Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: Camry Solara
Seeking Community Advice

Got approval from the wife to indulge myself a bit, provided has 4 doors. I considered a 5 series but I really would like an M5.

I was originally going to go with an E39 for under $20k, but now I'm exploring what E60's are available and am seeking some advice.

I found some 06's & 07's at prices I'm comfortable with but I read somewhere that these years were prone to specific problems, and that one should consider getting an 08+ because those were fixed. I'd rather spend $30k now than $23k now plus $15+k later because of those 'issues'.

Yet I can't help but wonder: Couldn't the same be said of 08's, 09's, etc.?

I realize its impossible to say whether or not its a 'good' car just by looking at an ad or by the Carfax/AutoCheck report. So I'm going to try to mitigate some risk by having a PPI done at a BMW dealership. One dealer said "we charge $330.00 with a computer scan and a general check" and that it would take up to 2 days.
  1. Is 1-2 days normal?
  2. Does the car remain on the lot for 2 days or do they let the owner take it back overnight?
  3. Is that a good price?
  4. What the heck is a 'general check'? Is there something more thorough?

I want to make sure to don't get scroogled (sorry - I just saw one of those Bing v Google commercials). I want to try to do my part to limit opening myself to any unnecessary pain and headache.

I've seen NADA & KBB prices, and some private/dealer prices are way higher, and they claim its because its a rare car. I could understand if we're talking the E39 Le-mans blue metallic exterior with black/blue interior sports seating. (I'm not looking to pay a premium for rarity.)

Any advice on
  • year (06 vs 07 vs 08)
  • mileage (nothing over 90k, 80k, 70k, 60k etc)
  • pricing (e.g.: 06 with 69k for $25 is a great deal.)
Would be a huge help for me. Because right now, I feel like I don't have a good handle of what I should be paying; and what's a good deal if there's a little wiggle room.

Thanks

Last edited by Phylum; 09-15-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Ads by Google