Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2006
Fuel Pump Relay?

Hello. New to Bimmerfest, but have for past 12-yrs only owned BMWs (X5 and M3), and have read the thread at times to diagnose problems. Been very helpful.

Trying to keep my 2006 E53 X5 3.0i running for a while longer, and few days ago it died out overnight, after working perfectly the night before. Engine cranks, but doesn't start. Gave the battery an overnight trickle charge, thinking maybe the New England cold caused the problem. Nope...same cranking issue. Saw that fuel gauge showed empty (with key half turned), so added 5-gals and gauge still reads empty and still cranking issue. Read a bunch of forums/google/youtube, and appears that all the symptoms point to a possible fuel pump relay malfunction. I checked the 3 places where the relay might be (trunk box, front hood fuse box and glove compartment fuse box). Nowhere can I find the relay which supposedly is a light green plug with markings ++0452 / 52c. Not able to find a diagram either which shows the exact location for the plug for my model and how to access it.

Hoping to first check if this $20 plug is the fault, before having car towed to BMW for what will most likely be a $2-3k repair. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erik
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
Fuel Pump relay

When I tell you where it is you are going to cry. It's on TOP of the glove box. Top should be fuel relay & bottom horn relay. My car is an 01' 4.4i X5 You have to remove the entire glove box. Once you do that, there are some screws that mount the fuse box to the car. Remove those screws. Pull the box down, the relays are on top of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box 1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	545176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160107_171717.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	545177  
Old 01-07-2016, 03:36 PM

I posted pictures for you.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 PM

Thank You

Tanjee. That pic is awesome. I had read on another post that the relays were up there past the fuse box, but when I shined a light up into the opening and couldn't see the relays, was honestly about to give up. Your image is the best one to explain exactly where it resides. Tomorrow will remove the fuse box and give that relay a little knock and hopefully will start up. Then can get a replacement. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Erik
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 AM

Erik I walkee this path. In my case it eas the actual pump which is very affordable to replace it's a few hundred dollars vs a few thousand at BMW. Replace the pump. Of on fact it's not the pump well you might need one in a few years anyway.

1. Start with the relay understanding it's only a few bucks. Don't hit it just get a new one to be sure. If it's only the relay it's money well invested.

2. Fully charge the battery. I actually have a bsttery charger at home that I have used plenty of times not to mention the other day when it got cold. A $40 charger has neen one of my better investments. I usually pull the entire battery and charge it inside if jimp starting does not work.

3. To diagnose if fuel is flowing you can also get a can of fuel starter and spray it in the air intake if car starts ......as mines did in this case it comfirmed there was an issue with fuel getting to the engine. It was cranking but not turning over.In my case it was tje pump which in my car is easy to replace and is plug and play very simple. At most keep the doors open bc of the smell of gas.

I say get a nee relay bc relays can burn out.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Problem Solved

Tanjee. So all is resolved...for now at least. I ended up replacing the Fuel Pump Relay and still no start. So had the car towed to BMW. Took them a while to start it, but eventually they did. Engine was flooded. The fuel gauge still read zero, so they went to fill up the tank....was actually full and not taking any more gas. So they disconnected the fuel pump and reconnected it....fuel gauge works, car is fine. For the first time in my life, I got a ridiculously good deal at BMW....only $154 for the tow, diagnostics and restart, since there were no parts to replace. They would've replaced the fuel pump relay, but I had already done that. Perhaps the relay had blown which caused this, or perhaps the fuel pump just froze up in the cold morning, but either way, all works great once again. Thanks for your help Tanjee...it for sure saved me $300-400 in replacing the fuel pump relay. Probably will need a new pump if it happens again, but for now my 153k mile Tank drives on.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Awesome!!! So you said it was flooded...I'm thinking flooded with gas? Oh my!!! My gauge does not read once it gets to the last quarter tank. I know that although the car is telling me I have a quarter tank my tank is really empty!!!!! One day it read I had a half of tank while on 95 my car starting delaying as if it were gonna die. I pulled over in the far right lane then it started feeling the same after another few miles, finally it started to die...as I felt the power drop in the car I put my hazards on and transitioned one lane over into the safely lane. Thank goodness b/c I had my three year old in the car. We were just rolling with no power down the saftey lane. The car was so heavy I guess b/c at this point it was just rolling with no power. I slowly and easily stepped on the brakes until we came to a full stop. It was DEAD!!! I thought the alternator had died.

While waiting for AAA I just sat thinking what could it be? So I called them back and said tell your dude to bring some gas please. We put gas in the tank and I did need a jump b/c I killed the battery by trying to crank the car over and over while waiting for them. The gas was the trick. Mind you, I was locked out of my hood of the car at that time so the jump start had to come from the rear where my battery is under the suspension compressor!!!! I was like this can't be real. Meanwhile we got it going and the AAA guy was like wow you know alot...he was so quick to try and tow me to repair shop. I'm like no, let's try my methods first and it worked. I later got under my hood after spending countless amounts of money for tools that were small enough to fit in the space I was working with.

If your car is aging, try to replace the bowden cable and hood locks...if you research a lot of us get locked out the front hood of the car b/c those cables fail!!! Once those hood release cables fail it's a horrible horrible experience that makes you develop a love hate relationship for the car. Look on this forum and youtube you will see people literally buy equipment to cut through metal to get back under the hood. I thank good I took time to think and figure it out. It took months to figure it out and my car was asking for coolant! I finally did but try to replace the bowden cables with original cables from BMW they are very, very affordable and at least you will have an exact fit. My cylinder key hole failed on me before I had to tow it and they had to break the driver side window, I'm talking about crush it to get into the car! I later replaced the cylinder myself. There is a spring inside that fails. Advice, they say lubricate inside the key hole so the metal won't corrode and break. Remember you only have one key hole so if it fails you will need the key release button to open the door b/c the cylinder will spin and spin and it won't release the lock on the door. So now, I lubricate inside the hole a so many moths after replacing the door cylinder lock. It's been a crazy journey with this car I'm just holding on like you. I will say had I had two key holes for the door I would have been fine. I could go on and on as you could see but my advice is change your hood release bowden cables so you won't get locked out your hood and if you ever feel your key hole is a little stiff or delayed lubricate the cylinder see how that works out and if it still gives you questionable signs change the cylinder which is a partially easy job but does present some challenges.

Last edited by TanjeeRides; 01-16-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Yikes

I plan on upgrading shortly, so hopefully will be ok til then, but I have it serviced quite regularly at BMW Darien, who are always honest and helpful in describing what truly needs to be repaired. Thanks again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search