Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
Passenger headlight won't adjust up or down?

My right headlight seems to be dipped low! I tried to adjust the light via the screw however it doesn't do anything but turn?
Any ideas? The driver light moves but not the passenger?
Thanks for any suggestions or fixes.
Spankey

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Sorry 07 335xi

Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, M-Sport
im having the same issue. were you able to figure this out?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 AM

No, sorry. When I start my car my left driver light goes up and down but the passenger one never moves!
Adaptive does move left and right though for both lights, just not up and down. From what I've read something must be broken such as an arm inside the light. I have no idea though how to remove the light or how to fix it? It's quite tight inside the engine bay.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I'm pretty familiar with the headlights on these cars. Where in pa are you located? I'm in roxborough area of Philly.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 AM

I'm outside of Pottstown 19525

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Well if you want to make the trip out to Philly I can take a look. Most of the time, the projector carrier just pops off the stepper motor ball joint and needs to be popped back on.

Though the beam normally points to the sky, not the ground. You can have a defective stepper motor. The car will default the light down so it doesn't blind other people.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks! My beam is pointing a tad lower than it should but its still viewable with the lights on. It doesn't move when I start the car. No code lights are on and the adjustment up and down screw does nothing? Something must be wrong with an adjuster or such as u mentioned! I work In KOP so Philly isn't that far for me from there! Do u have a garage?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 AM

Don't have a garage but there is plenty of off-street parking. I'll pm you my number when I get to a computer. On my phone right now.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 AM

I'm not too worried that it doesn't move up and down or such. I would like to be able to adjust it a tad higher than its sitting right now! I was going to jack the car, remove the fender plastic to gain access to the light panel in hopes to be able to adjust the light from there somehow. I only need to adjust it up a few turns to get it from being low. It's not pointing at the ground or such just lower than my taste

Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Ok cool thanks dude

Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM

@FDriller9 / @spankey, Let me know how this turns out. I've never poked around in these headlights before, but I'll be exploring today to see what I can figure out.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 11-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Standard Disclaimer: You should not do anything listed below. Vehicle damage or bodily harm may result. Any attempt to replicate the work which was performed below will constitute an agreement to hold me harmless from any negative results however severe or insevere they may be.

FYI, I removed the front bumper and the headlight assembly. What I found was that there were a few small broken plastic bits floating around in the assembly.

The main issue, however, was that the ball & socket responsible for raising and lowering the obelisk were not seated properly (as Driller hypothesized).

If you open up the main access panel on the back of the HL assembly...

...the elevation of the obelisk is controlled by the circular assembly connected with two T20 screws to the interior of the headlight (shown in the top left of the access panel in the image below).

Once the screws are removed, if the ball joint attached to the small circular motor/head comes right out and is not attached to anything (as below), this is likely at least a part of your problem as well.

With patience and finesse, reinsert the ball joint to the cylindrical sleeve (slide it in from the top rather than trying to force it into the center). In the image below, you can sort of see the sleeve through the hole through which the ball joint is inserted.

Reassemble the headlight assembly and temporarily reinstall it to the vehicle without reinstalling the bumper in order to confirm proper operation. If all is well, button her up & enjoy. If not, veriify that the ball joint is still sitting in the sleeve and (if so) further diagnosis may be needed.

You might be able to do all this without removing the front bumper/headlight assembly, but I didn't want to deal with the discomfort of attempting to diagnose with my head shoved into a wheel well.

Good luck! Pics have been added.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 11-03-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks! That's awesome! I will try this too! Removing the bumper and such! Pics would be good!
Enjoy your new light movement!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Pics added, brother. Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you! You're awesome! I will try this this week! I lost my day today doing other things round the house!
Keep u posted on my findings

Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Former- I see u had the car jacked up, is that required to remove the bumper cover?
Thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Also I now see why these lights cost so dang much! You would think BMW would make a clip or such to keep the socket from coming out! Seems like this happens to many owners over time???

Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 PM

You don't need to remove the bumper and headlight. If you jack the car up and take the wheel off, you can then take the liner off and you'll have access to the back of the headlight. Open the cover and just pull on the projector assembly.

This happens all the time. I've fixed many issues like this and all you do is pull on the assembly back on the ball joint.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Ok thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You don't need to remove the bumper and headlight. If you jack the car up and take the wheel off, you can then take the liner off and you'll have access to the back of the headlight. Open the cover and just pull on the projector assembly.

This happens all the time. I've fixed many issues like this and all you do is pull on the assembly back on the ball joint.
Good knowledge.

I kind of figured the full disassembly wasn't required once I saw what the issue was, but (having never dealt with the light internals before) I thought I would make it easy on myself to explore the internals and see how it works. It makes sense that keeping the ball joint screwed in and tugging on the projector assembly would work.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM

Former another quick question? Was the bumper hard to remove? I assume screws under the hood by the radiator and then under the bumper itself right?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankey View Post
Former another quick question? Was the bumper hard to remove? I assume screws under the hood by the radiator and then under the bumper itself right?

Thanks

4 torx by the radiator. About 10 8mm screws for the splash shield. Another 3-4 in each fender securing liner to bumper. Then 2, 8mm (on each side) screws securing the bumper to the fender by the headlight.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM

To access the back cover, you just need to remove the wheel and remove the 3-4 screws securing the liner to the fender. And another 2-3 under the bumper/liner.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM

And still have room to work under the wheel area?