Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
^^What he said

Plus a lot of places do not have the special machine to dismount/mount RFTs so as soon as they realize you have RFTs, they won't even touch your car. Those that do run the risk of damaging either their equipment or your tire or your rim or any combination thereof.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought X1 tires could take go-flats so I'm not sure how our rims would be damaged.

Go-flats typically have better performance, ride comfort and less noise than run flats.

Run flats will make slow leak screw/nail events easier to deal with, but driving too long on them can ruin the tires with a max of about 50 miles before it's ruined. Potholes will ruin/bubble a run flat that go-flats don't have issues with, lots of threads on this and if you live on the east coast read up first! There are stories of people being stranded for long periods because run flats aren't carried as much too.

Anyway, my $.02 is based on wanting the best performance year round. I just purchased a winter set of wheels and Dunlop 4D go-flats (they have run flat 4D's but Tirerack doesn't sell them yet). And as soon as my summer run flats wear out, they'll get go-flats. If I was looking for an all-season I'd go DWS go-flats.

I'm asking for problems but I won't carry a spare but I might carry a slime kit for worst case. I rarely travel more than 10 miles away from tire stores and 50 miles from home. Worst case I leave the car, get a ride back home, grab another car, jack, torque wrench, another wheel and head back to the car to swap. Might be a slight pain one day but slime can ruin TPMS and many places won't repair a slimed tire, or they hate you for it. Also with awd, if a tire gets ruined with half worn tread, you might need to have a new one shaved and most regular tire stores won't do this so your car may be awol for a few days. If I get a bad flat, I'll slowly drive the car back home on the other seasons wheel and use another car for the week. If I go on a long trip, I'll take a wheel from the other seasons set because is far safer than potentially getting a flat and having to wait for a tire to be shipped in.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
Haven't got the car yet - so i haven't swapped tires - now i'm leaning toward keeping the run flats b/c: can't get much $ for the RFTs, and maybe the new gen. RFT will not be so harsh
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 sDrive28i xLine
My new X1 X-Line has the 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFTs on it...and so far I think they are great. I've never owned a car with RFTs before and to me they seem to ride fantastic. VERY VERY quiet and handling so far on the street seems very competent. So unless their characteristics change drastically, I have no intention of replacing the RFTs with something else until it is required.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalinjection View Post
Run flat is a waste cause once it's flat and you roll to a tire dealer it can cause the tire inside to get messed up and u gotta get a new one

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not a waste for me, or if my wife is driving and there is a flat in winter and -30C.
Its the rolling home part I like.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Not a waste for me, or if my wife is driving and there is a flat in winter and -30C.
Its the rolling home part I like.
Maybe on a very cold day the run flat can hold up better compared to 100 deg f day.

I'd like to see a test like that.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
I'll chime in about runflats in general:

A couple cars back I had a 335i with runflats (don't recall which ones...the 07's OEM summer tire).

Went around a bend, maybe just the slightest bit too fast, and ran over one of those dome reflector lights they put on the side of the road.

Not sure what the reflector was for - but I know what it did, which was blow out both front and rear right tires. I had a hole big enough to put my hand in on the front, and dime sized in the back. Proceeded to drive home because I didn't have time to call a tow truck and wait.

I think they were even able to repair the wheels...which had been bent in the impact, but not otherwise additionally damaged.

I don't care for their handling characteristics, but I respect their other abilities.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X-1 s28i
Found a screw in the tire. COSTCO will plug and patch for no charge. Only have 3500 miles on my X1. Hawaii is nice but toooo small & toooo crowded. Been here for 30+ years. Aloha!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I havent had my bimmer for long, it apparently has type V firestone RF ? the car handles like a sleezy pig on corners, like a school bus ! is this the effect of RFT? since tie rods and control arms are tip top, can these RFT cause my car to handle like a pig? no reaction at the steering wheel on highway, free play little bit , noisy as hell too.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
RFTs

Just picked up MY2014 x1 sdrive28 x line. It came w/ ContiProContact SSR 225/45/r18 91V MS tubeless. Only have 40 miles on them. They are rough - you feel seemingly ever little road imperfection- does seem a harder ride that the 2011 3281 i traded in which had the P7's RFT.

I don't know if i'm gonna swap them b/c i think i would take a heavy loss in selling these. I think if i could get $150 each i would swap for a conventional comfort tire - but early indications are that i'm dreaming.

BTW, got a flat on the RFT on the 328i two days before i traded it in - Despite what i read about them not being able to be repaired. Discount Tire repaired them for free and they ran fine for 2 days til trade in. I believe they can be repaired but liability risk on the repair is what the dealers claim prevents them from doing so. I don't know if that is a valid reason or they simply want to sell more tires.