BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335 hard top seal replacement ( or ripoff)

19K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  hondo402000 
#1 ·
I started a new thread so it would get read

called BMW Service center, asked what it would cost to replace the Center roof section seal.

Service guy says about 7-10 hours at 125.00 per hour.

so lets go with the min of 7 hours, 825.00 to replace a SEAL? and the seal is 525 bucks for some reason he said they have to take the whole top off to do it, now the question who else thinks this is un reasonable as hell..
so if all the top seals were replaced that would be 2200.00

looks like these cars will not be around as collector items when they have to start being repaired,

#2 ·
Based upon some of the information I picked up when we visited the factory in Regensburg where the E93s are built, that price and the time involved doesn't surprise me a whole lot. There are special jigs that are used to set the tolerances of the top parts and the tolerances for the top are in the tenths of millimeters.

Why do you need to replace the seal?

#4 ·
they said nothing about setting the top clearances, just replace the seal but I think I will go to the dealer and talk directly to the person thats putting the seal on to get clarification on exactly what they have to do to replace it, and then decide if I can live a few drips when it rains

#7 ·
The statement that they have to take the whole top off would scare the hell out of me, maybe they mean just that panel section, otherwise I would be afraid of more leaks if they have to remove the entire top!

#8 ·
Bingo! That's why I asked where the leak is.

There was a discussion about shoring up the rubber seals a few years back. IIRC, Ragzimmer had a good solution for fixing a small leak in the front rubber seal.

#11 ·
My experience with seals. Bought the car used so not sure if previous 2 owners properly maintained the seals or not. I had my rear seals replaced recently under warranty and they had the car for 7 days. Some how they were torn on both sides of the rear. They replaced the seals and used rubber butyl as well to ensure no leaks. Every time they made an adjustment, they waited a day to test the following day. A few weeks prior I had the driver side fixed, they added rubber butyl to make the seal better, that one only took a few hours.

Car is now no longer under warranty so hopefully no more leaks as long as I own the car. I will continue to do the seal maintenance in hopes i can prevent them from going bad this time.

#13 ·
I guess I have to do the seal maintenance soon. I have had it about a year now, so it is probably time. It isn't a daily driver and has only seen rain once (on a trip to Houston) and I plan to keep it that way if I can. Three more years of warranty so I will have to test for leaks periodically. Thanks for the reminder.....

#14 ·
the leak is occurring on the passenger side, where the center section meet the rear section, approximate where the passenger front and passenger rear windows meet. its not seen in Kats photos but if you have a convertible, raise the top and stop it in mid stream, and look at your center section, follow the rain gutter metal trim back and look where it turns into rubber, there is a metal sub structure and mine has worn thru. the metal showing is about the size of a 1/8 inch. Maybe I will just keep gobing krytox in that area as a water dam

but no way at this point am I spending 1200 bucks to replace it, I got the money just tired of wasting it on an inanimate objects

#15 ·
I wonder if using a piece of backer rod to fill in behind the wear spot might do the trick?

Can you post a pic?

#19 ·
Agreed.

That horizontal split looks like it could be repaired in a number of ways, with a lot less angst than doing a seal replacement.

THERE IS NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH I WOULD ALLOW A DEALER TO DISASSEMBLE THE TOP!!!!!
Amen!!

Just having the front latch on the cowl replaced worried me that the alignment wouldn't be right.

Something tells me that if I were in driving distance of the delivery center in Spartanburg, I'd much rather have them take a look at a top issue than have a local dealership futz with it.

#18 ·
Several years ago a 'fester had a problem with his top that BMW ATTEMPTED to rectify by replacing the entire top. They ended up buying back his car, because the dealership could not successfully get the new top aligned correctly to accomplish the installation. THE IS NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH I WOULD ALLOW A DEALER TO DISASSEMBLE THE TOP!!!!!

#20 ·
I only skimmed the first few posts but if you issue is not major, skip the replacement.

Convertible tops are pain to service. Getting the panels lined up properly is such a headache. It will never be the same once it's reassembled. If you're ever in an accident with a vert, push for the car to be totaled...

I've wrapped a few headliners in suede for E9xs and just placing the sunroof back correctly is a pain. I can't imagine trying to service a convertible top!

#21 ·
well actually the photo needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the right to get the correct perspective, the only thing that is the issue is the metal sub frame of the seal has worn thru

so maybe just gobs of dupont stuff will seal it , but no the dealer is not touching my top

#22 ·
Based on my E93 that has had its share of discovering the wonders of the NY/NJ potholed road surfaces, I wonder whether one should 'tweak' or tighten nuts/bolts on the moving origami parts where they fold up/down etc. ..or I am just looking for a solution where no problem exists ...:dunno:

#23 ·
well since there is absolutely no information on the top in the manual, or on the internet about tighten things, replacing seals, or maintenance how would you go about it?
maybe their is a sub manual on the top only but I cannot find one

the only information is Kats write up

#24 ·
I guess if something is obviously loose you may want to tighten it up. I wouldn't go looking for trouble on these roofs however, imho you will find it. I follow the KAT page for the seals and lube the moving parts, other than that I try not to mess with it. It is too complicated and too expensive for me to "work on". N4S

#25 ·
you said it, BMW probably has a million dollar rig they use in the factory to set these tops up and drop them in the car during production, doubt any BMW stealer can duplicate that during repair, so my opinion is leave it alone,

I think I will just purchase some grey wash cloths to put under the leak when it rains

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.