Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Exclamation Should I clean filters OR replace? And does the aftermarket parts void my warranty?

I purchased my 2008 335i used. Whoever owned it before me replaced the factory air intake (? I'm a girl so am just assuming thats what it is...) with an aftermarket one. I have no idea what brand it is, ect... I included a picture in this post.

A mechanic told me that it could be causing my 'check engine light' to come on because the filters are dirty and told me I should clean or replace them. He said if that doesn't work then I need to take it to the dealership and have them check the cat converters.

WHICH SHOULD I DO?
~ If I should clean them, how do I clean them?
~ If I should replace them, what's the best kind to replace them with?

ALSO, will this alteration void my warranty for the cat converters if they need to be replaced?

Any help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130911_190543.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	396433  
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
If it's in your budget, I'd just go ahead and replace. Start as much as you can knowing it's new and not the issue. For it to void the warranty the dealer would need to show the altered part caused the issue. After market airfilter messing with the cats? I guess it could happen if everything went just wrong, but I doubt it. That isn't to say a dealer may not try to blame it on that and try to deny coverage. Is you car still under warranty? 4 years 50k or CPO or extended? Welcome to the 'Fest and enjoy your BMW, it is an awsome car. N4S

Last edited by need4speed; 09-12-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Did the mechanic read the codes? If so what were they? If not find a new mechanic.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by smk23 View Post
WHICH SHOULD I DO?
~ If I should clean them, how do I clean them?
~ If I should replace them, what's the best kind to replace them with?

ALSO, will this alteration void my warranty for the cat converters if they need to be replaced?

BMW warranty is invalid for any issue resulting from a 3rd party mod.

Did you buy from a private party? Ask for the stock intake - might still have it. Replace w/same.

The type of intake you have is mainly for an ego boost - they sound better than they are. Not to say they're bad, but they do little good the stock intake isn't already doing. Except: stock intake is silent. I like silence. Don't you like silence?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Did you buy from a private party? Ask for the stock intake - might still have it. Replace w/same.

The type of intake you have is mainly for an ego boost - they sound better than they are. Not to say they're bad, but they do little good the stock intake isn't already doing. Except: stock intake is silent. I like silence. Don't you like silence?
+1, in addition, they don't filter like paper.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Thanks! I had the codes read when the check engine light came on and by the mechanic.

First read outs were P0420- Cat Bank 1 and P0430- Cat Bank 2.

I'm not sure what exact code the mechanic pulled but it had to do with fuel system. The check engine light would go on and off, but when it came on my car would run weird. Not as smooth as when it was off,,, bogged down,,, shifted rough... Nasty black stuff in exhaust pipes.

Ran bmw fuel cleaner - 3 consecutive fill ups about 2 weeks ago which was what bmw recommended to my mechanic. He said if it continued to come on them I needed to clean/change the air intake and/or take it to the dealership to have the cat converters looked at. Cat converters are under warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles. My car has 64,000 miles so I'm still under warranty.

I had no problems until 2 days ago when the light came back on. Car seems to be running great but that light is driving me nuts!!! (OCD, lol)

I would prefer to replace the filters with original but I have no idea what to do. Husband recommended changing them with aftermarket first to see IF that's what the problem is first, and then spend the money to have factory put back in. BUT, I do like the sound!!! VROOM~VROOM!!!

Does anyone have any idea how to clean them?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:00 AM
It stings the nostrils!

Mein Auto: LRP Edition M3 and 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
+1, in addition, they don't filter like paper.
I agree with the above. I would go back to the stock setup if you can. In addition to being dirty, I would guess that set up actually hurts performance. Ideally you want cool air flowing into the intake. With that setup, there is no heat shielding and the filters are directly exposed in the engine compartment, sucking up all the hot air made by the engine. The stock setup utilizes an air filter housing that helps shield the intake from the hot air flowing in the engine compartment. I know that is not the most technical explaination but you get the idea.

Point is I'd go back to stock or a setup that is most similar to stock.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM

THANKS! Where is a good place to order the stock parts from? Local BMW Dealership or online???
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I had the codes read when the check engine light came on and by the mechanic.

First read outs were P0420- Cat Bank 1 and P0430- Cat Bank 2.

I'm not sure what exact code the mechanic pulled but it had to do with fuel system. The check engine light would go on and off, but when it came on my car would run weird. Not as smooth as when it was off,,, bogged down,,, shifted rough... Nasty black stuff in exhaust pipes.

Ran bmw fuel cleaner - 3 consecutive fill ups about 2 weeks ago which was what bmw recommended to my mechanic. He said if it continued to come on them I needed to clean/change the air intake and/or take it to the dealership to have the cat converters looked at. Cat converters are under warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles. My car has 64,000 miles so I'm still under warranty.

I had no problems until 2 days ago when the light came back on. Car seems to be running great but that light is driving me nuts!!! (OCD, lol)

I would prefer to replace the filters with original but I have no idea what to do. Husband recommended changing them with aftermarket first to see IF that's what the problem is first, and then spend the money to have factory put back in. BUT, I do like the sound!!! VROOM~VROOM!!!

Does anyone have any idea how to clean them?
I'd follow your husbands advice. If the filters aren't too expensive I would replace them first before switching back to the stock setup. They do look dirty in the picture (as best I can see). I wouldn't recommend trying to clean them. Better to just replace.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM
It stings the nostrils!

Mein Auto: LRP Edition M3 and 328i
The stock setup looks pricey. You can find the part numbers in the link then check online for them. I use getbmwparts.com. Their prices are pretty good.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...80&hg=13&fg=20

You could try to replace the existing filters as well as Sunny suggests. I wouldn't bother to try cleaning them.

If it were me I'd go back to stock or go with something aftermarket like AFE with a box. Just me though.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Bad Lieutenant

If you are going to clean them, be VERY careful how much and how even you apply the oil. With cone filters, this can be more difficult than panel filters. Oil can and WILL sling off onto your intake and the MAF.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
What year is the car how many miles?

What year is the car how many miles?
You might need a Intake Valve Cleaning.
Fuel cleaner will do nothing for the Intake in a 335 as the fuel doesn't get to it.
Look up the threads on Walnut Blast cleaning of the intake valves.

O you said 64k I didn't catch that.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-12-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
with dual cone intakes, i suspect your car was tuned and may have had the cats removed or gutted. does the exhaust smell particularly bad, like unburned gas?

the cat inefficiency codes, soot, etc make me think there are cat simulators in the ecu box.

before you go further, i would have the car checked to make sure you are not missing your cats. if they are, and the car was sold like that, i am pretty sure you can unwind the deal and get rid of the car. its going to cost $$ to have the car repaired if the cats need to be replaced.

you do NOT want to go through the hassle of sorting out a car that was modded like this. you will not pass inspection and its technically illegal to operate a car without emissions equipment on public roads.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 09-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I agree that this looks like a modded car and the down pipes may have been replaced and the cats either reinstalled or gutted. A hard look would help. You mentioned you didn't get codes until recently? That suggests the car has cats but might be plugged.
If this was my car and I planned to take it to the dealer I would sure as heck put a stock intake system back on it.
Where you say?
Just look at the classified section here or over in the e90 forum or especially the bimmerboost forum where members regularly dump their intake system to go with cones like you have.
Also those cone filters don't look dirty at all from what I can see but that is beside the point.
You want BMW to work with you not against you and coming in with cone filters and not buying it from them is a sure way to loose out on some help.
Plugged converters can certainly come from running way too rich or lean and tuning will do that.

I too wonder about the intake valves but usually that causes a driveability issue not cat efficiency to be effected.

I do think you could get a stock intake set up for a modest amount of money and actually you could get cat down pipes too for a reasonable price from of of the members of the forums I mentioned that have no interest in every going back to stock.

Please post what solution you come up with.

Lastly cone filters being dirty will not cause the codes your mechanic read. I strongly suggest you deal with someone that knows what a 335 is and knows BMWs well...
Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 AM

[B]Thanks everyone!

I had codes read again yesterday and P0420 was the only one that came up. From what I understand, that code can mean multiple things. O2 sen, cats, seals, ect... WAY over my head!

My plan is to go back with the stock setup. I have an extended warranty (not through BMW) but I want to get all of this lined out before I take it to the dealership.

I could choke my car salesman!!! I've only had the car for a month!!!! [B]
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
[I could choke my car salesman!!! I've only had the car for a month!!!! [B]
Go look for the cats to make sure they have not been removed. If they have, the fact that you had a salesman implies a dealer, and you've got the big stick in this argument if they sold you a car whose cats had been removed.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Ok. I know this is going to be a eye rolling question but WHERE DO I LOOK? I'm a girl but I am capable with a little direction...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Go look for the cats to make sure they have not been removed. If they have, the fact that you had a salesman implies a dealer, and you've got the big stick in this argument if they sold you a car whose cats had been removed.
Big +1. My guess is if you can show that they sold you a car w/o cats, they will work very hard for you to go away happy and forget it ever happened. N4S
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Y'know smk23, if you were sold a car w/o cat converters, a number of federal laws with criminal penalties were transgressed.

Big problem! Contact an attorney if true - betting you'll have a zero cost new car before it's over, as an agreement to sweep it under the rug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up - Borat.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	396584
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Surprising Texas doesn't require smog checks before selling a vehicle, but if so, it should be easy to check your paperwork to see if it was completed.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Ok. I know this is going to be a eye rolling question but WHERE DO I LOOK? I'm a girl but I am capable with a little direction...
Down under the car, hidden behind the panels. Items 1 & 2 in this drawing: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...82&hg=18&fg=10

You're likely going to have to get the car up on a lift. If you can get the mechanic in your first post to take a peek, that's likely the easiest way.

Now, if the cats are there, then the BMW dealer should be able to help, especially if he thinks he'll be developing a service relationship with you ("I bought it elsewhere, but I've heard it's best to get the work done here.").

If the cats are not there, you have a firm grasp on the sensitive parts of the dealer who sold you the car.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Was this car purchased from a dealer or private party?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
The OP originally had P0420 and P0430 codes, meaning that both cat systems were being diagnosed by their rear O2 sensors as inefficient. Code P0430 has returned after clearing, I am confident that P0420 will also return. For purposes of discussion let's assume it will. It is unlikely, though possible, that both after-cat O2 sensors have simultaneously failed so I wouldn't change them at this point. There are other possible causes of those codes such as leaking intakes, and leaking exhaust systems. Unfortunately, given the mod already found on the car and the very sooty exhaust tips, it is most likely that the cats are burned out.
The OP is not going to be able to do a proper diagnosis on the car, she needs to take it to a tech who can read not only the generic EPA-OBD codes (such as P0420) but also the BMW specific codes which will help isolate the cause(s) of the problem. Keep in mind that burned out cats are NOT the problem, they are the symptom of a problem. If the problem is not isolated and repaired then new cats will soon be in the same condition as the old.
I don't know the law in TX. I don't know if knowingly selling a used car which will fail the federal emissions test is grounds for voiding the sale. The OP will need an attorney for that.
IMHO removing the factory air cleaners and putting these inefficient air cleaners on in Texas dust to make it faster, makes as much sense as removing the paint from your car to make it lighter in New England winter salt.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM

I purchased it from a dealership in Houston, TX.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Thanks SO much for all the advice! Sorry for the late reply but I was out of state for the weekend.

I have ordered the original intake for the car (changing it back regardless so I don't risk voiding warranties from here on out...) and am taking it in to get everything checked out. The exhaust doesn't smell bad or anything and isn't putting out black smoke so I'm hopeful/praying that the cats were not removed.

The check engine light went of yesterday after I filled my car up?!?!?!?
The original mechanic that I took it to in Houston hooked it up to a reader/monitor that pulled up the real codes (the P0420 was pulled by local mechanic) and some kind of numbers related to how the car was running. The first time I went in the check engine light had gone off so he couldn't read any codes and said the numbers were where they should be on his monitor thing.
I went back when the check engine light came on again that evening and he was able to pull the actual codes. Whatever they were indicated something with the fuel system. He said it probably had bad gas put in it by previous owners at some point and said to try BMW fuel cleaner but called to confirm that with BMW to be sure and they said the same. I ran 3 tanks of the fuel system cleaner and the car hasn't bogged down since (even when check engine light comes on) and it's running GREAT!

So... I'm wondering if the cats/intake/sensors have nothing to do with it and if the light is going to come back on when my tank is low...??...