Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 535i sport
Question Key replacement or key battery?

I have a 2010 BMW 535i Sport. The key does not work for unlocking, locking, and opening the trunk. I have to manually take out the key from the plastic case to insert the key into the key hole to lock & unlock my car. I went to my local dealership thinking I would just need to purchase a new battery for my existing key. The dealesrhip told me that I actually have to order an entirely new key (costing much more than I anticipated).

Is this true? Is the dealership trying to get me to buy a key when all I really need is a new battery for my existing key? Please help.
Thanks,
Sam
mrsam11@yahoo.com email

Last edited by mrsam11; 09-17-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Do you have comfort access? If you do, you can replace the battery yourself, the process to do it is described in your manual. If you don't, the battery should recharge itself when it is inserted into the car. I don't know if that is replaceable, or if the dealer has to do it for you.

Keith
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
If you do not have comfort access, the key should be charging when in the ignition. Same principle as how electric toothbrushes charge

Of course eventually the battery will die just from age, but it shouldn't happen this soon IMO if everything is charging correctly, unless you just never use that key (which doesn't sound like the case). My car is a 2004 and the key looks pretty beat up, so I am assuming it's at least close to original, and it's still working fine
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
While this may not be applicable in this situation, I rotate my two key fobs to insure both stay charged.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535xi
If it is still under warranty then get the dealership to get you a new key otherwise you can carefully cut open the key and put in a new rechargeable battery that is available on Amazon.You would need to knowhow to solder.
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i Touring
Have you tried another key to make sure it actually is the key that causes the problem? I suddenly had the same problem with all my keys. It was due to a broken wire to the trunk lid (known fault) which supplies the diversity amplifier unit which also communicates with the keys.

Best regards
Niclas
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Thank you for your insight. I do not have comfort access so I am assuming the key is no longer charging or has just had it.
I do think it is a little early (my car is a 2010 model w/60k miles) to have to replace the key so I will be on the look out to determine if other issues (broken wire to the trunk lid) may be causing the problem. I may have to bite the bullet and just purchase the new key.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i Touring
You only have one key for your car? You should normally have two + one wallet key.

If not, you could try opening and closing the trunk a few times and see if the key starts to work again. This worked for me a couple of times until the wire broke completely. I have a 530i -08 Touring.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Unfortunately I only have one key & a wallet key...I do not have the spare so getting another key is probably a good idea. I just wanted to know why I couldn't replace the battery and had to order an entirely new key. My car is not comfort access so the key I do have should recharge when in the ignition but that isn't happening either. I will try your suggestions. Thank you very much!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
DIY'er

Yeah, the keys are sealed basically. BMW says the battery cannot be changed, but it actually can by the right person. I was not successful at it and consider myself pretty good with a soldering iron.

People on eBay offer the battery changing service for about $50 if you're interested in that.

I am in the same boat with only one key--I am actually glad I was reminded of that fact by this thread, as I need to buy another to at least have a spare key if needed
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Buy and empty shell for the key from Ebay.. they sell Snap fit ones for future ease of opening. It was only $20 and a good back up just in case you are not able to seal back the original FOB. The FOB can be opened and the battery can be replaced if done carefully and the battery can be purchased on Amazon with the holder or you can disengage the old battery from the holder and just push in the new battery in the old holder too. it works well.. I have had no issues...
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
A 2010 model should still be under warrantee. There may be an issue with the key charging system as well. Push your dealer on this.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maini View Post
Buy and empty shell for the key from Ebay.. they sell Snap fit ones for future ease of opening. It was only $20 and a good back up just in case you are not able to seal back the original FOB. The FOB can be opened and the battery can be replaced if done carefully and the battery can be purchased on Amazon with the holder or you can disengage the old battery from the holder and just push in the new battery in the old holder too. it works well.. I have had no issues...
I think the problem I had was the holder that was on the replacement battery I purchased did not match the original BMW one, so then I was trying to remove the original to swap the battery out..and that didn't go so well

In hindsight I would have just paid someone on eBay to do it
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
key stopped working

I have a 528i 2000 and I only have one master key and it was working fine until my altenantor went out and killed my battery. I just got my car fixed and now the key has stopped working, it looks like new and never had any problems..will it start working if I just leave it in the ignition? help please I really don't want to buy another key and the closest dealer is almost 2 hours away
Old 09-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmoney View Post
I have a 528i 2000 and I only have one master key and it was working fine until my altenantor went out and killed my battery. I just got my car fixed and now the key has stopped working, it looks like new and never had any problems..will it start working if I just leave it in the ignition? help please I really don't want to buy another key and the closest dealer is almost 2 hours away
YOu are on the wrong forum... I think you should be on E39 forum..
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsam11 View Post
Unfortunately I only have one key & a wallet key...I do not have the spare so getting another key is probably a good idea. I just wanted to know why I couldn't replace the battery and had to order an entirely new key. My car is not comfort access so the key I do have should recharge when in the ignition but that isn't happening either. I will try your suggestions. Thank you very much!
Somebody owes you a key!

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)