Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 750i
I've been toying with the idea of a Tesla for me and a 5 for my wife. The range is more than acceptable for what I do. The lack of dealerships isn't a problem since there is no ICE which causes most of the dealer visits. The one thing I'm very concerned about is battery life. I put 18K miles/year on a car. How long will the batteries last, and when they give out what are the options? I think things at that point will get ugly.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
Re: Knock coming from engine after Drive Train Malfunction

Final diagnosis: Faulty fuel injector that was stuck open dumps fuel into the cylinder. All valves shut on the compression stroke. Nowhere for the fuel to go. Engine hydro locked. Bent rod #4. Messed up clearance. Piston and crank met each other. Hence the "knock".

Here is a photo of the damaged piston right when it is about to smack the crank. The crank shows a TINY bit of an impression on the edge. I really don't think it will have an affect but I will still have it balanced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381332647266.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	401178   Click image for larger version

Name:	1381332670442.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	401179  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 AM

BMW, "You have a bad low pressure fuel semsor."

Hmm......

Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
Damn, those pictures are scary.

Reminds me of a post I saw a while back.

http://www.xerq.net/showthread.php?1...are-blowing-up
Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Good call, Geo. My 7 had its original injectors in it according to the BMW tech that initially diagnosed my car. BMW still feels no sense of responsibility to the issue. I am still amazed this happened..

Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM

BMW will not even budge off MSRP on parts for me lol....

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM

I am close to giving up on BMW too. The new 7 will have to be a dramatically lighter and more efficient vehicle to pull me back in. BMW customer service should improve as well, need to find a dealer I am happy with.

I am on the list for the Tesla Model X for the next family car. Held off on getting for myself a Model S because I am not sure I want to deal with a car that I have to plug in all the time.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM

In late 2001 when the 02' E65 was unveiled everyone talked about how BMW was decades ahead, and they were. Having owned an E65, an E66, and an F02 I can say they have not continued to advance as they should have based on where they started with the E65. Hyundais, IMO, have not be only caught up with the BMW in technology but have passed them. No offense to any Hyundai drivers, but I would never drive one. I like people gawking at my cars and wondering how much I spent on them.

Here is another thing that bothers me. My 7 was $127K. A 5 optioned out as much as mine tharlt costs much less can pull up next to me and leave me in it's rearview mirror. They put the same turbo'd N63 in many of their 4.4l cars. I feel that the 7 should stand separate and be superior in all aspects.

I just drove an S63. I am in love! I've driven them before but never went over all of the options and never felt the POWER of them as I did today. I will probably share the options in a later post, even though it may not be totally appropriate for this forum.

I am with you in regards to the plugging in of the car. I like my freedom. I would feel restricted with that. Perhaps I would be okay with it as a secondary car just to show off but not as my only luxury car. I like my spontaneous trips and changes of plans.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Here is a picture of the rod and piston. The rod is clearly bent and twisted a bit. The shiny indentations on the piston are from where the crank and piston were meeting at the bottom of the stroke; the cause of the knock.

The delay in getting it back together is waiting on parts and tools. The camshaft timing tool came in the mail today. Waiting on some bolts from Germany. I should have all the parts by next Wednesday.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Here's the pic...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1383165499446.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	404918  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: E38, e23, e3
Knock coming from engine after Drive Train Malfunction

Crazy....... You wouldn't expect this on a modern day engine. Maybe you've already stated your plan, excuse me for asking if so but, isn't your engine trash? Or is this isolated completely to one cylinder rod and piston?
Hope you have smooth sailing with whatever route you take.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: '14 750i
I'm a bit shocked by the picture. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that either the metal wasn't of the proper quality, or the engine was put under severe load, or there was an issue with the oil. Any idea?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEbimmerguy View Post
Crazy....... You wouldn't expect this on a modern day engine. Maybe you've already stated your plan, excuse me for asking if so but, isn't your engine trash? Or is this isolated completely to one cylinder rod and piston?
Hope you have smooth sailing with whatever route you take.

Luckily the damage was isolated to what you see in the pic. The aluminum shavings got caught up in the filter. I went ahead and had the entire engine cleaned at the machine shop. I am rebuilding it. I will probably sell it afterwards. I do not have great confidence in BMWs. This is my third one and have had too many issues with them. I will probably get an S65 AMG.

I will keep you posted with the progress. It should be finished in the next 10 days.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgeekboy View Post
I'm a bit shocked by the picture. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that either the metal wasn't of the proper quality, or the engine was put under severe load, or there was an issue with the oil. Any idea?
The rod being made of aluminum made it the point of least resistance thus it took the damage. I am glad it was the rod as opposed to the crank or the block.

This engine has direct injection, the injectors go directly into the cylinder. The cylinder 4 injector got stuck open and filled the cylinder with gasoline. Liquid does not compress well. There was no where for it to go. The engine "hydro locked". It still ran but had a knock.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
I don't think a S63/S65 would be much more reliable than the 7. There's a reason why you can pick up a S63 for half the price, no one wants these cars after the warranty is done because it's really expensive to maintain.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

My logic for wanting one is that I loved driving them and that there are many more of those with over 150-200k mi on them than 7s. I've never seen them at half the price of a 7. Maybe half the price of their original purchase price. That's is pretty much the same with the 7s though.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM

What's the status of your 7? I saw you were putting it away on lift for the winter, is it running again?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:21 PM

It is running. I hadn't had a chance to give the official update. Around 2 weeks ago I got the last bit of parts from Germany. I waited nearly 10 weeks to get head bolts, they were on back order.

I will try to do an update with some more info later. It was a pretty obnoxious process.

For now, the 7 will chill in the garage for those non salty days. Part of me wants to sell it but I sure do love sitting in that cockpit...

Old 12-22-2013, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.chris View Post
It is running. I hadn't had a chance to give the official update. Around 2 weeks ago I got the last bit of parts from Germany. I waited nearly 10 weeks to get head bolts, they were on back order.

I will try to do an update with some more info later. It was a pretty obnoxious process.

For now, the 7 will chill in the garage for those non salty days. Part of me wants to sell it but I sure do love sitting in that cockpit...

After all that hard work, perhaps you should enjoy for few more miles before selling it. Especially since you have the skills to fix & maintain this beast.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:33 AM

Haha good point. Honestly, I am scared something else will break though. It is a very difficult car to service. Not terribly expensive though. I will give a rundown of everything I did soon.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Wow...this has been a process.

When my BMW developed a knock only a few weeks out of warranty (I didn't know it was out of warranty yet or I would have purchased the extended) and BMW NA turned their back to me I was left with a choice. Shell out $12k+ to have the dealer send the drivers head to the machine shop (this is what they felt the problem was) or fix the problem myself. I've had loads of experience with working on cars as a hobbyist mechanic but nothing like this complex engineering marvel.

I could have gone for the $12k option but the dealer could not guarantee me this would fix my car. I didn't agree that there was an issue with the head either. I truly believe the knock was deeper. Two more massive solid pieces had to be running into each other as opposed to the smaller pieces in a head.

Once I pulled the motor and disassembled it I confirmed that the heads were perfect. The crank and piston from cylinder 4 were meeting at the bottom of each stroke causing the knock, the rod was bent.

I sent the rotating assembly to the machine shop. They replaced the piston, rod, and rings, bathed and honed the block, spun and polished the crank and confirmed balance.

I then started reassembling the engine. I replaced every single gasket in the process as well as those junky index 5 injectors that BMW pulled from the dealers and will not allow dealers to sell. I installed the index 11 injectors (which are the new and recommended injectors, for the time being).

This motor has four cams and all must be timed PERFECTLY in sync with the crank or the DME will not allow the engine to spark. The cams rotate once to every 2 rotations of the crank. This may seem tricky but with the proper tools it is easy. I purchased the N63 timing tools, this is a must.

After I got her back together I was able to start her up. I just needed to code the injectors. I purchased a BMW ICOM setup and the diagnostics and programming computer that the dealer uses (ISID, ISIS, ISTA/d ISTA/p, etc. I have been hooking my BMW friends up as well as a couple friends who own high end lots here in town. They used to send their cars to the dealer. They no longer do this, there is no need and we collectively have an issue with BMW NA. I stole a mechanic from the dealer and hooked them up at one of my buddies lots to do all of the BMW programming and coding. He is happier there).

The motor initially started without coding the injectors. I went to code the injectors and the car wouldn't start. It threw 4 disheartening codes; Crankshaft synchronization error, inlet and exhaust cams outside limit value bank 1 & bank 2. The DME was telling me my cams were out of wack. I went through everything electrical and found nothing. So I ripped her apart again D=

I replaced all four camshaft adjuster/vanos gear (they were all broke) and I went ahead and threw in new chains too (my buddy mechanic I stole from dealer replaced 5+ stretched chains on N63 motors on <50k mi cars the last 8 weeks he was there so I figured my 40k ish car could use them).

After reassembling, I got the same 4 errors codes!

taking a break....I will finish in the next post.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Audi A6
All I can say is wow! What a story. I am really hoping you get that motor back together and running well. I can't believe that BMW corporate is just sitting idly by while these motors are blowing themselves up and its all documented on social media! What are they thinking?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
These cars are not made out for the long term (5+ years).
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpumroy View Post
All I can say is wow! What a story. I am really hoping you get that motor back together and running well. I can't believe that BMW corporate is just sitting idly by while these motors are blowing themselves up and its all documented on social media! What are they thinking?
It has been around a month since I tore the motor back apart. It is back together by now. I will post an update soon.

BMW...I have loved my 7's but it will be hard for me to purchase another. I will never service or maintain my vehicles through the dealer again though, unless it is with BMW NA's wallet. I have mentioned in previous posts a couple other cars in the 7s class that I have looked into.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J750 View Post
These cars are not made out for the long term (5+ years).
That is unfortunate. They should be built better than that. They are changing things on the motors to meet emissions regulations and to keep up with competitors so problems are somewhat expected. But not engine fires, melted cats and O2 sensors, and complete engine failures. I have only put 8k miles on my F02 over the past 2 years. I run and circulate fluids regularly though. Change oil based on time as opposed to miles because I simply do not put enough miles on it. I would like to see a 7 hit 200k without needing a trams or motor.