Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Hard top will not close all the way

My 2008 335i (about 37,000 miles) hard top has been working fine up until this morning. Top went down no problem but when I went to put the top back up it went part way then stopped. Red blinking light. I am able to put the top back down fine but when I try opening again - the same thing happens. This repeated several times.

Did a search and didn't find anyone with the exact same problem. Could it be one of the infamous micro-switches? Alignment pin(s) not retracting?
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
My guess would be a switch not working,

unless you know where all the switches are and can fiddle with them, sounds like a dealer trip.

is the car parked at an angle? I know it wont operate if the car exceeds a certain angle side to side

try moving the car to a flatter area and repeat the closing process
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherbmw View Post
My 2008 335i (about 37,000 miles) hard top has been working fine up until this morning. Top went down no problem but when I went to put the top back up it went part way then stopped. Red blinking light. I am able to put the top back down fine but when I try opening again - the same thing happens. This repeated several times.

Did a search and didn't find anyone with the exact same problem. Could it be one of the infamous micro-switches? Alignment pin(s) not retracting?

>AHEM<

>COUGH<
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
You would need to read the codes from the top module and see if it is indicating which one of the 100 switches and sensors is acting up. I think the dealer can run a test plan also if there isn't a specific code for it, but sounds like a dealer may be needed in this case.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
You would need to read the codes from the top module and see if it is indicating which one of the 100 switches and sensors is acting up. I think the dealer can run a test plan also if there isn't a specific code for it, but sounds like a dealer may be needed in this case.
Well after the car sitting in my garage for a few hours I tried the top again and it went up and down fine. I drove it to dinner and again it worked fine. I don't know what to do at this point. Should I still take it to the dealer (would there still be codes stored in the module even if the top is working ok?). The top mechanism is long overdue for lubrication and I'm wondering if that is the issue. I was thinking of doing it myself this weekend and waiting a while to see if the problem repeats.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Walk down memory lane!!!

We used to have such fun with our problems. Nowdays, they are just serious.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherbmw View Post
Well after the car sitting in my garage for a few hours I tried the top again and it went up and down fine. I drove it to dinner and again it worked fine. I don't know what to do at this point. Should I still take it to the dealer (would there still be codes stored in the module even if the top is working ok?). The top mechanism is long overdue for lubrication and I'm wondering if that is the issue. I was thinking of doing it myself this weekend and waiting a while to see if the problem repeats.

Prob will - salmon relays cheap as dirt....
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Walk down memory lane!!!

We used to have such fun with our problems. Nowdays, they are just serious.

I blame-a tight money.....second or third owners often are 'cause the price is right. Expensive repairs are high indeed considering the cost of acquisition!

Who wants to pay a 30% premium to fix a car they just bought? Pass the Prozac, please. Wash it down w/bourbon and it's still expensive. Oof!

Name:  Knocked Out.gif
Views: 92
Size:  5.1 KB

So whatta we got? Some sad sacks....but help's just a click away: DIY

Yes maam, the volume of video, text, and photo assistance is amazing. You worried owners, get thee to the tool shed - you got some learnin' to do....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.