Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 518
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
328i, the every day normal car

This is how 90% of f30 market will react to the car... and suspension, and steering.


Last edited by HELLR0T; 09-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
jedbmw jedbmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Grapevine, TX
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 176
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
328i, the every day normal car

The every day BMW car!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Capobranco's Avatar
Capobranco Capobranco is offline
Eye of the Wolf
Location: on the mountain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,360
Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
yeah - and your point is?

The video is an accurate representation of my experience with my 328xi. I bought my 328xi Sportline to be an appliance and the car is proving itself to be The Ultimate BMW Appliance - fast - comfy - economical and fun to drive!
__________________
BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM
328AL's Avatar
328AL 328AL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 553
Mein Auto: 2014 328i on order
That is exactly the target audience for the Luxury line!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,001
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
This is how 90% of f30 market will react to the car... and suspension, and steering.
You drive a 20 year old car. Your opinions on the value of new cars is out of your comfort zone. Stick to what you know.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,274
Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
This is how 90% of f30 market will react to the car... and suspension, and steering.
Yup, very much so correct and did they ever mention the issues of drivetrain failures and brake problems on these new F30s ???

I have never heard of so many major problems with a new series of BMWs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
av98's Avatar
av98 av98 is offline
ZHP = Patlabor
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,325
Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
328i, the every day normal car




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by av98; 09-17-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 846
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
3 minutes ill never get back... was I the only one who kept think "ERRMERRGEEERRDD" during the whole video? see this video is exactly what I keep raving about when it comes to bmw not changing a damn thing with the 328. 90% of F30 owners are the woman in the video... not "Bimmerfest" regulars.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 846
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Yup, very much so correct and did they ever mention the issues of drivetrain failures and brake problems on these new F30s ???

I have never heard of so many major problems with a new series of BMWs.
yet another E90 owner spouting off about what they've heard or have been told. The only place ive heard of failures with any F30 is on here.... by E90 owners.. strange. Matter of fact (im in Germany) my dealer over here was very surprised when I had a question about the brakes on my F30. in the words of my SA "ya dis is umm weary strange problem yeah? sie F dreizig is usually very good.. ok we make appointment" lol jokes aside though my SA here in Germany is hands down the best SA ive ever had. 100 times better than any stateside SA. anyone in Germany need a great service dept, Cloppenburg BMW autohaus in Ansbach is awesome. Theve done great work on my E60.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 AM
mwm1166's Avatar
mwm1166 mwm1166 is offline
1 month till my first ED!
Location: Studio City
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 594
Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You drive a 20 year old car. Your opinions on the value of new cars is out of your comfort zone. Stick to what you know.

BJ
Just because something isn't new doesn't mean it's worthless. There are many old things that are superior to new things. Handmade wood furniture, classic Gillette safety razors, etc. The E36 is a classic in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 846
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Just because something isn't new doesn't mean it's worthless. There are many old things that are superior to new things. Handmade wood furniture, classic Gillette safety razors, etc. The E36 is a classic in my opinion.
^^^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You drive a 20 year old car. Your opinions on the value of new cars is out of your comfort zone. Stick to what you know.

BJ
Boltja, I respect your opinion. That being said, I think a E36 owners opinion on driving dynamics weighs in much more than whatever the hell a "L328i luxury sedan" driver does. not an attack at you just an observation that I know would be pointed out to me if I made the same comment. With the description of your F30 IMO you fall directly into the demographic BMW is targeting with the F30..... maybe you should stick to what YOU know. I really don't have beef with you boltja, this comment was interesting though.

....now ill just wait for the backlash and insults... 3...2...1..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 AM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
This is how 90% of f30 market will react to the car... and suspension, and steering.

This is absolutely the worst review I've seen. She should stick to reviewing diet pills or cosmetic products.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
yeah - and your point is?

The video is an accurate representation of my experience with my 328xi. I bought my 328xi Sportline to be an appliance and the car is proving itself to be The Ultimate BMW Appliance - fast - comfy - economical and fun to drive!
This I can agree with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Just because something isn't new doesn't mean it's worthless. There are many old things that are superior to new things. Handmade wood furniture, classic Gillette safety razors, etc. The E36 is a classic in my opinion.
Par for the course for BJ. Not even his man servant will be caught dead in an e36.
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:23 AM
windsor027's Avatar
windsor027 windsor027 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: McLean VA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,672
Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
I know I am going to get flamed on this comment but any wonder why they had to increase the size of the 3 series?
__________________
2014 X3 35i Dynamic Handling Package| Cold Weather Package | NAV | Premium hi-fi system | Driver Assistance Package.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 AM
MasterYoda's Avatar
MasterYoda MasterYoda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 332
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is DCT ProTune
328i, the every day normal car

Bought my wife an F30. Need I say more!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 846
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
Bought my wife an F30. Need I say more!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
as did I. doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving it from time to time. hers is properly equipped with an M suspension too . I really like it.... there I said it lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,178
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
328i, the every day normal car

What she is calling the 328 is the classic definition of a sports sedan. I don't find it negative at all.

CA


Sent via Bimmerapp from my 7 year old out of style car.
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-17-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 AM
MasterYoda's Avatar
MasterYoda MasterYoda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 332
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is DCT ProTune
328i, the every day normal car

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
as did I. doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving it from time to time. hers is properly equipped with an M suspension too . I really like it.... there I said it lol
After 1,600 miles on ED I grew to like it also. DHP made a big difference on our xDrive model. Still like my E92 more though.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 846
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I know I am going to get flamed on this comment but any wonder why they had to increase the size of the 3 series?
honestly as I've owned an E30, E46, E90 and a F30 only one of those may be used as a family car. The E90 gets a bit cramped in the back after children get around 3 or 4 years old. E46 no way, I tried... just.. no. then the E30, common. I only have 1 child (6 years old now) and he has to reach to kick the back of the seat.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 AM
threeOh threeOh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida & Switzerland
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: cars & bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
yeah - and your point is?

The video is an accurate representation of my experience with my 328xi. I bought my 328xi Sportline to be an appliance and the car is proving itself to be The Ultimate BMW Appliance - fast - comfy - economical and fun to drive!
I'm pleased that's your take on your car. My take on a new XDrive Sport Wagon with 1,600 miles on it its quite different. Its my wife's car and she has yet to sit in the drivers seat. I want nothing to do with it. So, it will soon be sold. We're already talking about its replacement.

N20: perhaps an ok engine if you can get past the fact is not BMW silky smooth, has a sound more appropriate to a diesel and a linear torque and hp curve that strikes us as just plain boring. Compared to its 6-cylinder brethren, its 50% lower torque at 3,500 rpm than the N52 at 2,500 rpm. In other words, a stone that needs to be pushed constantly.

Trans: again, perhaps a decent transmission. However, it appears to believe its red line is 1,500 rpm. Which renders the N20 akin to a Fiat pulling a trailer. Ah, but there's sport mode. It raises the red line to 2,000 rpm! Oh, I have paddle shifters. Along with BMW's logic that the minute you activate one you are in full manual mode. With no coming back like VAG does on anything from their most prosaic cars to their muscle cars. This bit, for me, is the perfect reflection if the DNA that went into this car. The trans completely kills any ability to realize the potential of the N20 in normal driving conditions, let alone getting aggressive at times.

So I've gone from flooring a car a few times a year, to flooring it almost daily just to get the trans and engine to operate at some level of performance.

Suspension (with DHP): the front end's not bad. Points well, locks in. The rear is a total mess. Disconnected from the front end, has yet to set no matter how hard I mash in the pedal and shift manually to force the revs.

If you find this car fun to drive that's great. Personally, I find it a POS. My wife has taken the easy way out, having just sold my Carrera S/X74 I'm sort of stuck with it while she still has her 530i Sport/Dinan which is never sold and appears to have now outlasted its 2 last replacements.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 AM
namelessman namelessman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 875
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
What she is calling the 328 is the classic definition of a sports sedan. I don't find it negative at all.

CA


Sent via Bimmerapp from my 7 year old out of style car.
From the video it sounds like a 328i MT too. Not the most convincing review but not too cheesy neither.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Dr. 328xi's Avatar
Dr. 328xi Dr. 328xi is offline
xDriver
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeOh View Post
Trans: again, perhaps a decent transmission. However, it appears to believe its red line is 1,500 rpm. Which renders the N20 akin to a Fiat pulling a trailer. Ah, but there's sport mode. It raises the red line to 2,000 rpm!
Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience. I really wanted a wagon when I got my sedan, but I could only find them in white locally, and none with a sport line package, so I gave up on that. I did drive a CPO wagon that was a few years old, and the performance was pretty weak, but I assumed it was just the result of an abusive prior owner.

All that said, are you sure there isn't something wrong with your car? Unless they dramatically changed the shifting software on the wagon, what you're describing is definitely not normal behavior, at least for the sport auto...

In fact, I find that my car refuses to upshift appropriately if anything when I'm at a cruising speed in sport mode. At 30-45mph on regular city streets, the 8AT is sitting at 2400-2700 RPM - it should hold the lower gears to provide sporty acceleration, but should settle in at speed. Couldn't tell you what gear I'm in since BMW has chosen not to show that on the dash except in manual mode, but it clearly could be gear higher than it is. But the auto definitely isn't "red-lining" at 2000 RPM in any mode for me, and the shift points in sport mode are more in the 4500-5000 RPM range typically.

I agree that it shifts quickly in comfort mode and keeps the RPMs low, but that is, well, comfortable. So it makes sense, and it's an efficient use of the low-end torque to maintain a comfortable ride and save fuel.
__________________

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Dr. 328xi's Avatar
Dr. 328xi Dr. 328xi is offline
xDriver
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
yeah - and your point is?

The video is an accurate representation of my experience with my 328xi. I bought my 328xi Sportline to be an appliance and the car is proving itself to be The Ultimate BMW Appliance - fast - comfy - economical and fun to drive!
I completely agree. It's a comfortable commuter car that's still a ton of fun to break out on the back roads on the weekends. Swallows up all the junk that goes along with having a toddler with plenty of room to spare. Good fuel economy. Gorgeous styling. It's not the enthusiast's track car like some of the prior 3ers (without some aftermarket work anyway), but what it is to me is a true driver's family car. Does that break from its roots some? Probably. But, it feels like a natural evolution more than change in direction....
__________________

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,741
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I know I am going to get flamed on this comment but any wonder why they had to increase the size of the 3 series?
No flames just
It does seem like BMW wants to be the new Lexus. Or maybe the Lexus with a dash of sport. That is where their new focus seems to be. Plush(er) ride, bigger, more apps and other gadgets, better mpg. They will likely make more money catering to that crowd. My question is will the badge kissers still want to buy the roundel if it looses it's "ultimate driving machine" cache? Also can you out Lexus, Lexus in the long run? N4S
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM
elistan elistan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Longmont, CO
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeOh View Post
I'm pleased that's your take on your car. My take on a new XDrive Sport Wagon with 1,600 miles on it its quite different. Its my wife's car and she has yet to sit in the drivers seat. I want nothing to do with it. So, it will soon be sold. We're already talking about its replacement.

N20: perhaps an ok engine if you can get past the fact is not BMW silky smooth, has a sound more appropriate to a diesel and a linear torque and hp curve that strikes us as just plain boring. Compared to its 6-cylinder brethren, its 50% lower torque at 3,500 rpm than the N52 at 2,500 rpm. In other words, a stone that needs to be pushed constantly.

Trans: again, perhaps a decent transmission. However, it appears to believe its red line is 1,500 rpm. Which renders the N20 akin to a Fiat pulling a trailer. Ah, but there's sport mode. It raises the red line to 2,000 rpm! Oh, I have paddle shifters. Along with BMW's logic that the minute you activate one you are in full manual mode. With no coming back like VAG does on anything from their most prosaic cars to their muscle cars. This bit, for me, is the perfect reflection if the DNA that went into this car. The trans completely kills any ability to realize the potential of the N20 in normal driving conditions, let alone getting aggressive at times.

So I've gone from flooring a car a few times a year, to flooring it almost daily just to get the trans and engine to operate at some level of performance.

Suspension (with DHP): the front end's not bad. Points well, locks in. The rear is a total mess. Disconnected from the front end, has yet to set no matter how hard I mash in the pedal and shift manually to force the revs.

If you find this car fun to drive that's great. Personally, I find it a POS. My wife has taken the easy way out, having just sold my Carrera S/X74 I'm sort of stuck with it while she still has her 530i Sport/Dinan which is never sold and appears to have now outlasted its 2 last replacements.
I honestly think your car is broken. Normal behavior for Sport Mode is that 2000 rpm is the MINIMUM engine speed. If your car is shifting AT 2000 rpm even in Sport Mode, something is definitely wrong. Also, when you activate a paddle shifter, after a period of time driving at a constant speed the transmission will go back to auto mode. It only stays in manual if you've moved the shift lever to the left into M/S mode.

BTW, doesn't the N20 have 258 lb-ft from 1250 rpm to 4800 rpm? How is that 50% less than the N52's 199 lb-ft at 2750 rpm?

Wait - do you have the 328d xDrive Sport Wagon? The diesel? With only 180 hp? If so, it's no wonder the transmission shifts at such a low rpm. And that would explain your feelings of lackluster performance. And, of course, the engine sounding like a diesel. Although the torque comment still confuses me, regardless of which engine you have.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,099
Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
She should stick to reviewing diet pills or cosmetic products.
Or maybe not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms