Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Does TPMS work like we think it works??

Let me know if I am confused, but I thought this is how our TPMS works.

Set tire pressure manually, hit reset. The car now learns tire pressure of X. Tire pressure drops by some amount and you get a low tire pressure warning. Correct?

I have a left rear tire that is now losing about 2-3 psi a week (was losing 1 psi a week). My rear tire pressure was reset at 39 psi weeks ago (certain about this). I measured the tire on a number of occasions and found the tire pressure was 35 psi and once it was even 34 psi. I never got a low tire warning. Actually I have never gotten a low tire warning with the BMW sensors during the 3 years I have owned the car.. Seems strange to me.

I am thinking perhaps the reset does next to nothing (other than to learn the sensor) and the car simply alarms at a hard coded 30 psi or something.

So.. has anyone reset the system at 39 and found it actually gave an alarm higher than it would if it was set at 35 psi?? If anyone can confirm it would be appreciated.

On a related note, I dropped off the suspect tire this morning at a tire shop. I have on a full size 17" spare with no sensor. I drove 5 miles and started the car 3 times. No warning yet I know some have said it can take many miles to signal a missing sensor though.
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
The system alerts when a tire is 25% below the set point. A 25% drop from 39 psig is ~29 psig. You haven't let the tire leak down enough to trip the alert.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well you can test it by letting the air out of a tire, one at a time and see if the light comes on

that way you can test all 4, best to have a compressor to do this test
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
The system alerts when a tire is 25% below the set point. A 25% drop from 39 psig is ~29 psig. You haven't let the tire leak down enough to trip the alert.
25%.. Wow seems like a lot!! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Yeah 10llbs when is when mine went off.

Yeah 10llbs low is when is when mine went off.
But I only have the rotational sensors.

For as expensive as the sensors in the tires are I don't see why they don't give you
direct readout accurate to the same error as a digital pressure gauge.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
For as expensive as the sensors in the tires are I don't see why they don't give you
direct readout accurate to the same error as a digital pressure gauge.
They can and do transmit that information to the car. BMW has decided we don't want to see it.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
They can and do transmit that information to the car. BMW has decided we don't want to see it.
That's right, each transmitter reads pressure to the tenth of a pound, and temperature within 1F degree. With the right tool you can trigger each sensor and read the output in seconds. At my shop we no longer use tire pressure gauges, they're so last millenium. We read pressure by asking each sensor to tell us the pressure.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
That's right, each transmitter reads pressure to the tenth of a pound, and temperature within 1F degree. With the right tool you can trigger each sensor and read the output in seconds. At my shop we no longer use tire pressure gauges, they're so last millenium. We read pressure by asking each sensor to tell us the pressure.
Just curious, is there a way to recode the On Board Computer to display this info via the dash readout and left stalk?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
25%.. Wow seems like a lot!! Thanks for the info.
During the TPMS rulemaking procedure and comment period (prior to the final rule), the tire industry and U.S. tire standards organization; The Tire and Rim Assn., thought it was "a lot" also and protested to the NHTSA that it was a dangerously low "alarm" level...but our government beaurocrats knew better (trust us, we're from the government). It got nasty between the feds and the industry.

For this reason (IMO) a TPMS "alarm" shouldn't be ignored and the tire pressure should be re-set as soon as possible.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
just like they decided that we dont want a dip stick in the engine to check oil
Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
It would be nice to see it as

It would be nice to see it as you could recognize a trend in a leaker.
Plus all the times the tell you to keep your tires topped of because of
fuel economy.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Plus all the times they tell you to keep your tires topped off because of fuel economy.
This is how we fix the economy quicker! Didn't we all hear that from the Anointed One?

On a more serious note, all my tires are inflated w/ Nitrogen. But how do I go about checking/maintaining pressures if I have a regular air inflator for emergencies?

Is there a system for Nitrogen w/o going to the dealership? I like Nitrogen's stability in varying temps (no flat spots on cold mornings).
Old 09-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post
On a more serious note, all my tires are inflated w/ Nitrogen. ... I like Nitrogen's stability in varying temps (no flat spots on cold mornings).
Oh, no. You didn't just take us there, did you? Please say it ain't so....

Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Quote:
Oh, no. You didn't just take us there, did you? Please say it ain't so....
Ahhhh!!!! So that is why you didn't want to go down that road.

I come from a racing background (motorcycle road courses) and when we got into the upper echelon, our tire supplier gave us Nitrogen bottles. And yes, it was very convenient to not have to chase the pressures over the day once set.

Being this is a car thread, I didn't know better. So, I must congratulate the great Search feature on the forum, that I'm now a smarter man!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM

I'll post an update as it's been an exciting few days.

1. Tire had a hole. It has been plugged from the inside and outside (yes, it is a run flat). It was never driven with lower than 34 PSI in it.
2. Picked up my wheel and there are scratches all around the perimeter and a huge gash that looks like the wheel was hit with a hammer!!
3. Wheel is back at the tire shop being re-finished today. They assured me they wouldn't be removing the wheel from the tire to refinish.

I didn't go the dealer because I knew more than likely a tire loosing a few PSI a week has a hole in it (if not a valve stem). From reading on this board I knew the dealer doesn't patch but would sell me a new tire. So going to the tire shop cost $25 repair, but majorly screwed up my wheel. No win situation. At least the shop is fixing the wheel.

As a side note, I have been driving around since Friday with my full size spare on the rear. This wheel doesn't have a sensor in it. No TPMS warnings whatsoever. I have driven about 70 miles total. The tire with the sensor was in the trunk during most of that time so I am wondering if it was reading correctly from the trunk. I thought the sensors only transmitted when the tire was roating.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
2. Picked up my wheel and there [is] a huge gash that looks like the wheel was hit with a hammer!!
3. Wheel is back at the tire shop being re-finished today. They assured me they wouldn't be removing the wheel from the tire to refinish.
Interpretation: They will make a putty-based repair using materials similar to this kit. Cosmetically, this will be fine but is not as durable as repairs that can be effected with the tire dismounted (i.e., weld new material into damaged areas and refinish the entire wheel). The next time you have a tire serviced on that wheel, expect to see scuffs or fresh gouges in the repaired area(s), requiring another repair.

Unfortunately, the time to insist on a welded repair of a large gouge (which must go to a wheel repair specialty shop) was before you gave the wheel back to the tire shop, so just take this under advisement in case you suffer this misfortune again someday. It's nice that they agreed to refinish it at all--tales of tire shops denying responsibility for wheel damage are not uncommon.

Last edited by Zeichen311; 09-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Interpretation: They will make a putty-based repair using materials similar to this kit. Cosmetically, this will be fine but is not as durable as repairs that can be effected with the tire dismounted (i.e., weld new material into damaged areas and refinish the entire wheel). The next time you have a tire serviced on that wheel, expect to see scuffs or fresh gouges in the repaired area(s), requiring another repair.

Unfortunately, the time to insist on a welded repair of a large gouge (which must go to a wheel repair specialty shop) was before you gave the wheel back to the tire shop, so just take this under advisement in case you suffer this misfortune again someday. It's nice that they agreed to refinish it at all--tales of tire shops denying responsibility for wheel damage are not uncommon.
Thanks for the tip.

Using the word "gash" may have been a little bit too strong. It didn't look deep enough to have metal missing but rather all the paint was gone and you could see bare metal. I would doubt putty would even be needed judging my depth.

We will see. Lease ends in Feb, but I am strongly considering buying this car judging from the loaner F30 I had.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Just curious, is this an open standard? What is it called? And what frequency do these suckers transmit on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
mine works perfectly fine

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code