Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
F10 Slow Wipers - Could Have an Accident

Really disappointed with my $70K car that has a very poor wipers!!!!! Even my Previous Camry and Maxima had a better wipers with very high speed setting when needed.

I was driving in NJ today, its my first time driving the 535 in a heavy rain and really disappointed as the wipers seemed very slow to a level that I had to reduced the speed to 20 MPH with flashers on the whole time and eventually had to stop as it was really impossible to see anything! I tried all settings after checking the manual but it didn't work either!!! The funny thing is even on manual mode its not really manual and not so fast and when I slowed down to be able to see the road the wipers slowed down too!!! Had to switch back to the Auto mode as it was faster than the manual mode!!! I believe no mater how complicated a car is there should be a way for the driver to override all these systems and simply chose the fastest speed by moving the lever to Max!! I had an option on my Maxima to disable the speed sensing function.

Anyway, even when driving in highway and turning it on on highest manual setting its not fast enough like other cars!! really dangerously slow. Its the slowest I ever had, even my friend's Honda Civic is faster!!

Is that the Germans engineering!!! Is that the ultimate driving machine!!! Not sure who the germans drive this car in Germany!! Maybe they have different specs, coding,..etc

Pls nobody tell me go and code it, this is bs and might void my warranty ! A car at this class should have adequate wipers!!! First time I own a BMW and really surprised!!!

Please check the attached Video, comparing it to my 2012 ML 350

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade

Last edited by ahmadddd; 09-13-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 AM
YodaSyrup

Mein Auto: F10 535i, X164 GL450
Dude, just get it coded!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

2011 535i Sport 6MT
Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
Dude, just get it coded!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Does the coding increase the wipers max speed on heavy rain?

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade

Last edited by ahmadddd; 09-13-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
Re: F10 Slow Wipers - Could Have an Accident

I will be interested in it as well. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i

Ill be interested to know if it can be coded as well. I had the same exact issue when I first got my 2011 550i and it started raining I couldn't see anything and thought the same thing as you, I even complained to BMW The wipers where too slow. However I added rainx windshield wiper fluid and it made a world of a difference now when it rains I see fine and the wipers seem to do there job.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberivs View Post
Ill be interested to know if it can be coded as well. I had the same exact issue when I first got my 2011 550i and it started raining I couldn't see anything and thought the same thing as you, I even complained to BMW The wipers where too slow. However I added rainx windshield wiper fluid and it made a world of a difference now when it rains I see fine and the wipers seem to do there job.

Your model was the first, however still cant imagine how BMW kept those wipers for 3 years without getting any feedback from customers.

My video above shows clearly the difference between my 535 and MB. Also all previous cars like Camry and Maxima, and Honda Civic pool had a very fas and efficient wipers.

I just got an update from Octopump (He does coding in the Tri state area) that the rain sensing sensitivity is for increasing the sensitivity for light rain and will not increase the max speed of the wipers.

He believes that this is a hardware limitation (the Wipers Motor is low Power).

I though there might be a parameter to increase the max speed

Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
i think its pretty fast when you manually control it, instead of opting for the automatic mode.

*anti clock wise on the wiper lever IIRC
Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
i think its pretty fast when you manually control it, instead of opting for the automatic mode.

*anti clock wise on the wiper lever IIRC
Please check my video above this is the fastest, when I am idling its not fast and when I drive it gets little faster but dont come close to any other car.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I just drove thru the same storm as the OP last night in Boston, I cannot say I had any problem with slow wipers.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
My wipers seem faster than yours but only slightly. The manual high speed is faster than the auto setting. I also highly recommend RainX and love the stuff.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I looked at your video and it looks to me like the wipers are in normal vice high speed. So I went to the garage and tried mine. In fast speed, mine do 156 strokes per minute, or approx twice yours in the video. Here's the manual's instructions:

***9655; Normal wiping speed: press up once.
The wipers switch to intermittent operation
when the vehicle is stationary.
***9655; Fast wiping speed: press up twice or press
once beyond the resistance point.
The wipers switch to normal speed when the
vehicle is stationary

Mine operate exactly as above. Also, the wipers will go into high speed in the intermittent mode. If yours wont go into high in either mode, then something is askew.

Cheers
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX

Drove through downpours, never had an issue seeing although they were slower than most.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I had two previous 3-series prior to my 2011 535i. I noticed right away that the high-speed setting of the wipers was noticeably slower than the previous models. In the 3 years I've owned it, high speed seems to do the job. I can't for the life of me understand why they made it much slower. I do remember people noting you could feel the vibration of the high speed wipers in the other cars through the brake pedal. I wonder if they actually slowed them down to prevent this -- that seems like a very odd response though.

As far as manual control, you simply push the stalk up twice for high speed. Now, when you stop, they do go to low speed until you start up again. Also, if you're in low speed manual when you stop, they go to intermittent mode. Auto rainsense mode will move between intermittent, continuous low and continuous high as deemed necessary. I do sometimes take manual control of the wipers because I don't particularly like them changing between low and high continuous speeds during heavier rains.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I had two previous 3-series prior to my 2011 535i. I noticed right away that the high-speed setting of the wipers was noticeably slower than the previous models. In the 3 years I've owned it, high speed seems to do the job. I can't for the life of me understand why they made it much slower. I do remember people noting you could feel the vibration of the high speed wipers in the other cars through the brake pedal. I wonder if they actually slowed them down to prevent this -- that seems like a very odd response though.

As far as manual control, you simply push the stalk up twice for high speed. Now, when you stop, they do go to low speed until you start up again. Also, if you're in low speed manual when you stop, they go to intermittent mode. Auto rainsense mode will move between intermittent, continuous low and continuous high as deemed necessary. I do sometimes take manual control of the wipers because I don't particularly like them changing between low and high continuous speeds during heavier rains.
Yes, I hear you. not only that they had to provide a mode where the drive can override all settings and get max speed. Even on manual max speed as you mentioned when I stop it switch to slow mode!!! We had a heavy rain two days ago (It was pouring), it was impossible to see anything while stopping at the traffic signal so I had to switch it to Auto were the sensor took over and switched the wipers back to max which still slow compared to any other car I ever owned. I think even when you stop you still need to see the road before you move again, right? So I am really not sure why there is no full manual mode like MB and other cars.

Never seen a car with both Auto rain sensing and speed sensitive manual mode at the same time!! Usually car manufacturers add the speed sensing option on cars that do not have Auto Rain sensor.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad99 View Post
I looked at your video and it looks to me like the wipers are in normal vice high speed. So I went to the garage and tried mine. In fast speed, mine do 156 strokes per minute, or approx twice yours in the video. Here's the manual's instructions:

***9655; Normal wiping speed: press up once.
The wipers switch to intermittent operation
when the vehicle is stationary.
***9655; Fast wiping speed: press up twice or press
once beyond the resistance point.
The wipers switch to normal speed when the
vehicle is stationary

Mine operate exactly as above. Also, the wipers will go into high speed in the intermittent mode. If yours wont go into high in either mode, then something is askew.

Cheers
If you see the video it was ver slow, but when I moved the car it switched to the fast mode which is not really fast. I pushed the lever beyond the resistance point and did that twice.