Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550
I just joined the club

I just cut a deal for a 2010 550 GT with only 4k miles in Black Sapphire with Blk Dakota.

It is pretty loaded with - sport package, EDC, dynamic handling, comfort package, convenience, heads up, lane assist, surround view, 4 zone hvac, rear luxury seating, climatized/active front seats, hi fi stereo, usb interface, expanded BMW online apps, phone prep, ceramic knobs, ski bag and rear shade....(not sure if some of these options are part of the listed packages or not....).

I think I got a good deal.

Pretty sure I will add the rt66 warranty and play it safe....

Last edited by rogueshot; 09-16-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: type
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I'm sure you should like it. Here's hoping (I've the same issue) that all of the electronics last for a long time! I've not looked over any of the aftermarket insurance policies, so can't comment on the one you're looking at. I've got a little over a year and a half before the factory warranty runs out. Depending on when that vehicle was first sold, it might still have a few months left.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I do not have extended coverage, but in retrospect I would have purchased an extended warranty from my local dealer.....if I had actually bought my 550i GT from my local dealer. In my experience extended warranties are more beneficial when there is a line of accountability. It is extremely beneficial to have someone you can state your case to who has represented hisself to support your GT when you and your GT are in distress. If you do not have this type of relationship it still requires quite a bit of research and attention to detail to get most extended warranty companies to pay. In my opinion. It also helps to have the dealership on your side, and most importantly the dealership service department guys are forced to charge what the dealer principal deems fit for job times or "standard repair times" SRT.. I have not found them to be uniform, but I have found them to be a bit exorbitant.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
There are so so many things you do not see on the surface that can break. We still love our GT!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Wow I thought we had done well w/ <16k miles on a 2010, but 4k...that's awesome! Welcome to the club, looking forward to some pics. Glad to see my comments didn't dissuade you; you will not be disappointed!

As a form of confirmation to rogue2258 comments I was searching eBay for some parts and found this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=321126385687
At first glance it really doesn't look like this vehicle should be totalled but who knows how much suspension and engine damage was sustained...looks like I will be driving a lot more carefully from now on ;-)

Last edited by daders; 09-17-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Dyslexic <> signs!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: GT 550 xi
3 year old car with only 4k miles.......
i would be very suspicious ...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM

I hear you but it was clearly registered to a private party and the BMW service records all back up the low mileage.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Welcome to the club!!!!! As long as you've done your homework, you should be fine. Your GT was probably a garage queen! Mine certainly is. I have 8,500 miles. A 2010 also. Certain buyer's luck up on people like me who, for whatever reason, don't drive their cars a lot.
Before my GT, I sold a 2007 Escalde with 7,500 miles to a really lucky guy in Wisconsin. The car was mint and better than showroom condition because the paint had several coats of quality wax and polish.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: GT 550 xi
we are all different ....
i do 8k miles in 5 months ....this is the reason i bought gt in first place...

Last edited by dKk; 09-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

now everybody has me worried. I read the fine print on the carfax "guarantee" a bit closer and it provides pretty much no real protection. I have asked the dealer for a copy of the title documents in their possession but have yet to get them. I am assuming that Washington state notes lemon/manufacturer's buybacks on the title like many states....so now I am checking with the DMV in Wash state.....fortunately I still have some time. I wish I could get a BMW dealer to run the VIN and just confirm that it is clean from a service perspective.....
Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 PM
There is no spoon

I wouldn't be super concerned about the low miles, I think you hit the holy grail of CPO's. I agree with Gt above. The dealer we bought ours from provided all service records even through it was from a sister location. The only thing I dislike is they seem to skip or spread out the oil changes way out with such low miles...

Drive it and have fun! ;-)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I just joined the club

Let me also welcome you to our group. You seem to have an excellent find at 4K miles (barely broken in!) and that is quite the option list.You have the same interior/exterior colour combination as my 2011 535xi. Like gt, I am looking forward to your pics.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM

update

Well I called BMW USA today and asked them to run the VIN for me. Initially I just asked for them to confirm the warranty start date for me. The woman was very nice and after a few minutes suggested that I call the BMW dealership that sold the car and indicated that they could tell me more than she could....So I called the dealership and initially posed the same question - please tell me the inservice date. The good news is that I confirmed that the car had sat on a dealer lot for close to 16mos before being sold (part of the explanation why the miles are so low). I then asked what else she could tell me and she replied "not much" since you are not the owner. I then asked if she could comment on the low mileage. She put me on hold and came back a few minutes later. She told me that the car may have been purchased by someone at the dealership which is why the miles are so low. She said it was not a demo or a service loaner. She also said it was not a "trade assist" or a manufacturer buyback.....So now I guess I have a little more info that puts my mind at ease but I still do not know the full story why the car only has 4k miles in 2 yrs...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I don't see why a car purchased by someone at the dealer means low mileage. I wouldn't ever trust their explanation. They only want to sell the car. They won't tell you anything bad about it. Doesn't the Carfax show the owners?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 AM
There is no spoon

We also purchased out of state, sight unseen (live in TX, bought in NC) and actually had a pre-purchase inspection done by an independent mechanic that I found on www.bimmershops.com The mechanic verified the condition and provided me some negotiation leverage (best $ spent for peace of mind). My psychology was we are buying one of the top of the line luxury vehicle with low miles therefore I figured I had the quality of the vehicle plus hopefully an owner like GT before me.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 AM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Bottom line is when buying a USED car, you have to do your homework. Provided that this car is tens of thousands of $$, first generation, thousands of miles away (from you) and generally considered an outcast by many, I would say that a lot of leg work would be needed.
Like daders, I would had have a third party inspection before seriously considering buying the vehicle.
Since you are buying from a dealer, I would highly consider their reputation as far as resale prices and customer service.

Given the information you provided, I have done the latter for you. Not to scare you off, but the dealer you are presumably buying from has horrible customer service reviews. Based on 76 reviews on Google, this stealership is sketchy at best. 2.6 stars out of 5. On Yelp, out of 35 reviews, they got 2 out of 5 stars. Not good. If you have already had some bad feelings about this deal, now you know why.

Obviously, the choice is yours to make. But clearly before even considering buying *unseen*, you would be 1000% confident that the car is not a trade assist or manufacturer buyback.... sounds like you have some work to do.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
Bottom line is when buying a USED car, you have to do your homework. Provided that this car is tens of thousands of $$, first generation, thousands of miles away (from you) and generally considered an outcast by many, I would say that a lot of leg work would be needed.
Like daders, I would had have a third party inspection before seriously considering buying the vehicle.
Since you are buying from a dealer, I would highly consider their reputation as far as resale prices and customer service.

Given the information you provided, I have done the latter for you. Not to scare you off, but the dealer you are presumably buying from has horrible customer service reviews. Based on 76 reviews on Google, this stealership is sketchy at best. 2.6 stars out of 5. On Yelp, out of 35 reviews, they got 2 out of 5 stars. Not good. If you have already had some bad feelings about this deal, now you know why.

Obviously, the choice is yours to make. But clearly before even considering buying *unseen*, you would be 1000% confident that the car is not a trade assist or manufacturer buyback.... sounds like you have some work to do.
I have never heard of a trade assist as I have never bought a new car. Before my Audi CPO experience I would not have second guessed the whole CPO process. Don't get me wrong as the car does everything it's "supposed" to, but there have been multiple trips to the same dealer because of things that I discovered there were Service Bulletins for that affected the car. Failing to perform these SB's prior to our purchase on top of the need to return twice for the same issue on more than one occasion, plus the fact it feels like a near luxury and do not care for some key aspects of the driving experience (let's face it, it's really just a nicer version of a VW 4-banger) has tainted our Audi experience to the point that I will never purchase another one. The sad fact of the matter is that dealers are in this for money and some will do the bare minimum (or even less) to make every penny possible. I learned my lesson the hard way and that is why I now have a system that I applied to our GT purchase which included comprehensive forum reviews, test drives and pre-purchase inspection. It appears to me that rogueshot has done this except maybe the final point. If truly concerned about the vehicle ask them to have this done, if they have nothing to hide they will say no problem and may even take it to your chosen mechanic (that was my experience, I wound up giving my sales contact a gift card for his attention since it was 30min each way plus the inspection time and all the other details he attended to).
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM
There is no spoon

Shoot, I got sidetracked on my diatribe...what I really wanted to say was I was under the impression that it is not legal for a dealer to sell a buyback under the CPO label. Even if it is I would be shocked a BMW dealer would risk the consequences of doing so. Additionally that info would be logged with car fax as I thought I remembered reading they now have dealer record integration (at least the report I received had information regarding what the dealer performed, the date, mileage and location - my dealer was in NC and the report showed service in both FL and NJ).

I guess what I'm trying to say is rogueshot shouldn't be second guessing his decision but may want to consider a pre-purchase inspection for peace of mind and protection from receiving something unexpected in a couple months.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes (3)
When I was buying my used 2007 X5 long time ago from Florida dealer...and it was not CPO, but still had warranty for another 1,5 year at that time - I just went to our local BMW dealer in NYC ..started to talk with one of friendly looking female SA's, gave her $40 bribe and asked her to run service report and give it to me. She was very helpful assisting and I knew everything that was done with that car. Do you know how to bribe people ? ) Good luck.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM

ok, that is a pretty good idea....I am just running short on time...

along the same lines, I dont suppose anyone has a good enough relationship with their SA and would be willing to call and ask them to run the VIN (and pretend like you are looking at the car?)....
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I just joined the club

I have autocheck account which finds more than carfax does. According to the ABC news story. Autocheck found more issues than carfax and some serious ones carfax did not find. I can do a quick run for you if you want.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 AM

autocheck

thanks! I just PM'd you.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM

I just joined the club

Report sent looks clean. One calculated owner.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM

thanks Mark. Yup, same thing on carfax.

I m working on getting an indy mechanic to go over and look at it - now im wondering about possible accident damage/paint/body work....
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 AM

I just joined the club

It almost looks like the car has been owned by a dealer.