Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Did you swap out your run flats?

Or plan to when it needs replacement? What about the donut?
I had an E60 before and I got normal tires mounted on aftermarket rims. I'm thinking of doing the same but there's no room to stash the donut (E60 had a donut spare).

Just curious to hear your opinion on the matter

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I'm planning to get winter rims and winter run flats.
And will continue to use run flats into the future.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
No, we have stayed with the fitted run flats. When you buy a BMW you get run flats for which the car is designed. Some people hate them (cost, ride quality etc.), but we have no issues with them and you have to accept them as part of the BMW package. Using conventional tires with no proper spare is not sensible in our opinion and changing wheels is a dangerous affair these days as people seem to be paying less and less attention to what is going on around them as they text and talk on their phones while driving. To me the use of RFTs is a safety issue and I will pay more to be safer.

If you do not like RFTs then you should buy a MB or Audi etc. BMWs use RFTs and thats what they are designed to use, like it or not.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Most performance tires already have good inside liners. I used to throw away worn out General Rally 240's in the 70's with worn out nails in them not knowing they had them.

I run Hankook V12's on a RX8, and never had a flat so I'll just take my chances.

On my new X1 s28i, it has no jack, no wrench, and they don't recommend to rotate especially since mine are staggered.

I'll just enjoy the car, and call road service for the few times it happens.

My default tire company is discount tire where I plan to get all my work done if I'm near one.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Yes - I hated the runflats with a passion. I replaced mine with Continental DWS all-season performance tires at roughly 5,000 miles. The difference in ride quality is pretty remarkable. I carry a Slime Safety Spare kit in the event I have an issue and can't reach roadside assistance. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

For those concerned about potential safety, I contend that keeping the runflats can be a larger risk depending on where you live. Runflats are more susceptible to tire and wheel damage. Living in Michigan, potholes and deteriorating railroad crossings are unavoidable. I hit a hidden pothole a few weeks ago that likely would have bulged the sidewall and/or bent the wheel had I been wearing the OE runflats. Considering the teeth rattling force of the impact, I feel like I dodged a roadside assistance incident and was spared from the trouble of trying to find a replacement tire. In fact, given the car's mileage (19k), I would have had to replace at least two tires.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Runflats are more susceptible to tire and wheel damage.
Really?
I like to know more about why?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Really?
I like to know more about why?
The sidewalls have to be rigid enough to support thousands of pounds of vehicle without the benefit of air, so they have very little flex. Impact forces then are transferred to the wheel rather than absorbed as they would be with a conventional tire. In the event the sidewall does give, the result is often an unrepairable bulge that can make the car undrivable anyway.

If you ask your tire dealer how he/she feels about runflats, an honest reply would probably be that they like the profit margins, but not the process of mounting and dismounting. Less sidewall flex makes them difficult to work with. Similar to ultra low profile tires, some dealers charge extra to mount/dismount runflats as a result. (Ultra low profile runflats are a nightmare from what I understand.) One of my BMW wheels was damaged in the process of removing the OE runflats for exactly that reason. The dealer had to (begrudgingly) buy me a new wheel.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Quote:
The sidewalls have to be rigid enough to support thousands of pounds of vehicle without the benefit of air, so they have very little flex. Impact forces then are transferred to the wheel rather than absorbed as they would be with a conventional tire. In the event the sidewall does give, the result is often an unrepairable bulge that can make the car undrivable anyway.

If you ask your tire dealer how he/she feels about runflats, an honest reply would probably be that they like the profit margins, but not the process of mounting and dismounting. Less sidewall flex makes them difficult to work with. Similar to ultra low profile tires, some dealers charge extra to mount/dismount runflats as a result. (Ultra low profile runflats are a nightmare from what I understand.) One of my BMW wheels was damaged in the process of removing the OE runflats for exactly that reason. The dealer had to (begrudgingly) buy me a new wheel.
^^What he said

Plus a lot of places do not have the special machine to dismount/mount RFTs so as soon as they realize you have RFTs, they won't even touch your car. Those that do run the risk of damaging either their equipment or your tire or your rim or any combination thereof.

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Good to know.
But (without understanding the engineering behind runflats) it almost sounds backwards.
You would think a more rigid sidewall would be able to handle more damage. Yes, a less comfortable ride, but you would think a "tougher" tire.

I'll be downsizing from 18" to 17" for winter. I suppose that should make the ride more comfortable and allow for more give hitting pot holes. I find the 18" tires now quite comfortable.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: X1

Runflats have advantages and disadvantages. So it's up to you if you want to stick with them. Since they are stiffer they do not absorb sudden shocks as well as conventional tires. That shock can be transferred to the rims and cause them to warp out of shape or crack. It's like wearing wooden shoes vs rubber soles shoes.

Some other disadvantages:
- Most places will NOT fix punctures in run flat tires. If they do its at your risk. You have to replace the tire
- The tires also can fail to a point and can not be driven on at all like conventional tires. In that case you need to be towed on a flat bed.
- Runflats are not usually stocked and need to be ordered. It can take a day or two to get replaced. So if you are in the middle of nowhere you could be stuck there for a while.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
This is an interesting discussion. One assumes if you run the RFT while deflated you ruin the tire but can limp to a tire center and get a new one IF they have them. I would assume given the plethora of tire sizes, brands, speed ratings etc that it is unlikely your exact replacement would be in stock.

If you flatbed the vehicle it sounds like they do not recommend repairing the tire anyway so a damaged RFT is a goner either way.

It seems as though having a repairable tire (ie a non-rft) is the best option at least in the sense that in most circumstances you could be back on the road sooner than you might with an RFT.

I also wonder why the recommendation not to rotate the RFTs. Tire rotation seems to me to be a fairly universal way to extend the tire life by making a more even wear pattern.

I noticed in the manual they do not even give you the tire bolt torque specification in the event you have to change a tire. I had to google around to find it (88 lb-ft or 120 NM).
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
It seems as though having a repairable tire (ie a non-rft) is the best option at least in the sense that in most circumstances you could be back on the road sooner than you might with an RFT.

I also wonder why the recommendation not to rotate the RFTs. Tire rotation seems to me to be a fairly universal way to extend the tire life by making a more even wear pattern.
RFT's are just as repairable (unless the carcass has been damaged by running too far or too fast while un-inflated) as a regular tire. I got a nail at like 5K, had it properly repaired (not at a dealer - they won't do it) and ran it until worn out at 23K (you can't expect more than that from most performance summer tires.)

BMW has not recommended rotating tires for over 20 years. Not just RFTs.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Floyd,

Great answer. I see no reason why the RFT's cannot be patched. There is nothing intrinsic in their design that does not make them amenable to repair.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
RFT's are just as repairable (unless the carcass has been damaged by running too far or too fast while un-inflated) as a regular tire. I got a nail at like 5K, had it properly repaired (not at a dealer - they won't do it) and ran it until worn out at 23K (you can't expect more than that from most performance summer tires.)

BMW has not recommended rotating tires for over 20 years. Not just RFTs.
Yes...BMW stopped recommending rotation about the time they started producing cars with staggered wheel set-up and BMW dealers reporting that cars were coming in with the wider wheels on the front!

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
Will replace rft w/ Michelin Primacy MXM4

I'm planning on replacing the rft on my ordered MY14X1 xline the day i take delivery ( mid November). I'm wondering what is the fair market value of the set of 4 tires and wheels (Y spoke alloy). Plan to sell them. San Diego, CA.
thanks
shortstop
Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
I don't know about the wheels, but I doubt the rubber will sell for much. The reason for my doubt is the incredibly small number of tires offered at the size (although, now that I type this I wonder if the x-line and sport line have different tires or not...).

This is actually a big reason I am reluctant to switch from RFT's (excluding the issue of spare, which is its own bag of worms), no good all-season performance tires in the size.

We'll see how the current tires hold up, I'm not too convinced they'll last due to their distinctively "burnt rubber" smell after quicker jaunts. And I'm not even out of the break in period so I don't exceed 4k RPMs
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM

^I've already tested my X1 at the track with 225/45r18 and 255/40r18 Pirelli P7's.

I never smelled burnt rubber, but the brakes gave a little scent by bedding in. On the Second run the brakes were very good from 90-40mph, and never acted like they would fade.

I wore almost 1/32 off, but they are really good for traction, and even when wet.

Next time I'll get Continental DW, since these run flats are "too damn high", and bouncy.

The Continental DWS is at nearly every discount tire in America, and a very good All season type.

So what model tires did you get?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
RFT's Evolve

Given my experience with RFT's on my 2007 Z-4 Coupe and my 2011 528i, I was fully prepared to swap out the RFT's for non RFT's immediately upon deivery of my X-1 M-Sport. Much to my surprise, the Pirelli's on the X-1 rode remarkably smooth and quiet. Apparently, RFT's have evolved considerably over the last few years. As for flats, I would drive on an RFT only under duress. I keep a plug kit, a can of Flat Fix and a small compressor in the car when I travel. Anything close to home, I use my road service. For many years, Porsche used the Flat Fix/compressor package in lieu of a donut spare.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
^I've already tested my X1 at the track with 225/45r18 and 255/40r18 Pirelli P7's.

I never smelled burnt rubber, but the brakes gave a little scent by bedding in. On the Second run the brakes were very good from 90-40mph, and never acted like they would fade.

I wore almost 1/32 off, but they are really good for traction, and even when wet.

Next time I'll get Continental DW, since these run flats are "too damn high", and bouncy.

The Continental DWS is at nearly every discount tire in America, and a very good All season type.

So what model tires did you get?
Hmm. I have no idea what I was saying last night. Or rather, I know that I was perhaps trying to say the opposite of what I ended up saying. I was lamenting the lack of runflat replacement options within the performance all-season spectrum a couple weeks ago, and must have had a drink or two such that I recalled it the other way around.

And for the record sport-line is Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat, v rated 225/45r18's all around.

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 09-24-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoaz View Post
Given my experience with RFT's on my 2007 Z-4 Coupe and my 2011 528i, I was fully prepared to swap out the RFT's for non RFT's immediately upon deivery of my X-1 M-Sport. Much to my surprise, the Pirelli's on the X-1 rode remarkably smooth and quiet. Apparently, RFT's have evolved considerably over the last few years. As for flats, I would drive on an RFT only under duress. I keep a plug kit, a can of Flat Fix and a small compressor in the car when I travel. Anything close to home, I use my road service. For many years, Porsche used the Flat Fix/compressor package in lieu of a donut spare.
Never had run flats, but that's what I thought, too.

The P7's might even have more grip than the Continental DW I'll put on later.

I'm running 42 hot psi all around (38 cold), and they still feel bouncy though.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
Hmm. I have no idea what I was saying last night. Or rather, I know that I was perhaps trying to say the opposite of what I ended up saying. I was lamenting the lack of runflat replacement options within the performance all-season spectrum a couple weeks ago, and must have had a drink or two such that I recalled it the other way around.

And for the record sport-line is Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat, v rated 225/45r18's all around.
LOL, TWD (trolling while drunk), eh?

Well you're a nice guy to admit it; I've done the same a few times in the past.

Yeah, a person has to study the options well get the kind of P7's you want.

I wanted the summer performance and got them.

These tires won't last me over 20k miles, and I'll get to put 225/40r18 and 255/35r18 Dw's on to lower half inch, and give a few %5 more revs at a given speed.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X-1 s28i
I have a 2013 X1 2.8i. My left front Continental Run Flat has a slow leak. BMW will look at it and see if it can be repaired or replaced by others. Should I replace it with a "better" RFT? Possibly a Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat??
Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoX1 View Post
I have a 2013 X1 2.8i. My left front Continental Run Flat has a slow leak. BMW will look at it and see if it can be repaired or replaced by others. Should I replace it with a "better" RFT? Possibly a Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat??
If I lived in Hawaii I would not get an all season tire. I would rock summer tires year long.

Hmmm, just realized I get 6 months of summer-tire weather....maybe a second set of rubber will be in the cards soon....

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 10-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: X1 35i M-sport
My first expeience with RFT was with my 2012 Mini S and it was brutal. I wanted a second set of optional Mini wheels anyway, so I bought them and mounted up a set of non RFT (Michelin Pilot SS's) and was in heaven! Great ride and great handling. I mounted a full set of non RFT (snows, Nokian) on my OE wheels for the winters. Being a motorcyclist for 43 yrs (until rear ended in Sept) I run a tire plug kit with a 12v tire pump and am perfectly happy with that set up if I need it. With my X 35i I bought a new set of 17" 5 series wheels for my new Nokian snows for my winter set. When my RFT's summer tires wear out on the 19" OE optional wheels, I will replace them with the same size tires in the Michelin Pilot SS tires. If the Michelin Pilot SS's are good enough for the OE tire on the 2014 Vette, they're good enough for my X1, 35i !!!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 35i

Toss the rft and get regular get a air pump and a plug kit simple as that. Run flat is a waste cause once it's flat and you roll to a tire dealer it can cause the tire inside to get messed up and u gotta get a new one so yeah I switched over and it's been fine

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app