same problems with availability of performance parts for my E60 xdrive. That's why I asked myself whether I really needed xdrive here in Virginia and decided no. For the few days where I do, I'll take public transit, bum rides from friends, work from home, or worse comes to worst, rent an SUV from someplace for a few days.

I realize it's a different equation in Minnesota though.
It's really not that bad here once you get used to it. I drive a non snow tired, rear wheel drive vehicle for work since my company is to cheap to provide us with snows and I make it work. It is hairy though on some of the bad snow/ice days. I wanted AWD for performance, convenience and safety as my wife and kid are in the car a lot also. Yes, I bought snow tires for it before the AWD is not that great without proper tire Sheriff's show up here.

I am surprised that two + years in to the new model that nobody would have coilovers available. Or apparently even be working on them. I guess there might not be a market for them to spend the R&D cash for the companies to make it worth their while.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
BC Racing makes them now for the F30 XDrive. Only drawback i can see is that they are linear instead of progressive. Probably a rough ride. You can buy KW coilovers in europe for the F30 X drive and they are going to bring them over this fall. H&R I would think are right behind them. I have H&R on mine (mine is RWD) and like them a lot. If I was to do it over again I probably would spend the extra money and get the KW 2 where you can adjust the dampening as well.
Very cool, thanks for the info Dippydo. I would like something like the KW2 as well for the adjustment feature.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM

CKS response.

Just got an e-mail back from CKS. They said there xDrive coilovers will be released by the end of November or beginning of December. Gives me something to look forward to doing this winter and next spring .