Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Garage Walls Painted and Floor Epoxied

Took 5 weekends and several weeknights, but I've finally finished painting my garage.

The walls are an exterior "pure white" semi-gloss. The floor is Benjamin Moore two-part "desert sand" colored epoxy with flakes. The liners on the wall are "fawn" colored vinyl from Roppe.

Next up is a proper workbench and tool storage.

http://dreamingwell.com/forumPictures/IMG_2919.JPG

http://dreamingwell.com/forumPictures/IMG_2922.JPG

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li & 650i
Looks great

Im drywalling the garage right now. I was going to put tape and leave it but said, what the hell.
going to patch and make even and paint it all.

Probably do the floors the same way.

Any tips or general info on how you applied it?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM
///M 'n it up!

My garage was about 15 years old when I bought the house. It had taped drywall, but that was it. The drywall was stained and faded to a dark brown.

Here are the general steps I took. Find products described and use their specific directions.

1) Remove all items from garage - literally everything.

2) Use a shop vac to remove loose dirt and debris from all corners.

3) With a diluted dish soap mixture on a damp cloth, wipe down walls and nooks.

4) Using a concrete degreaser and cleaner - power wash.

5) Using muratic acid, etch the concrete.

6) Power wash the concrete thoroughly to dilute acid and remove concrete dust.

7) Tape areas and lay down drop tarps.

8) Using a concrete trowl and drywall putty, fill taped areas and divits in wall to make smooth.

9) Prime walls and ceiling with Killz.

10) Apply two coats of exterior semi-gloss paint to walls.

11) Remove drop cloths and painting tape.

12) Sweep the concrete thoroughly - really thoroughly.

13) Apply one coat of epoxy.

14) Apply another coat of epoxy and spread flakes

15) Optionally, apply epoxy clear coat (I didn't do this)

16) Measure, test fit, and cut wall board (footer) pieces. Leave laying out for 24 hours.

17) Apply adhesive and afix to wall.

The above is basically what I did over the course of 5 weekends. I made some missteps - so it took me longer. It was a ton of work, and only worth doing if you plan on living in your garage. I'm glad I did it. Just crazy how long it took. The whole project cost me about $1k in materials - not too mention time.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
You're doing the right thing Wildag, especially the floor. When you're working under the car a smooth floor is fantastic. Makes clean up super easy too. Getting the garage fixed up is a lot of work but it pays off in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finish.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	397953  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
What did you use for the floor?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I recently had my floor done by GarageTek. It looks great. One neighbor said it looked like Corian. Another neighbor said it looked better than the floors in his house. Another neighbor said it made my 32 yo house look brand new.

Of course after I did the floor then the walls looked crappy so I had to paint them white.

And then another neighbor asked me if my wife kicked my out of the house and was I going to live in my garage.

I also have a nice work bench and shelving installed.

My garage is the envy of the neighborhood. I only wish it was a 3 car garage.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
I used the RockSolid tan polyurethane. It's good stuff but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost vs. epoxy.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 5sp. w/hdtp
I'm doing my new detached garage floor with Epoxy-Coat Industrial strength coating in tan with the fine grit gray, black, and redish color. Walls are light peanut butter color, derived from mixing several cans of leftover paint from past projects. Will post pics when finished...
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8i
How does the epoxy hold up to things like rolling floor jacks and jack stands?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
How does the epoxy hold up to things like rolling floor jacks and jack stands?
Good questions. I havn't tried them yet.

I don't imagine that a rolling floor jack would do damage, but I could see where a jack stand that moves a little bit could. I'll probably just put a rubber mat under the jack stand.

I'll report back in a few months after I've tried it.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM
///M 'n it up!

Reporting back... no problems with floor jacks or jack stands chipping the epoxy. I did put a single piece of cardboard under the jack stands - just in case.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 5sp. w/hdtp
I finished my new garage in late fall...just epoxy coated the floors about 3 months ago. I am a bit dissapointed in that I used my floor jack to raise my Z3 and a day or so later noticed a good size flake had popped up. I found another area where a smaller flake had appeared. I was extremely careful to follow all directions regarding prep. I left the garage empty for 10 days after covering, and slowly moved stuff back in from the house garage. The prep and application for this stuff was extremely time consuming, and hard work. I prepped the floor the day prior to putting down the epoxy, and being a new floor that had about 3 months of curing time, with no grease or anything ever spilled on it, I assummed the etching would help adhesion. The floor had been finished to a silky smooth condition and it took extra work to get rid of that finish via the etching material. I'm not sure I would ever spend the money again for Epoxy Coat brand material to do this....
Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Reporting back... no problems with floor jacks or jack stands chipping the epoxy. I did put a single piece of cardboard under the jack stands - just in case.
Amazing, a jack & jackstands, eh? It looks entirely too clean/nice to function as a working garage__I'm sure that I couldn't accomplish a thing in it__I'd be too self-conscious about getting it dirty!

Some nice, dedicated square pieces of 1/4" - 3/8" plywood under your jackstands would be good insurance against their concentrated load from damaging your floor. Or go all-out and get some stands (like the $$$ ones AC hydraulics had) with flat, rubber padded feet.

When we moved into our new house (well, new back in April 2012...) the attached garage came with the floor already professionally finished__looks much the same as yours__the same guy/team also did the pool deck/lanai area, though in a different finish. The walls are just sealed/painted concrete cinder-blocks (typical of Florida's home construction & hurricane standards) and a painted drywall ceiling. The attached garage is referred to as the clean garage, (I don't do any heavy work in it, only change a tire when I have to, though I did break my own rule last fall and swapped the xmsn out of the Healey, but that's another story).

To date, even with some minimal jack use, I've noticed no flaws in the floor's finish; there is a hairline crack in the slab here and there, but I think the ground in Florida is like building on a sponge, versus solid bedrock, so I'm afraid we're just going to have to live with that.

Your garage definitely looks great though, and once you get some wall storage going (Slatwall is wonderful stuff) and a couple workbenches, you'll soon forget about all the work it took to get there.

Some obligatory shots of my garage(s)...

The clean garage, a three (3) car, typically filled to double its capacity (it's a waiting room for cars going under my knife...). Incidentally, the blue Coupe in the foreground is intended to be a long-term addition (a foster-failure, if you're familiar with pet fostering that results in adoption...):

Derek and his dad ("Vinci" & "Mplass") and their wives cars are in the foreground here, the remainder belong to us and a couple of customer cars (the Z4M Coupe & S-54 ///M Coupe in the background):

[img]http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/var/resizes/New-Florida-Adventures/DSC_4833.jpg?m=1346762407/img]

And the dirty garage; beyond occasionally sweeping the floor, it sees entirely too much use to even consider any cosmetic upgrades__it took me a over a full year (14 mos) before I could get all the air piping installed__it's been in constant use since moving in, already having seen more than thirty=three (>33) cars/jobs pass through it. I've been staying plenty busy!

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 74 2002Lux, 2002 M Roadst
Looks great....
Earl
02 M Roadster
74 02Lux
72 Volvo 1800ES
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Another option to consider other than sheetrock to cover garage walls . . . "bead board". About 3/8" thickness plywood with an "A" finished side with decorative groves cut into it. More expensive than sheetrock ($26 per 4x8 sheet), but no taping, floating, texturing, and painting (unless you just want to paint). You install the sheet and you're done. Gives the garage a less sterile look, and provides a stronger surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2779[1].JPG
Views:	54
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	425006  
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 02-26-2014 at 12:40 PM.