Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Article about BMW Drivers

After I bought my first BMW, and the first one to show up in my company's parking lot, one of my good natured co-workers forwarded me this article from the Wall Street Journal:

BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Good thing mine isn't blue!
Ads by Google
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
After I bought my first BMW, and the first one to show up in my company's parking lot, one of my good natured co-workers forwarded me this article from the Wall Street Journal:

BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Good thing mine isn't blue!
That hasn't been my experience. Before my wife retired from Target I would often meet her for lunch at Food Avenue and the ones rolling through the store crosswalk (and stop sign) from the parking lot making pedestrians stop were not BMW's. And the store is in a high end area with lots of them around.

My experiences on the highway are that most of the time people driving newer, high end, cars seem to go with the flow and tend to keep their distance. And this does not just apply to BMW's.

The other theory I have is that BMW's are highly recognizable. My wife doesn't know a Ford from a Kia but she can easily spot a BMW either from their distinctive grill or their always present and easy to see rear roundel. I think BMW's get a bad rap partly because people know what they are.

If I were to make a blanket statement on the subject..... I would say the most discourteous drivers tend to be younger people driving relatively inexpensive cars.

The most courteous drivers are the ones that drive nice cars (regardless of make) that didn't come easily for them.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have seen a trend toward lower end (3 series) used (probably) BMWs by the same crowd that used to scream around in slammed Integra's and Civic's with the "big can" on the tail pipe. Now its Bimmers and they are up to their old tricks! Around here anyway you find more high end iron at the Santana Row and Stanford Shopping centers than Target -- and given the plethora of security, and congestion, at both those high end places along with the ladies racing into Nordies or Nieman's the only discourteous driving I see is stealing parking spaces from one another. Or 911 and Maser drivers straddling the line and taking two parking spaces to keep door dings away.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM

I also have been thinking about this, I'm and engineer so I like to analyze everything. The first things that need to be kept in mind is who did this study and were all variables considered, e.g., what percentage of cars through the study were BMW's, did the neighborhood the study was done in influence the outcome, were there extenuating circumstances for the BMW drivers, etc.................???? Concerning stopping at stop signs, in my neighborhood which is an upper middle class one directly west of Chicago I would estimate 75% of the drivers never come to a full stop at a stop sign. The most popular cars in my suburb are probably Acuras, Toyotas and Honda Odyssey minivans and the drivers of that don't stop the most appear to be both women and men 30-45 yrs old.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I have seen a trend toward lower end (3 series) used (probably) BMWs by the same crowd that used to scream around in slammed Integra's and Civic's with the "big can" on the tail pipe. Now its Bimmers and they are up to their old tricks! Around here anyway you find more high end iron at the Santana Row and Stanford Shopping centers than Target -- and given the plethora of security, and congestion, at both those high end places along with the ladies racing into Nordies or Nieman's the only discourteous driving I see is stealing parking spaces from one another. Or 911 and Maser drivers straddling the line and taking two parking spaces to keep door dings away.
The Target store is at an upscale Town Center in Jacksonville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johns_Town_Center
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM
BMW to the bone

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Do you know what the difference is between porcupines and Lexus cars ? The porcupines have the pricks on the outside.

Great Joke, I heard it for BMWs though, but truth is, it applies to Audi and Lexus a bit more.

Seriously now,

The reason "other" drivers think that BMW owners are jerks is because BMW drivers are better drivers and want to make progress when on the road. That is why we are more aggressive and we seem like jerks to "others". We are just NOT LOSERS that drive like retarded idiots blocking the whole world from getting home an hour earlier. No offence to disabled people.

Last edited by sjladopoulos; 09-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
The reason "other" drivers think that BMW owners are jerks is because BMW drivers are better drivers and want to make progress when on the road. That is why we are more aggressive and we seem like jerks to "others". We are just NOT LOSERS that drive like retarded idiots blocking the whole world from getting home an hour earlier. No offence to disabled people.
I was thinking the exact same thing myself. Having a car that was built to be driven, better brakes, better handling, good acceleration, great suspension, ...., allows BMW drivers to drive their cars harder, quicker and faster than others. A BMW needs to be driven!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
A BMW needs to be driven .... Yes it does, but then again so does a Porsche, 'vette, SRT8,Shelby, Jag or many other cars. The problem is "the way" its driven. Are you cutting in and out of traffic, blowing by cars in heavy traffic doing the speed limit, cutting off other drivers, playing "road racer", and generally making a nuisance of yourself on the congested public roadway? If so, then you are a jerk no matter how good your BMW is IMHO. No offense to disabled people.
USARET-my comment about high end stores was qualified by "around here". I am sure that in your area Target is in a fine neighborhood. Here, the Targets/Wal-Marts are not located in the very high end shopping centers, but rather in the larger "big box" areas with tons of parking spaces.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
A BMW needs to be driven .... Yes it does, but then again so does a Porsche, 'vette, SRT8,Shelby, Jag or many other cars. The problem is "the way" its driven. Are you cutting in and out of traffic, blowing by cars in heavy traffic doing the speed limit, cutting off other drivers, playing "road racer", and generally making a nuisance of yourself on the congested public roadway? If so, then you are a jerk no matter how good your BMW is IMHO. No offense to disabled people.
USARET-my comment about high end stores was qualified by "around here". I am sure that in your area Target is in a fine neighborhood. Here, the Targets/Wal-Marts are not located in the very high end shopping centers, but rather in the larger "big box" areas with tons of parking spaces.
That Target isn't in my neighborhood any more. When Target was in their big boom of opening new stores in this area my wife helped open one up, do the mass hire, get it running and then moved on to the next. During that time we rented our house and "followed the stores" by renting apartments nearby. That was the second to the last store she helped open before she retired.

The Target we frequent now is in a nice area but certainly not festooned with Bentley's, Range Rovers, S class MB, Jags, the occasional Maserati and BMW's like the Town Center.

We do not shop at Walmart unless we're looking for some single item that is best found there. Then it's in and out as soon as possible.

We live in a very rural area of Florida and the local Walmart filters out all the typical folks you see on the "People of Walmart" website out before they can get to Target. We pay a little more but it's well worth it. Plus I can sit and dawdle over a cup of coffee in their Starbucks while my wife clothes shops.

Last edited by usaret; 09-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I'm pretty sure all the cocks have moved to Audis thesedays. I haven't had many BMWs tailgate me in a long while (admittedly, I am usually the fastest vehicle on rural stretches of road).
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
BMW to the bone

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
A BMW needs to be driven .... Yes it does, but then again so does a Porsche, 'vette, SRT8,Shelby, Jag or many other cars. .
Yes, but BMWs are more popular, thus stand out.

Quote:
The problem is "the way" its driven. Are you cutting in and out of traffic, blowing by cars in heavy traffic doing the speed limit, cutting off other drivers, playing "road racer", and generally making a nuisance of yourself on the congested public roadway? If so, then you are a jerk no matter how good your BMW is IMHO. No offense to disabled people.
I find that a lot of people get offended when I pull-in in front of them even though I don't cut them off at all. There is space and I take it to move on. Some drivers feel entitled to the 100 ft of road in front of them and any car wanting to get in there is not allowed. In Toronto, the syndrome is so common now that I have stopped flickin my turn indicators so people don't get a change to accelerate and block me out. IDIOTS 101

And I am a very polite driver, if I see a blinker towards my lane, I always let them in, I don't own the road and by helping each other, we all move faster.

So really it depends on the perspective. Some get annoyed by others just driving better.

Last edited by sjladopoulos; 09-16-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
People associate BMW with luxury cars & money & conspicuous wealth and usually therefore resent the BMW driver.

People with money usually have to be more aggressive towards strangers in their daily lives to get it and keep it.

People with money make good long term strategic capital decisions, such as buying reliable cars with good resale values.

People who choose BMW over other luxury brands often do so to feel more in touch with the road, rather than living on the moon wafting about in a Lexus cloud and therefore more likely to take a sneaky opportunity on the road.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
Yes, but BMWs are more popular, thus stand out.

I find that a lot of people get offended when I pull-in in front of them even though I don't cut them off at all. There is space and I take it to move on. Some drivers feel entitled to the 100 ft of road in front of them and any car wanting to get in there is not allowed. In Toronto, the syndrome is so common now that I have stopped flickin my turn indicators so people don't get a change to accelerate and block me out. IDIOTS 101

And I am a very polite driver, if I see a blinker towards my lane, I always let them in, I don't own the road and by helping each other, we all move faster.

So really it depends on the perspective. Some get annoyed by others just driving better.
One of my biggest pet peeves...... I have taken to signalling and moving all at the same time. I couldn't agree more....

Last edited by usaret; 09-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.