Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
jere jere is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci; 2011 535i
Steering Wheel Position

Our new F10 appears to have new design philosophy for steering wheel position timing. Our E60 would position the steering wheel for the driver when the key fob was clicked for "Open". Our present F10 positions the steering wheel when the driver pushes "Start". This is a particular problem for my wife, who is short, after I, who am tall, have driven the car and have left the wheel positioned almost all the way out. The seat moves forward when she clicks "Open" on her key, but the wheel stays out until she presses the "Start " button. She can hardly get between the wheel and the seat to get in the car. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or know of a fix?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM
fjacobs1000's Avatar
fjacobs1000 fjacobs1000 is offline
Let's drive!
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 606
Mein Auto: '14 LCI 550i xDrive Msprt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
Our new F10 appears to have new design philosophy for steering wheel position timing. Our E60 would position the steering wheel for the driver when the key fob was clicked for "Open". Our present F10 positions the steering wheel when the driver pushes "Start". This is a particular problem for my wife, who is short, after I, who am tall, have driven the car and have left the wheel positioned almost all the way out. The seat moves forward when she clicks "Open" on her key, but the wheel stays out until she presses the "Start " button. She can hardly get between the wheel and the seat to get in the car. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or know of a fix?
my first thought was - "your wife drives your car?"

ůmine does too, and it makes me nervous. she does damage

sorry if i offend

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 AM
jere jere is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci; 2011 535i
Smile Steering Wheel Position

Actually the F10 535i is my wife's car, stick shift and all. She loves the 5 series, this is her second one. To head off further stereotype conclusions, we both are definitely senior citizens. BMW lovers come is all forms. No offense taken.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,703
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
You can turn off the auto seat position when you unlock the car I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
jere jere is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci; 2011 535i
Steering Wheel Position

X-Men, you may be right, but then she couldn't reach the clutch pedal to start the car. Or, if she had to manually punch some buttons to get the seat and wheel into position what is the point of the memory settings. The real question is why did BMW change the timing for the wheel repositioning when the F10 came out. Or maybe there is a fault in the software program. Anyone know if there is a fix available?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Gilgorm Gilgorm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 357
Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
OP, your description is correct.
Have you tried moving the wheel before you get out of the car. My fob is set to lift the wheel to its highest point after I turn off the car. It remains in that position for when the second fob moves the seat. I do not have the second fob set to move the wheel to the high position as it isn't needed.
__________________
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,703
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
X-Men, you may be right, but then she couldn't reach the clutch pedal to start the car. Or, if she had to manually punch some buttons to get the seat and wheel into position what is the point of the memory settings. The real question is why did BMW change the timing for the wheel repositioning when the F10 came out. Or maybe there is a fault in the software program. Anyone know if there is a fix available?
I think the wheel remain in its highest position for easy entry. What BMW should have done is program the wheel to its highest position as well retract the wheel all the way in after the car is shut off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM
douggie douggie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SG
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 196
Mein Auto: 5
Seating positions are definitely personal choices, but I suggest that you might want to drive with the steering wheel a little more retracted. This will give you more space between your upper body and the steering wheel. This reduces the chances of the air bag hitting your face when it goes off.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,214
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
OP, your description is correct.
Have you tried moving the wheel before you get out of the car. My fob is set to lift the wheel to its highest point after I turn off the car. It remains in that position for when the second fob moves the seat. I do not have the second fob set to move the wheel to the high position as it isn't needed.
I have a 2011 535i. I didn't think there was any choice other than the wheel moving all the way up when you shut down the car. I don't think it's a fob setting.

I don't have the exact issue, but here's what I do. Many mornings, I have to jockey my and my wife's car around because mine is in the (1 car) garage, and hers is in the driveway. I don't like having to move the wheel up while the engine is running, when I jump out during this procedure. When I park in the evening, I do 1 of two different things. If I move the wheel up most of the way before I shut down the car, that is the "new" position it moves to when I start up in the morning. When I'm done moving the cars around, I just press (and hold) my memory 1 position button to move the wheel into my final preset position. The other way to accomplish this is to move the wheel just slightly down after I shut down, and the wheel has already moved all the way up. The wheel stays in this position after I restart.

So, OP, to overcome this issue, just push the wheel backward after it moves up when you shut down. This will pre-position it further from the seat as it moves forward. Your wife may then have to press her memory button for the wheel to go to the final, correct position.

One note: My wife doesn't drive my car, so I only use my fob. I don't have the seat set to automatically move when unlocking the car. Even so, my steering wheel operates as you describe.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms