Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il Sport
DSC/ABS issues?

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2001 740iL Sport w/129,000 mi from a friend with what turned out to be LCM issues for $1200. The car sat for almost a year before I purchased it, after installing a new (used) LCM and having it coded to my car, it ran great and everything was working fine, but had a shimmy at about 50-60 mph. I thought maybe the tires had a flat spot, took it to a tire shop to have it checked out, and found it had a sticky left front caliper. Had the brakes done, was driving the car home on a long stretch of road and figured I would bed the brakes. I performed about 5 or 6 near stops from about 50 mph, then drove the car for a few miles to cool the brakes, then went home. The next day on the way to work I noticed the DSC light on after driving on the freeway for about 10 miles. When I was heading home the car went into trans fail safe mode, the gauges started to work intermittently, the service engine light came on, ABS, brake light, and the AC stopped blowing cold. I took it back to the shop and they checked the codes and this is what they had:
82 Rotation Rate Sensor
58 CAN: open circuit to AGS
P1747 & P600
130 CAN Time out AVS/ASC/DSC
128 CAN Bus Mon
221 CAN Timeout ABS/ASC/DSC
220 CAM Timeout BBS/ASC/DSC

They recommend replacing the ABS Module, does this sound correct? Or is there something else i should be looking at. The car ran great before the brake job, I didn't have any issues other than the LCM stuff when I first purchased it.

Thanks,
Dennis
Ads by Google
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528i, 99 740i, 00 740i
i had the similar issue and the first thing i did was swap the ABS sensors from the front wheels! front left to front right and the right one into the left and its been almost a year dont know why but it worked for me. also did the battery died on your car ? some times if the battery dies dsc has to be reset.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
If the lights come on at or about 30mph it is most likely the pre-charge pump. follow this......
http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/BMW_E38...ure_Lights.htm

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/ABS/Index.htm

I had tthe same problem and got a pump from the boneyard.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 735i
When you say "had the brakes done", do you mean you had the pads changed, or did the shop also replace the brake fluid (which should be done every two years, but rarely is)? If so, maybe the brakes were not bled properly (any spongy feel to them?).
If the brake fluid was not replaced, then keep in mind the installation of new pads causes some of the brake fluid wich has been lower down in the system filling the extended caliper piston bores, to be pushed back up and maybe this has dislodged some goop or as ebida3 has indicated, maybe messed with the precharge pump (air bubble or something).
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Been a few weeks. Any resolution OP? How is your battery?