Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Wet carpet driver side foot well

Hi,

I got a 2008 328i, and I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a wet carpet in the driver side foot well area. The carpet is wet under the all weather floor mat I have, in the area of he brake pedal and the foot rest. I don't feel any wetness in the carpet above or to the side, but it may have dried since.

It has rained heavily here two days ago, and I also got a car wash yesterday. I also used the A/C a couple of days ago during the rain, it was very hot and humid. The previous time I noticed a wet carpet there was heavy rain, but it had rained a couple of times since and the problem didn't resurface. I thought it was maybe due to me having left the sun roof cracked open during rain or A/C condensation.

So what I did is to run water down the sunroof drain to see if that one is clogged. However, that water seems to run out fine under the car on both sides, maybe a little slower on the driver's side though.

Any other suggestion what I should investigate? Could this be covered under CPO? I still have a couple of months left.
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Could be the vapor guard in the door. Try streaming heavy water along the window seals where the trim is located, then check just below your map pocket for water. If so, you just need to remove the panel and either replace the butyl rubber surrounding the vapor guard, or maybe do some patching. A hair dryer will soften that stuff nicely.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
when the AC runs check to see if water is dripping from under the car, your condensor box drain could be stopped up and leaking into the cabin
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There was a service bulletin released pertaining to a faulty windshield cowl cover. The cowl lifts and allows water to drip ontop of the AC blower motor and into the passenger footwell. In severe cases, it will also leak into the driver side footwell.

The AC blower motor bearings rust, cause squeaking noises, then eventually the bearings seize and the motor fails. Both the cowl cover and AC motor are covered under warranty. However, I don't believe the AC motor is covered under CPO.

If you only have water in the driver's side, it's most likely a bad door seal.

Another culprit can be the sunroof drains.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 09-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Hi,

i checked the sun roof drains, they seem to be okay. I also checked the cowl drain on each side, they seem okay as well. I tried running the AC for a while yesterday, but it's pretty cool now here and not very humid, so I didn't see any condensation. Will try when it's warmer again. But if that's the issue, then i shouldn't see any wetness all winter long.

I spoke to someone who had the same issue, he said that his issue was due to water coming in from the hood release cable. Can anybody tell me how to check that? I was looking for some instruction on how to access this cable at the firewall, but couldn't find anything.

How about this cowl TSB? Could I get them to do the work as warranty, even though car is only under CPO coverage now?

One thing I forgot to mention before, the car had an accident about 1 1/2 years ago, where it was struck on the front left side, the side where there seems to be the leak now. Some maybe something at the firewall there wasn't properly reconnected.

Last edited by konradsa; 09-15-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The TSB will cover your cowl under CPO if you VIN falls under the service bulletin.

You can easily check if you have an issue if you see any gap between the windshield glass, and the rubber seal, on the plastic cowl cover.

In my case, a trim piece running along the bottom edge of the windshield was missing. It was either never replaced after being serviced at the dealer, or it was never installed from the factory. There was a noticeable 1/2" gap in the center of the cowl.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
The TSB will cover your cowl under CPO if you VIN falls under the service bulletin.
Anybody could point me to the TSB? I tried to find it online, but no avail. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Ok guys, I think I may be onto something here. I poured some water in the driver side cowl drain, and I see some water then running towards where the the wires/cables enter the driver side foot well, see picture. It seems to be leaking from the inner corner of the drain, see picture. I am thinking about putting a bead of silicone in the corner of the cowl drain see if it gets any better.

Does this sound like a reasonable suspicion, or should water not enter there through the firewall even if the area gets wet? Is there anything wrong with my car there, or could it be that the part just got overstretched and broke when the car got taken apart for repair and put back together again

Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: E92 LCI - 330i & MX-5
Hi konradsa,

Did you ever resolve this? Did your suspicion about the side drain prove to be correct and using silicone sealant help.

I am unfortunately having the same problem with my 2010 E92 LCI.

Cheers.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Yes, I actually did resolve the issue. The water didn't come from there though, I came from a bad vapor seal in the driver door. I removed the door panel, reglued the seal, and no issues since. It's a pretty easy job.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for your response konradsa,

I'm glad you sorted your leak out. I have read alot regarding the 'faulty door liner' issue.

I checked that by opening the drivers (RHD - UK car) door and pouring water down the outside of the door glass. The water seemed to very quickly exit out of the lower door drains as it should. I couldn't see any coming out of the door inner trim, but will check by repeating the test with the door closed and paper towel in that area to show if any water seeps through.

I think the micro/pollen filter housing is my next test.

Dissapointing for a three year old car I have to say!

Thanks once again.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk View Post
Thanks for your response konradsa,

I'm glad you sorted your leak out. I have read alot regarding the 'faulty door liner' issue.

I checked that by opening the drivers (RHD - UK car) door and pouring water down the outside of the door glass. The water seemed to very quickly exit out of the lower door drains as it should. I couldn't see any coming out of the door inner trim, but will check by repeating the test with the door closed and paper towel in that area to show if any water seeps through.

I think the micro/pollen filter housing is my next test.

Dissapointing for a three year old car I have to say!

Thanks once again.
Yes, that test was pretty obvious on my car. I poured water right between the window and the weather strip, and I saw it dripping out on the inside of the door from under the door panel where the storage compartment is. If that doesn't happen on your car, you may have a different issue. You can also do the same test with the sun roof channels and see if you have an issue there.

Regarding the three year old car, I was also surprised how badly the vapor barrier is glued to the door. This seems like a pretty bad design flaw to me, this barrier has to rip and get detached over time, and water will come in. I was actually pretty impressed by the design of the door panel, how you can just take it off in one piece with everything, even the door handle attached. But this BMW vapor barrier is total garbage.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM

More investigating yesterday evening.

Removed the plastic trim that the bonnet(hood) release handle mounts onto. That revealed an electronic module close to the OBD port. That module is mounted to the chassis with a foam pad backing, presumably for sound/vibration proofing. That foam pad was wet (worrying as it is close to the electronic module).

So, I squeezed out all excess water and set up a heater in the foot well to dry the area.

Once dry, poured a water/strong smelling car shampoo mix (so I could recognise the smell on any moisture inside) around the hood side drains, the windscreen scuttle plate and the pollen filter area. No water ingress apparent. Checked the footwell heater duct outlets; dry.

Anyway.... Got up this morning, rain overnight. Guess what.

Damp again!

I'm going to check the pollen filter area under the hood but I assume that if the leak was in that area, the water would be entering the footwell area through the heater ducting.

Any ideas would be gratefully recvieved as this is looking like the most expensive tea a give ever bought

Cheers

PS - no sunroof on my car, unfortunately; although, maybe a good thing, less to cause leaks!!!!

Last edited by kcyk; 01-04-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: no any
The AC blower motor bearings rust, cause squeaking noises, then eventually the bearings seize and the motor fails. Both the cowl cover and AC motor are covered under warranty. However, I don't believe the AC motor is covered under CPO.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM

Thanks Superman,

What is CPO?

The blower sounds ok, no squeaking.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Just an update in case anyone is having the same problem.

I think I may have found the water entry point.

I removed the electronic module that is adjacent to the hood/ bonnet release handle (rhd uk car, not sure if this would be on the left hand side on LHD car) and pulled back the foam paddling that it is mounted through. Under that, on the chassis is a small plastic clip that obviously holds something on the other side (not sure what) and it is held captive in a hole in the side chassis see photo). The water seems to be seeping in through there, no dampness above and a small dribble underneath. So, i dried throughly and applied a sealant over the area. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	415525  
Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk View Post
Just an update in case anyone is having the same problem.

I think I may have found the water entry point.

I removed the electronic module that is adjacent to the hood/ bonnet release handle (rhd uk car, not sure if this would be on the left hand side on LHD car) and pulled back the foam paddling that it is mounted through. Under that, on the chassis is a small plastic clip that obviously holds something on the other side (not sure what) and it is held captive in a hole in the side chassis see photo). The water seems to be seeping in through there, no dampness above and a small dribble underneath. So, i dried throughly and applied a sealant over the area. Fingers crossed.
I hope you found the source of your leak. Let us know how you make out.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Success!

Well, approx 6 weeks since sealing that little black clip, and the carpet is dry as a bone. Plenty of rainy weather since too, so I am confident that has sorted it.

Hope it may help anyone else having the same issue.