Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
2008 335i - Looking to buy my first BMW

Hello everyone! First time posting here but definitely not my first time coming to this forums for answers to my research questions.

Just a little background on myself. My first car ever, when I got my license at the age of 16 was a gift from my uncle - 1987 325is auto - He had it sitting in his shop for a while with a bad head. He told me that if I could help him fix it, he would give it to me. Now that it has been 3 years since he passed away, I regret ever selling that car, it truly was an amazing car and it only ever let me down once.

Anyways, onward to today. I have been doing a lot of research regarding which BMW I should buy. I have ALWAYS had my heart set on the E46 M3, but I could never find a decent one within my price rang and have been "coached" on how unreliable they are by a family friend who works as a tech at BMW.

With this in mind, I decided to look into getting a 335i hoping that having a newer would just be better overall. Upon doing days of research, I have come to find a lot of people complaining about the HPFP problems. My question regarding this matter is this:

If the 335i I am looking to purchase has 88K miles on it... what are the chances that this problem has occurred already and has been fixed, or if it has not happened already, what are the chances of it happening now after 88K miles?

I understand that probability of something happening is anyones guess, but I just want some reassurance that the chances of this tremendously expensive repair are out of the questions after so many miles.

I am still going to have my mechanic look at it before I make any final decisions; I just wanted to hear from a few different people.

By the way, this is a 6 speed.

I think that this is all the information one would need to give some sort of judgement. If anyone wants me to clarify anything else, please let me know. Thank you all for your input!

By the way, the one I am looking at is going to cost me 22K out the door.

Last edited by aDallo; 09-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You may need a intake valve cleaning

You may need a intake valve cleaning with that many miles.
Look up Walnut Blasting .
Any turbo car will require more maintenance and repair than an
NA car it the price of performance.(on average)
The HPFP is warranty to 10 years or 120k .
The turbos are warranted to 80k I believe.
You should pull a maintenance history .
Manuals are rare grab it if you love it.
Also newer isn't always better.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-21-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Where can I find maintenance history if it has more than 1 owner and they have not all been done at BMW?

Last edited by aDallo; 09-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: WRX
$22k sounds high for 88k miles. With this mileage, things you might want to consider also

Water pump (about $600 including labor)
Transmission oil leak
Coil pack/Plugs

Your turbo is no longer under warranty so wastegate issue will probably show up soon (guessing here as a few people have this issue but mine is still ok at 66k miles)

Hate to talk you out of it but definitely take the above into consideration. You're looking at at least $3-4k for maintenance coming up (this is really paranoid but then it's good as it's not small money)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 PM

It did seem high at first, but I KKBed it and it is actually worth 23k. It has every single option except cold weather pkg. I purchased a 3 year 36K mile warranty that covers literally everything. That was the main selling point for me. I'm very very very happy with it. Finally! I'm part of the family. =P