Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I'm the oddball then since I'm in my early 30's.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf328i View Post

Not entirely.

When I was in my early 30's I'd made it, made some money, knew I was going to be set. If I were your age today, I'd lease a 3 series for $399 a month too, be done with it. Back then I had to buy, cost me $500 a month to own a CPO Acura Legend coupe.

That said, if you lined up every owner of a 2011-2014 3 Series and picked one who represented the average, she'd look something like this.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 PM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
328i, the every day normal car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf328i View Post
Not really. I'm in my early 30s too. At the hospital where I work, the majority of the docs driving F30s are younger like me. The older docs have moved up 5s and 7s, E-classes and *gasp!* big Lexuses (whatever those are called...Avalon Gold or something)

There are certainly baby boomers in F30s, and there's a lot of baby boomers in general, so they're probably a big chunk of every car's buying group. But, at least in my parking lot, the F30 (and E9x) are mostly male and mostly in their 30s to early 40s

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to heliochrome85 Send a message via Skype™ to heliochrome85
Mein Auto: 2011 Kia Optima EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
Not really. I'm in my early 30s too. At the hospital where I work, the majority of the docs driving F30s are younger like me. The older docs have moved up 5s and 7s, E-classes and *gasp!* big Lexuses (whatever those are called...Avalon Gold or something)

There are certainly baby boomers in F30s, and there's a lot of baby boomers in general, so they're probably a big chunk of every car's buying group. But, at least in my parking lot, the F30 (and E9x) are mostly male and mostly in their 30s to early 40s

same at my hospital. however, we have a few G550s, and A7s/A8s thrown into the mix.

2007 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe- Athens Blue/Slate--"Lola" SOLD (8-8-08)
2011 Kia Optima EX - Black Cherry/Cream

2014 BMW 328i Sport - Estoril Blue II/Black
- ED Pick Up 11/4/13 - PICS
- ED Drop Off 11/6/13
- PCD Re-Delivery: 1/13/14

BMWCCA #434165
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
That said, if you lined up every owner of a 2011-2014 3 Series and picked one who represented the average, she'd look something like this.
Hey! The lady in that picture looks like the physical therapist that served my late father several years ago at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

What's with all these healthcare industry workers driving BMW F30s?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Wrong.

What you describe- "orienting its core product to a market share demographic"- is what BMW is doing with it's overall strategy in the sub-$50,000 category.

X1, 3 GT, X3, 4 Gran Coupe, 1 Sedan, and the F30 all attract a different customer at a different life-stage. The 3 Sedan is merely the one that is most applicable to the aging Baby Boom generation, the very generation who BMW catered to since the 80's. The 'enthusiasts' back then were in their 30's and the 3 Series was a rockin' tight compact sports car. Little by little, the Baby Boomers grew and matured and the 3 went right along with them.
no -

You fail to recognize that no company including BMW is going to fritter away resources to market their most important signature product to a diminishing demographic. The 3 in all its high tech glory exists in its present form to attract customers who are attracted to the newest most fashionable tech toys - this is not aging baby boomers. X1, 3 GT, X3, 4 Gran Coupe, 1 Sedan is a niche oriented marketing strategy that is not necessarily defined by age.

Quote:
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" made sense for 30 year olds in 1980. Today, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is only something with an M on it not because BMW has lost its way but because there aren't enough customers out there who want a harsh ride and zero comfort features because they're happy merely with great performance. What worked for the Boomers in their 30's doesn't fly now that they're in their 60's.
and then Yes, I am glad you agree..

Hence the new BMW marketing paradigm focused on efficiency and tech, BMWs are the Ultimate Driving Machine not defined by traditional parameters of performance but by the desire to possess the latest most fashionable tech. The market for efficiency and high tech is increasingly out pacing the traditional core M constituency. What worked for the boomers in the 80s will not fly with the new fashion sensibility that values state of the art efficiency and high tech.

Of course BMW - always market savvy - is not going to allow their investment in boomers to lie fallow - BMW hopes older buyers who are in general more affluent will graduate to the F10.

Quote:
I mean, seriously? Do you people even look at other F30 drivers on the roads? It's a bunch of old people

BJ

The Ultimate Diving machine remains static without the other key ingredient, the Ultimate Driver. One is wise, in Bimmerfest especially, to venerate the qualities of the Ultimate driver, who by his fondness for the brand, and participation in the forums, dons clarion qualities of the true enthusiast, which eschew the labels of age.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM
1 month till my first ED!

Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:

Not entirely.

When I was in my early 30's I'd made it, made some money, knew I was going to be set. If I were your age today, I'd lease a 3 series for $399 a month too, be done with it. Back then I had to buy, cost me $500 a month to own a CPO Acura Legend coupe.

BJ
Nah 3 series owners out west tend to be 30 year olds. However, there are also some aging 40's/50's people still in them because they didn't move up with age. However, the 328i is definitely seen in California as a young person car. It's one of the most common cars parents lease their college daughters and sons.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Nah 3 series owners out west tend to be 30 year olds. However, there are also some aging 40's/50's people still in them because they didn't move up with age. However, the 328i is definitely seen in California as a young person car. It's one of the most common cars parents lease their college daughters and sons.
Post some pics. Let's see 'em.

For years I've been told on this forum that any California or New York teenager gets a brand new $50,000 BMW just for moving up from 11th grade yet I've never seen one. Oh, and I've looked, looked plenty. As soon as I see an F30 I check out the driver. And each and every time the driver looks like the mother or the father of the college daughter and sons, not the college daughter or son.

Cleaning girls, high schoolers, college kids, substitute teachers, garbage men, I've heard all the chatter for years, still haven't seen a single one here in the BMW 3 Series capital of the world, surrounded by BMW USA executives and their little kids who supposedly are driving around in F30's in abundance.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:

For years I've been told on this forum that any California or New York teenager gets a brand new $50,000 BMW just for moving up from 11th grade yet I've never seen one. Oh, and I've looked, looked plenty. As soon as I see an F30 I check out the driver. And each and every time the driver looks like the mother or the father of the college daughter and sons, not the college daughter or son.

Cleaning girls, high schoolers, college kids, substitute teachers, garbage men, I've heard all the chatter for years, still haven't seen a single one here in the BMW 3 Series capital of the world, surrounded by BMW USA executives and their little kids who supposedly are driving around in F30's in abundance.

BJ
A couple of things. 1) You have posted zero pictorial evidence (other than yourself being old and driving one), so the burden of proof is equally on you. 2) I do not stalk people on the road or snap pictures like a paparazzo. 3) my evidence is anecdotal, experience based, from attending a private Orange County University for 5 years and seeing more than a couple BMW's jaguars, Benz's. when tuition alone costs 38k a year (and that's a cheap school close to home for many from Irvine and Newport Beach or South County, etc) it's not a stretch. I didn't grow up like that myself. My parents could easily have bought me stuff like this, but made me buy my own, so it was a shocking move to the west coast for me.

I would say that part of the market is certainly boomer's who never moved up, but lets be honest. An entry level 328i (or 320i) when leased is as cheap as a Honda purchased. Lots of young professionals get the BMW F30 as their first "nice car."

Out here at least, I know 5 fraternity brothers whose first post college new vehicle was the F30.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Re: 328i, the every day normal car

Really getting tired of claims I don't own one. Ive got nothing to prove to anyone. I'm 31, my wife... None of your business... And we are on our 7th BMW. the 2 pictured, and use to own E90, E46, 2 E30s, and a E34. I even tried talking my parents into a F30. They said no they're getting older, maybe 10 15 years ago... One more question. Why do you seem fit to attack people on here. Opinions are one thing, personal attacks are another. It's says slot about your character. Just like your vehicle description.....

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1379488031542.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	397481   Click image for larger version

Name:	1379488066726.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	397482   Click image for larger version

Name:	1379488125177.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	397483   Click image for larger version

Name:	1379488174473.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	397484  

www.bmwpassion.simplesite.com
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Re: 328i, the every day normal car

That was meant for bolja, not you mwm1166 lol.

www.bmwpassion.simplesite.com
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
That was meant for bolja, not you mwm1166 lol.

LOL, I could tell. But I just don't believe you own an F30 because you don't see things the same way other people on the board do.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
328i, the every day normal car

... I just thought it was a funny video peeps to contrast all the hoopla over the suspension and how customers are going to revolt.

Relax everybody!

Especially the baby boomers (everybody knows baby boomers buy 5s and 7s )

Last edited by HELLR0T; 09-18-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

BJ
My daughter will be driving her mother's 2014 X5 next year BJ (lease on the current X5 runs out in March). its simple why get her a separate car when he mother barely uses hers.
For around 800 dollars a month its a great deal. Super safe, all maintenance paid insurance is actually good, all set. I am also teaching her stick so she will be able to drive mine also. A high school student just needs the car to get to their after school activities. BMWs IMO are the cars to lease, they have great leasing rates and when you factor the loyalty discounts, they are it. So honestly you are way off line saying people can't afford it, young people can't drive one or you have not seen any young folks driving one. Maybe you live in an area that is for retired people...LOL

Where I live BMWs are basically Hondas. In the high school my daughters go to, the student parking lot is full of BMWs several of them late model M3s and a couple late models M5s. The point I am trying to make here is having a BMW with current lease/interest rates is not a big deal.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 09-18-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc View Post
I come from E60 550 and I think F30 is great.

I couldn't pick E90 since it was too small to me. E60 was excellent for its size but it's a little too big (and too heavy) to me. It has Active Roll Stabilization and corners very flat for example but I still feel the weight...

F30 fits my needs very well. Not too small and not too big; nimble enough but also practical enough; luxurious enough but also sporty enough. Fast enough but also fuel efficient enough ... Nothing ultimate but simply a good total package.
This sums it up pretty well for me, as I also come from the E60. The F10 became too big and floaty. The F30 fits like a glove.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM
xDriver

I think the reason we see so many different age groups in F30s is the fact (which has been belabored around here plenty) that the car can be many things to many people.

For the younger buyers, it's a sporty sedan, capable of handling the needs of a new/young/growing family. It's an entry level vehicle into the world of BMW (or German luxury in general). Using myself as an example, I drove a $16k Pontiac in college, a $30k Audi as a young resident doc and now as a practicing MD I'm in a $49k BMW. Depending on how my needs change, a hypothetical progression could be a 3 wagon/GT in a few years when the kids are bigger and have more stuff and then a 5 down the line. (I'm not a 7 guy, so I'd probably never go that big, but when I'm in my 50s, I'll probably appreciate the extra room in the 5)

On the other side of things, the majority of the baby boomers I see in F30s locally appear to be in a car that is the culmination of decades of Fusions/Malibus/Passats. They spent their lives working, saving some money, helping their kids through college, and now they have the time and money to enjoy a little luxury like an F30. My mom, for example, has had Passats for her last 4 vehicles. She has a few years left on this current lease, and she's thinking about her next car being something more luxurious. She was initially planning on an A6 as it's the natural step up from the Passat with a basic vehicle she's already essentially familiar with. Having seen how much the F30 has grown over prior 3ers, though, she's now planning to look at an F30 herself.

The difference here will be trim/specs. My mom will be looking at lux line with all the comfort features. Her car will be quite a bit different from my black sport line. She'll never use the phone integration. She doesn't have digital music files. She loves her satellite radio. Nav will be a must for her, but the sport auto transmission will be irrelevant.

Sorry for making this a long essay, but hopefully it makes the point that, rather than arguing over what demographic is most represented in the F30, we should simply note that the F30 targets many demographics, and that's why sales are soaring.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
My daughter will be driving her mother's 2014 X5 next year BJ (lease on the current X5 runs out in March). its simple why get her a separate car when he mother barely uses hers.
For around 800 dollars a month its a great deal. Super safe, all maintenance paid insurance is actually good, all set. I am also teaching her stick so she will be able to drive mine also. A high school student just needs the car to get to their after school activities. BMWs IMO are the cars to lease, they have great leasing rates and when you factor the loyalty discounts, they are it.
I definitely agree with you on this one. I didn't have my own car in high school. Not because we couldn't afford one, but because sharing my mom's car was a smarter financial decision. My kids will not be getting cars as 16th birthday presents either. Again, not because I won't be able to afford to do so, but because it won't be necessary. I also just don't care for the sense of entitlement that goes along with getting a car in high school. Kids need some perspective on what things cost and earning them on their own.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
I think the reason we see so many different age groups in F30s is the fact (which has been belabored around here plenty) that the car can be many things to many people.

For the younger buyers, it's a sporty sedan, capable of handling the needs of a new/young/growing family. It's an entry level vehicle into the world of BMW (or German luxury in general). Using myself as an example, I drove a $16k Pontiac in college, a $30k Audi as a young resident doc and now as a practicing MD I'm in a $49k BMW. Depending on how my needs change, a hypothetical progression could be a 3 wagon/GT in a few years when the kids are bigger and have more stuff and then a 5 down the line. (I'm not a 7 guy, so I'd probably never go that big, but when I'm in my 50s, I'll probably appreciate the extra room in the 5)

On the other side of things, the majority of the baby boomers I see in F30s locally appear to be in a car that is the culmination of decades of Fusions/Malibus/Passats. They spent their lives working, saving some money, helping their kids through college, and now they have the time and money to enjoy a little luxury like an F30. My mom, for example, has had Passats for her last 4 vehicles. She has a few years left on this current lease, and she's thinking about her next car being something more luxurious. She was initially planning on an A6 as it's the natural step up from the Passat with a basic vehicle she's already essentially familiar with. Having seen how much the F30 has grown over prior 3ers, though, she's now planning to look at an F30 herself.

The difference here will be trim/specs. My mom will be looking at lux line with all the comfort features. Her car will be quite a bit different from my black sport line. She'll never use the phone integration. She doesn't have digital music files. She loves her satellite radio. Nav will be a must for her, but the sport auto transmission will be irrelevant.

Sorry for making this a long essay, but hopefully it makes the point that, rather than arguing over what demographic is most represented in the F30, we should simply note that the F30 targets many demographics, and that's why sales are soaring.
So basically, the F30 Luxury line is for the older female baby boomers. BJ was right in one respect, his car is for older drivers.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I'm 20. Going with a sport line f30, and no my parents did not buy this. I just have a high paying job in the IT industry.

Most college kids I see drive older e90s and Cadillac Escalades. My f30 will be the first one that I've seen in town. Everyone I've seen that drives a 5 is well into their 50s.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
So basically, the F30 Luxury line is for the older female baby boomers. BJ was right in one respect, his car is for older drivers.
That would be my take. If you scroll up to posts #52 and #53, you can scroll back and forth between BJs sig and mine - sure it's the same basic car, but they look very different, and in my opinion will skew different demographics. I'm not a fan at all of the chrome around the windows on the lux. I don't care for the wheels either. I think BJs car looks great, but it's not at all my taste - as I'm sure my lack of chrome and my more open style wheels are not his taste.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
That would be my take. If you scroll up to posts #52 and #53, you can scroll back and forth between BJs sig and mine - sure it's the same basic car, but they look very different, and in my opinion will skew different demographics. I'm not a fan at all of the chrome around the windows on the lux. I don't care for the wheels either. I think BJs car looks great, but it's not at all my taste - as I'm sure my lack of chrome and my more open style wheels are not his taste.
Where I live in PA, I see individuals of all ages driving 3 Series BMWs. Our local HS has many of them in the parking lots, as does the local supermarket. One thing I find interesting though, is the mid-late 20 somethings, and those in their early 30's, seem to be driving Acuras and Hondas as their cars of choice. We have Vanguard's headquarters near to where I live. They have active softball and flag football leagues, and play where I walk my dog most nights. When they play, they bring about 50+ cars and most are either of these two car brands. Out of this group, I only see a couple of BMWs.

I've been to their office complex during the day and it looks like an Acura/Honda dealership.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM
It means bright red

EH HEM *COUGH* FACTS

Page 14

Looks like everyone is right !

"The BMW 3 Series clearly targets TWO groups aggressively - younger, ambitions professionals with money to spend and an image to generate, and an older generation looking to their cars for freedom, independence, and a youthful spirit."

Last edited by HELLR0T; 09-18-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
EH HEM *COUGH* FACTS

Page 14

Looks like everyone is right !

"The BMW 3 Series clearly targets TWO groups aggressively - younger, ambitions professionals with money to spend and an image to generate, and an older generation looking to their cars for freedom, independence, and a youthful spirit."
The truth is usually more complex than a yes or no.

BMW niche targeted marketing is not only age specific but is also designed around themes that have a broader appeal. Freedom,sportiness, and increasingly efficiency and high tech fashion appeal not only to young professionals but may also be appealing to those who are having a mid life crisis. In general, targeted themes for the F30 are designed to resonate with a younger hipper crowd - if older guys find the message attractive BMW is not going to refuse to take their money as long as this effort does not create a confusing mixed message. BMW has the advantage of seeing the lessons of history provided by Cadillac.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
It means bright red

Everything is yes or no, don't you read car enthusiast forums?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
Everyone is yes or no, don't you read car enthusiast forums?
But the F30 is not an enthusiast's car...as stated on Bimmerfest...an enthusiast's forum...in the F30 section...which doesn't exist as there can not be a non-enthusiast vehicle on and enthusiast forum and...