Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
License Plate holes width

Hi, I just purchased a 2011 328i (love it), but it did not come with a front license plate bracket. Since Texas is now enforcing the front plates, I'd like to get the bracket. However, there are two holes already drilled in the bumper that are 11" apart. Can anyone tell me what the width on standard BMW bracket is?

I think it may be only8.25", and if that's the case, does anyone know of a bracket that has the 11" distance?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 2013 335is

Order one from eBay.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Yes, thanks. That was actually my first stop. I was hoping someone can confirm that the normal OEM bracket is 11" or 8.25"? I just don't feel like drilling any more holes into the bumper...
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
Yes, thanks. That was actually my first stop. I was hoping someone can confirm that the normal OEM bracket is 11" or 8.25"? I just don't feel like drilling any more holes into the bumper...
Don't use a bracket. Use the two existing holes and screw the license to the bumper

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...icences028.jpg

I used a band saw to cut the license plate to size.

I used a free sample of linoleum from Home Depot as a backing on the license plate, plus two stainless steel screws to attach it to the bumper. I have no air-flow restrictions to the radiator or the oil cooler.

The license has been on a little over 4 years now with just the two screws.

I keep this picture in the glove compartment to show the cops just in case I get stopped. It shows that my modified license shows as much information as the license on my pickup that has a license plate frame.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...icences026.jpg

Last edited by Norm37; 09-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM

That looks nice! Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Hi, I just purchased a 2011 328i (love it), but it did not come with a front license plate bracket. Since Texas is now enforcing the front plates, I'd like to get the bracket. However, there are two holes already drilled in the bumper that are 11" apart. Can anyone tell me what the width on standard BMW bracket is?

I think it may be only8.25", and if that's the case, does anyone know of a bracket that has the 11" distance?

Thanks!
It's not that Texas hasn't in the past reinforced front plates, it's that something bubbled to the surface. Between the two German cars in our household, we have run without front plates for 15 years. There is no way we are going to drill holes just because the legislature woke up and added a clause. Give it a few months and the fervor will die down. If you live in a major metropolitan area, there are many more things to attract the LEOs attention than a missing front license plate.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Don't use a bracket. Use the two existing holes and screw the license to the bumper

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...icences028.jpg

I used a band saw to cut the license plate to size.

I used a free sample of linoleum from Home Depot as a backing on the license plate, plus two stainless steel screws to attach it to the bumper. I have no air-flow restrictions to the radiator or the oil cooler.

The license has been on a little over 4 years now with just the two screws.

I keep this picture in the glove compartment to show the cops just in case I get stopped. It shows that my modified license shows as much information as the license on my pickup that has a license plate frame.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...icences026.jpg
In the state of NJ, what you did to your plate is technically illegal. The plate is considered government property and by hacking it up, you have tampered with it.

I don't know how much the fine is in your state, but I just don't mount a front plate. And for people who know the Jersey area, you all know how much of a hassle cops can be.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
In the state of NJ, what you did to your plate is technically illegal. The plate is considered government property and by hacking it up, you have tampered with it.
Lost or damaged plates

"You must replace your license plates if they have been lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...ostplates.html

If I get a ticket (?) for a mutilated license plate I will replace it.

Quote:
I don't know how much the fine is in your state, but I just don't mount a front plate. And for people who know the Jersey area, you all know how much of a hassle cops can be.
In the state of NJ, not having a front plate is technically illegal.

Last edited by Norm37; 09-19-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:

I am also in NJ. I installed a tow hook license plate holder. Do I like the way it looks? not really. But I do not have to deal with NJ cops or tickets, and no drilling on the bumper.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix

Skene Design has a good solution

Http://www.skenedesign.com

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
Side one better

I bought this mount that mounts on where the tow hook goes
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	398047
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Texas front plate clause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
It's not that Texas hasn't in the past reinforced front plates, it's that something bubbled to the surface. Between the two German cars in our household, we have run without front plates for 15 years. There is no way we are going to drill holes just because the legislature woke up and added a clause. Give it a few months and the fervor will die down. If you live in a major metropolitan area, there are many more things to attract the LEOs attention than a missing front license plate.
Hello Kat,
We both live in Houston and you're right. The local police force has alot going on to not worry about our missing front plates. I guess I missed the latest with the legislature and some sort of clause you hinted at. Can you enlighten me please?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Hello Kat,
We both live in Houston and you're right. The local police force has alot going on to not worry about our missing front plates. I guess I missed the latest with the legislature and some sort of clause you hinted at. Can you enlighten me please?
What happened is that as you might know, something like the last 3-4 legislative sessions have tossed around the concept of abolishing the front plate requirement. Each time it hasn't passed. However, in one of the past sessions, someone did rewrite things and inadvertently omitted the clause which attached a penalty for violating the law. Someone finally noticed the oversight and so the penalty clause was added back. FYI, the penalty is now $200.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 AM
VELOZV

Try this web site

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...i330i335i.aspx
It's real strong plate.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Thanks!

My my, this thread saw some posts before tow hook plate holders mentioned....

This topic has been much discussed and a variety of tow hook plate mount mfg's ID'd. There is at least one undermounted unit that retracts on demand, for that secret agent look.

I run a tow hook mount - no issues. Comes right off; goes right on in 30 sec. Leaves your bumper untouched. Hey.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM
VELOZV

Waterboy

:thum bup:
HOOAH