Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.4
trans fail safe & other warning lights -HELP!

Hello, I am a bmw noob & own a 2006 bmw x5 4.4l w 100k miles and need some direction or help. After driving approx. 10 miles with everything normal, like clockwork, I get a dashboard full of warning indicators (ABS, BRAKE, DSC) along with the TRANS FAILSAFE message. Also, the speedometer works intermittently or cuts out completely. The entire brake system is brand new as is the battery. Air pressure is correct in the tires. I just had the battery, voltage regulator, & alternator load tested in the last hour at Advanced Auto Parts and everything appeared to be correct. No load 14.5 vs load 14.3. I have read that it could be the ABS module, the DSC module, the wheel speed sensors, etc ... my question is: Am I missing something else it could be? Also, the trans failsafe does not appear in MANUAL mode but the other warning indicators do. The transmission has a slight hiccup from 1st to 2nd gear also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TY
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
You got to get the truck scan and tell us the trouble codes.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM

ok, making an aptmt at and indy tomm. .... thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
With the intermittent speedometer I bet when you get the X scanned you will have a bad left rear wheel sensor.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM

after replacing the abs wheel sensors, it still didn't correct the dash error lights so I took it to the dealer and had a full diagnostics. They said I need an abs dsc module & also I need a new alternator because I was getting error codes associated with voltage spikes. I plan on pulling the module out & having it rebuilt at module masters. I will have an indy put in a new alternator. The dealer price for both repairs is absolutely outrageous... The good news is they said the tranny & transfer case are fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0d
Hi there,
I had much trouble with my 05 diesel, trans fail safe warning, abs warning ,no radio, no steering wheel controls, no lower console controls.
No Fault codes
traced it down to a worn out ignition switch
one for all to remember
cheers
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: X 5 3d
I have an X5 3d 2006, trans, fail safe came on as well 4x4 lights came on, and gears not working until i stop and start the car, i changed the transfer case and the problem is still the same........any advice out there/
Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: X 5 3d
worn ignition

Ozzy< did that also affect the gears?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I'll put my money on a failing alternator. Had pretty much the same issues on mine. The car would die out while driving and barely kick over when I tried to restart it. Had the same errors got the alternator replace hadn't had the issue again. I can't guarantee, but I feel you should look into. You too Zeka.

Edit: and for the "Hiccup" common problem among us. does it happen when you slow down, say to a stop sign, and then accelerate again?

Last edited by KyleNatoliX5; 09-17-2013 at 08:59 PM.